Long Line Memories and Line Etiquette, Your Worst Line Experiences

NickPytlinski

That would be something that wouldn't even make me blink. One person went and got snacks. Not a big deal even if that person didn't initially join the line. If he or she hadn't done that they would be in front of you anyway. There is no difference other then timing. They wouldn't miss their place in line to have everyone leave and get something so they still would have been in front of you no matter what. They have gained nothing and you have lost nothing in the process.

The bigger problems are the situations where one or two people hold a place in line for many others that is wrong on many levels. I think if we are going to prevent ourselves from getting ulcers we need to evaluate every situation and logically think about whether or not their action really affected you all that much. People just blatantly working their way up a line, cutting corners short and getting in front of you if you so much as stumble, should be taken out into the middle of Main Street, stripped naked and covered with French Fries.

lol yes i tend to agree.

Parker in NYC

I hesitate to mention this long queue-line jumping experience, but several visits ago my DH and I were in line at BTMRR. Both sides of the queues were filled to capacity due to large crowds. When we had finally advanced to the ramp leading down to the trains, we chose side A. Shortly after making the turn, a group of about 20 (from a South American country) who were still at the top of the ramp climbed over the railing and fed into the queue with their country mates. There was nothing that could be done, short of a full-fledged brawl.

I will be sure to steer clear of anyone from a South American country. Thanks for the tip!

Goofyernmost

I'd have to say that 90% of my WDW visits have been in February. One of my goals was to get out of the ice and snow for a week plus my children had mid-winter break during that time. I continued on the February habit even after I retired and my kids were grown and married. In the last decade I have seen an increase in the groups, but maybe I have an odor or something that repels them away from me or my luck as been beyond good.

I have never seen any line cutting at all from them. I have heard the chants but always believed that they had come there to have a good time and that is what they were doing. I've heard it in queue lines but never during a ride or a show. Just my experience so I am having a hard time trying to figure out just what the problem is. If it is just noise, it might be time for us to loosen our sphincters just a tad and let people enjoy themselves. All we are going to be doing is burying our noses in our cell phones anyway. It's not like anyone in our groups are going to have anything important to say.

SamPR810

One a trip a few years back, we were getting to the end of the SM queue, where sometimes they'll call out for parties of the appropriate size. There was this group of five ahead of us that were annoyed that it had happened twice up to that point and were complaining to themselves about it. They were mocking the cast member quite loudly by the 3rd time it happened, as they were approaching the end.

Eventually the Cast Member hears them, and they are being mean and viscous. I was about to say something when she looks over to me and motions that she's okay. She then proceeds to call out for groups she really doesn't need to, and I guess the parties ahead of the unruly one didn't mind making them wait. Because even if they fit the size called, they'd just let other groups go. Heck... we even got called up before them, much to their displeasure.

It doesn't end there though, as we are viewing our pictures we start chatting with the folks from ahead of them. They end up getting off soon after and begin demanding that the cast member there call a manager immediately. We jump in and start refuting their claims about the CM and saying we'd like to each submit praise for the CM, which at least our group did :)

etherius1960

We meticulously planned our last vacation to Disney around the lowest attendance week on the “prediction” calendars... second and third weeks of February. Sadly, our last trip to the Crowded Kingdom. Lines were so long that one day we only rode four attractions. In February. To make matters worse. In Buzz Lightyear, we had waited and waited and waited outside, but as we neared the entrance to the building, a thirty-year old in front of us raised a triangular flag... neon green... and around forty teenagers rushed in from all over to cut in line in front of us. No one did anything about it. Seems it’s perfectly fine. Instead of staying in the line, we left... totally. Went over to Universal Studios. There wasn’t nearly the crowd as was at WDW. In addition, even their most crowded attractions have queue’s that are themed and entertaining. I used to love Disney, but I’m a Universal Studios guy now

Bpmorley

We meticulously planned our last vacation to Disney around the lowest attendance week on the “prediction” calendars... second and third weeks of February. Sadly, our last trip to the Crowded Kingdom. Lines were so long that one day we only rode four attractions. In February. To make matters worse. In Buzz Lightyear, we had waited and waited and waited outside, but as we neared the entrance to the building, a thirty-year old in front of us raised a triangular flag... neon green... and around forty teenagers rushed in from all over to cut in line in front of us. No one did anything about it. Seems it’s perfectly fine. Instead of staying in the line, we left... totally. Went over to Universal Studios. There wasn’t nearly the crowd as was at WDW. In addition, even their most crowded attractions have queue’s that are themed and entertaining. I used to love Disney, but I’m a Universal Studios guy now
I feel ya on that. But there is no way they would get in front of me without a fight. I'm pretty adamant about anyone getting in front of me at all. That being said, lady with a kid catching up to other family members I'll take it as a bathroom trip. But no way after waiting for an hour will any able bodied person get in front of me. after an hour, you would have seen that person leave the line to use the facilities or whatever so it's 100% one person holding a place to let everyone else cut. I've had words with adults, teenagers, those foreign groups, etc.... Sorry but no way. My time is just as valuable as anyone elses.

Very circumstantial for me. If it's one person joining a group, fine. Or a parent having to take their child to the bathroom--again, no problem. On my last trip, though, we had a few issues in DHS. The most egregious was this (apologies in advance, I kind of just want to rant about it):

While waiting in line for MFSR, there were two people in front of us. This was during the portion of the queue along the back of the Falcon. There's a barrier on the right side, but on the other side of the barrier is open park space. So first, the two people in front of us open a gate to let two additional people in. The line moves a bit, and then they open the rope to let another person in. So now a group of two turned into a group of five. These were all grown humans. Some were wearing passholder gear, the others decked head to toe in matching Rose gold--Disneyland spirit jersey, ears, Loungefly backpack. I said something after the second instance, and of course they got all defensive, saying things like:
  • "They had to go to the bathroom! What would you have done?" I responded that I would wait for them to use the bathroom before getting in line. "Well, that's not how we do things."
  • "This happens all the time. You must never go to Disney parks."
They proceeded to be super obnoxious the rest of the queue, audibly talking about my group, bragging about things that they've done in the parks, joking about cutting in line. I was SO relieved when we got split up at merge.

At the end of the day, after typing this out, it probably wasn't a huge deal. I was more bothered by their entitled attitude. Like, if you're going to split up, at least do the walk of shame and go through the regular queue. And apologize when someone calls you out.

Later, we had another issue at TSMM, where people kept joining the group in front of us, turning a group of 3 into a group of 10+. At one point, the people around us in line physically stopped letting them through, and it became kind of a thing. My mom complained to the CM at merge and got us a FP for our troubles.
I have to agree with you! It's my thinking, that if you are just waiting on one or two people who catch up to a group.. I will grin and bear it and move on. However, if people keep coming and their group is growing and growing.. I'll tell you right now, my husband will say something. It's wrong..... Wait for your entire group and then go get in line. Cut is a cut is a cut.. unless it's potty breaks.. etc... I can't stand rude people. We are all there to have fun and enjoy our vacations..

Pepper's Ghost

Not queue related, but I’ll leave this one here

View attachment 447562

I really, really don't understand this phenomena. I'm sure there are plenty of fine people on this forum that do this kind of thing, but I simply don't understand the need for people to have the perfect place on Main Street, or to camp outside the night before release in a tent outside Best Buy to be the first to get the new Call of Duty game, or whatever. Or camping out to be in line to see the new Star Wars. Don't get me wrong. I love many of those things. I'm a huge SW fan, but I'm perfectly good with waiting a week or two and then seeing it in a mostly empty theater. I just ignore any talk about the movie and don't read any reviews until I've seen it.

People spend much of their time waiting to be first. I just don't understand. Life is so short, why wait to an extreme for anything like that.

Not exactly a Disney queue thing, but am I the only one who gets great pleasure from seeing someone who passes you on the expressway via the emergency lane just to see them 5 mins later pulled over in the emergency lane getting a traffic ticket? :) I hate people who think their time is simply much more valuable than yours.

Edit: I'm not saying there's anything wrong with camping out, or saving your space and waiting for hours. I sincerely just don't understand watching life go by like that. :)

Daddyoh

Why can't we all just get along ? Yes line jumping is unacceptable, but sometimes "nature calls". Think about this we're all heading in one direction and it's not being younger, it only needs the simple understanding, like your in a traffic jam, where you gonna go ? Lets remember we're all on vacation ! so let's just get along.

Bpmorley

Why can't we all just get along ? Yes line jumping is unacceptable, but sometimes "nature calls". Think about this we're all heading in one direction and it's not being younger, it only needs the simple understanding, like your in a traffic jam, where you gonna go ? Lets remember we're all on vacation ! so let's just get along.
nobody is disputing about "nature calls" but after an hour 40 people we not taking a bathroom break.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom