Loaded gun found on Animal Kingdom ride

Status
Not open for further replies.

wdwfan4ver

Easy, logic fix:
Disney puts up signs at each security checkpoint explaining what is and isn't allowed, with the explanation that any violation will result in a permanent ban (if they have not done this already, I guess I've never paid attention)

Likely results:
Disney institutes full body pat-downs and metal detectors that slow the entry point to a crawl.
I think crawl is an understatement.
The metal detectors is going to affect a lot people's time in the parks more than just being scanned.

I am saying that because I had a pat down at an airport in 2010 and metal detectors went off on me multiple times because I got a metal plate in left hip from surgery in 1996. The pat down took about 2 to 5 minutes besides security asking me a question.

I am sure that a lot of people had metal detectors off and getting a pat down in the airport because of stuff that was inserted in the body from surgery. While i didn't mind the pat down for security, but I don't think a lot of people that get pulled out line for a theme park would like it.

PhilharMagician

No. But if he was a Responsible gun owner it would not just simply be in his pocket.

He would have it holstered properly.
Everyone on the ride is lucky that the gun did not go off accidentally on the ride after being thrashed around like you do on Dino. The safety could easily have been disengaged without the gun being secured.

This person just gives the gun haters more ammo to work with.

aladdin2007

I honestly have felt the security checks were WAY too easy to get through.

Agree, half the time they barely look through bags, some do more thoroughly than others. One problem is so many now bringing their rolling luggage into the parks with them and colossal backpacks, anymore with the way things are it just shouldnt be allowed.

Sassagoula-Rvr

Honestly the day WDW goes full on TSA screening is probably the day I consider not returning...I've had enough of the fear culture. However, I hate how many morons are willing to ruin things for everyone....don't bring your weapons to a kids park.

And as far as politics go...I hate when people politicize firearms...I hold fairly liberal views on almost every issue...but our family has always had guns...I had someone come up to me and start trashing our president and his policies...I informed him that I am a supporter of many of those policies...and they responded, "Well we figured since you're a gun owner you share our views." Since when did owning a gun signify that you hold certain political views? It's a FOUNDING Principle of our country...regardless of party...One of the first amendments to our constitution.

: Political rant over, back to the Laughin' Place: :)

jakeman

I'm not sure about the laws in Florida, but in North Carolina it is illegal to carry in any establishment that charges admission.

It is also up to the establishment to dictate if weapons are allowed and if they say no then even someone with a legal CCW permit can be trespassed.

Regardless, I'm not sure I would want many of you dictating the extent of my Constitutional rights based on your reaction to this thread.

With that said, the man should have been aware of the policies and acted accordingly (which would have meant leaving his firearm at home), and he should bear the full consequences of his actions, both with relation to WDW and the local authorities.

c-one

Nothing political about it -- if you manage to lose a loaded gun in a public place filled with kids in a situation that could easily trigger an accidental fire, you're not responsible enough to carry a gun. No different than taking away an irresponsible driver's driving privileges.

The trick is, how does Disney prevent something like this from happening without going full TSA? I'd be curious to find out how many parkgoers are packing on any given day. Probably more than we think with a scary percentage of dangerous dweebs like this guy.

Nmoody1

Lets just be thankful that think didn't go off in-ride and take out one of the dinosaurs.... It's already lacking in dino's!

On a more serious note - it's disgusting to bring a loaded gun into a theme park. Why oh why would you need to carry a gun around a theme park. You wouldn't take a gun to a government building, you wouldn't take a gun to the Statue of Liberty, you wouldn't take a gun to a child's school play. Why is a theme park any different... What are you going to even use a gun for in a theme park?

There is national outcry every time a gun atrocity happens... Shall we cast our minds back to horrible events at cinemas, schools etc. what if this gun had got into the wrong hands (as It easily could have apparently) and someone had actually hurt or even killed someone in the park, I'm pretty sure everyone would be up in arms that a)it happened in the park b) someone brought it into the park and c) disney let someone bring it into the park.

Responsible user or not... Taking a gun into a family theme park is not responsible - and highly uncalled for.

Whilst I'd hate to see airport security added to my disney day out, it makes you wonder if current searches are enough. It always has taken a tragedy to wake people up - sadly!

luv

Since everyone is asking, the reason you might need a gun a Disney World is because a bad guy might go in one day and start shooting little kids.

A good guy might need a gun to stop him.

I pray that Disney has prepared for such an event, but I'm not sure they have.

GrumpyFan

Since everyone is asking, the reason you might need a gun a Disney World is because a bad guy might go in one day and start shooting little kids.

Perhaps, but I pray we never have to find out if they have.

PhotoDave219

Original Poster
Walt Disney World is private property.

If they choose not to permit firearms or other weapons on its premises, that is their right to do so.

If you do not agree with that particular policy, you do not need to spend money on themepark admission and visit the Walt Disney World resort.

Animaniac93-98

Listen, even if you're allowed to bring a gun into Disney World, you'd have to have a screw loose to feel the need to pack heat there. If the world is that unsafe, stay home, put bars on the windows and lock the doors.

Paranoia's a , isn't it?

You may have the right to own a gun, but you do not have the "right" to do whatever you want with it, especially on private property.

Metal detectors would not be new to me as someone who has visited Canada's Wonderland.

PhotoDave219

Original Poster

Don't forget alien invasion, zombie apocalypse, the rapture, and all other scenarios that are unlikely to come to pass.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom