Loaded gun found on Animal Kingdom ride

Status
Not open for further replies.

G00fyDad

It was a dumb mistake, but hardly a punishable one, IMO.
Nobody was hurt, and he complied with their request to leave.

End of story, move along.

Wow.

Okay. You're point is understood. However, would you have said the same thing if a little kid had picked it up thinking it was a toy left behind and then fired it at his family thinking it was a game? I hope not. Sure, that didn't happen, but it could have. This is a very serious thing. The man needs more than a day out of the parks for this behavior. He knew full well that he was not to take the weapon into the parks. And I say this as a person that has a permit to carry even outside of my job. This was a very stupid thing for this man to do.

Timekeeper

Forgive me, but I'm not jumping down your throat here. There is nothing wrong with the "culture of guns". It's people like this guy, who was irresponsible, that makes responsible gun owners look bad. A truly responsible gun owner knows where their weapon is at all times.

Agreed.

However, there are some parents who don't want their children playing with toy guns, or are made uncomfortable by the simulated live gunfire found in a number of attractions and shows. Without commenting on any ongoing political issues, the prevalence of toy guns with various themes geared toward children that are available for sale on property is just a bit, ironic.

nytimez

Forgive me, but I'm not jumping down your throat here. There is nothing wrong with the "culture of guns". It's people like this guy, who was irresponsible, that makes responsible gun owners look bad. A truly responsible gun owner knows where their weapon is at all times.

He knew his weapon was on Dinosaur. See? He's responsible too!

Listen, even if you're allowed to bring a gun into Disney World, you'd have to have a screw loose to feel the need to pack heat there. If the world is that unsafe, stay home, put bars on the windows and lock the doors.

GrumpyFan

Wow.

Okay. You're point is understood. However, would you have said the same thing if a little kid had picked it up thinking it was a toy left behind and then fired it at his family thinking it was a game? I hope not. Sure, that didn't happen, but it could have. This is a very serious thing. The man needs more than a day out of the parks for this behavior. He knew full well that he was not to take the weapon into the parks. And I say this as a person that has a permit to carry even outside of my job. This was a very stupid thing for this man to do.

Like I said, it was dumb and careless of him, and yes it is serious. And, IF someone had been injured by it, then YES, I would want him held fully responsible for the damages/injuries caused, but the fact is that the gun was not fired, and nobody was hurt. However, in this country, we only charge people when an actual crime has been committed, and while this was careless, it was not a crime, except maybe of stupidity.

Goofnut1980

I could care less if someone wants to own a gun... I grew up around them and was taught to respect them, but any brainiac should know the time and the place. Now tell me, did you think you were going to have to protect yourself at Disney? It is not the time or the place. Some people just don't use their brains.

As you can see in my avitar picture i have a small Eddie Bauer messanger/shoulder bag. I use it to put my SLR camera, tide pen, photopass and my eyeglass case. Almost every time I go through security, they always ask me what it is, and I have to tell them eyeglass case. So how one can go through with a gun in their pocket and someone behind not seeing it is crazy!

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
Easy, logical fix:
Disney puts up signs at each security checkpoint explaining what is and isn't allowed, with the explanation that any violation will result in a permanent ban (if they have not done this already, I guess I've never paid attention)

Likely results:
Disney institutes full body pat-downs and metal detectors that slow the entry point to a crawl. Then they sell "pre-screened entry" for a fee.

Mark In KY

I could care less if someone wants to own a gun... I grew up around them and was taught to respect them, but any brainiac should know the time and the place. Now tell me, did you think you were going to have to protect yourself at Disney? It is not the time or the place. Some people just don't use their brains.

As you can see in my avitar picture i have a small Eddie Bauer messanger/shoulder bag. I use it to put my SLR camera, tide pen, photopass and my eyeglass case. Almost every time I go through security, they always ask me what it is, and I have to tell them eyeglass case. So how one can go through with a gun in their pocket and someone behind not seeing it is crazy!
And a fine looking bag it is. But, what in the heck does your eyeglass case look like that you have to explain it to security?

GrumpyFan

There is no need for it to turn political. It is a simple case of a moron and his lack of forethought. Who cares about gun control at this point? He had the weapon legally, but in the wrong place. That isn't political, its stupidity.

I agree completely, but, if you read some of the comments already, there is a whiff of a political air to some of them.

G00fyDad

Like I said, it was dumb and careless of him, and yes it is serious. And, IF someone had been injured by it, then YES, I would want him held fully responsible for the damages/injuries caused, but the fact is that the gun was not fired, and nobody was hurt. However, in this country, we only charge people when an actual crime has been committed, and while this was careless, it was not a crime.

Oh, I don't care for him to be charged for this. You got that wrong. I do feel that he should be given a stiffer penalty. It is quite obvious exactly what the bag checks are for, not just for bombs. He used a loophole to justify his ignorance. We can downplay this all we want, but there would be hell to pay if it had gone down differently. And there was a great chance that it could have.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom