Living with the Land Refurbishment 8/2/2009

fosse76

Disney has every right to close any attraction at anytime with or without warning. As a matter of fact, when you use a Disney ticket you use said ticket under those conditions

Now, I think they should've told people it was closing before it actually closed, but they have every right to close it when they want to with little to no explanation.

That may be true, but when they RAISING ADMISSION and offering LESS, then consumers have a right to know what they AREN'T getting.

jakeman

That may be true, but when they [are] RAISING ADMISSION and offering LESS, then consumers have a right to know what they AREN'T getting.
You should check the back of your park ticket. It pretty clearly spells out your rights upon purchase:
the back of Jakeman's annual pass said:
...Parks, attractions or entertainment may can operating hours; close due to refurbishing, capacity, weather or special events; and may otherwise change or be discontinued without notice and without liability to the owners of the Walt Disney World Resort...
Emphasis mine.

I'm sure if you don't agree to these terms, which it appears you don't, you can ask for a refund on your unused portion.

Was this a not so great PR move? Maybe a little. It probably affected literally tens of people.

Is this in your rights? Not according to the conditions that you purchased your tickets under.

SoupBone

Just a quick FYI for those who may not have noticed this but Living with the Land is in Wall-E. Specifically the scene where they show the crops, blueberries, etc towards the end of the ride. In the scene where the Captain is learning about earth he pulls up those scenes on his screen. I'm sure most of you noticed this but for the ones who didn't....enjoy. :)

captainkidd

You should check the back of your park ticket. It pretty clearly spells out your rights upon purchase:
Emphasis mine.

I'm sure if you don't agree to these terms, which it appears you don't, you can ask for a refund on your unused portion.

Was this a not so great PR move? Maybe a little. It probably affected literally tens of people.

Is this in your rights? Not according to the conditions that you purchased your tickets under.

If Disney starts getting into what they have the right to do versus doing the right thing, Disney ceases to be Disney on many levels.

JWG

Would you like to receieve text messages everytime Test Track goes 101 as well?

My unlimited text plan wouldn't be able to handle that many text messages. Yea, you read that right...

Seriously though - this would be a GREAT service if you could get it for your duration of stay. Both of my last trips various rides went 101 during my fast past return times and this would be nicer than having to stop back by at various times to see if it's up again. Epcot's improving with the tip boards, but not helpful if you're in America and wondering if you can now get on Test Track.

Just a quick FYI for those who may not have noticed this but Living with the Land is in Wall-E. Specifically the scene where they show the crops, blueberries, etc towards the end of the ride. In the scene where the Captain is learning about earth he pulls up those scenes on his screen. I'm sure most of you noticed this but for the ones who didn't....enjoy. :)

Those silly animators... CGI people... whatever they're called now... I guess this is confirmation that Living with the Land is now officially being converted to Wall-E Learns to Live with the Land. 3D screens are being installed as we speak.

jakeman

If Disney starts getting into what they have the right to do versus doing the right thing, Disney ceases to be Disney on many levels.
I agree, but I was responding to a fosse76's post regarding consumer rights, which are spelled out on the back of your ticket.

It is good customer service to inform your guest of ride refurbishments in a timely manner, but it is not a right as a consumer.

They are two completely different things.

captainkidd

I agree, but I was responding to a fosse76's post regarding consumer rights, which are spelled out on the back of your ticket.

It is good customer service to inform your guest of ride refurbishments in a timely manner, but it is not a right as a consumer.

Oh yeah - No doubt. Disney has done nothing wrong in terms of anyone rights as a consumer.

That's sort of the whole thing that bugs me. Disney doesn't operate on that mentality. What I would call a "Six Flags Mentality". They're better than that. It's part of what sets them apart from everyone else.

Wakkie Nu Nu

That's my biggest issue with this -- no one is bemoaning the refurb itself (even if it may have been caused by an avoidable error)... it's the breakdown in information distribution and communication that's concerning.

Not even so much as "I didn't get advance notice" or "Disney didn't tell me!" -- which advance notice is always good, I think we're all aware it's not always possible (unknown in this case).... My issue lies with CMs giving out false information (through no fault of their own), telling guests LwtL is OPEN, NO closures at Epcot, etc., days before a planned refurb and even while the ride is closed at that very moment. The tipboard is another animal altogether, I won't even TRY to explain that one.

In short: the way this was handled is likely to have a greater negative effect than had the ride simply gone down and that information made available to front line CMs/the public as soon as possible.

EPCOTPluto

I guess this is confirmation that Living with the Land is now officially being converted to Wall-E Learns to Live with the Land.
3D screens are being installed as we speak.
:eek: As much as I like Wall-E, perish the thought! :zipit:

Last thing needed is more CGI/Pixar in EPCOT...

krankenstein

That may be true, but when they RAISING ADMISSION and offering LESS, then consumers have a right to know what they AREN'T getting.

This might not have been handled in the best manor, but Disney is well within their rights as spelled out on your admission material. By buying said admission, you agree to those terms & conditions, :shrug:

EPCOTPluto

This might not have been handled in the best manner, but Disney is well within their rights as spelled out on your admission material.
By buying the said admission, you agree to those terms & conditions... :shrug:
I especially like how some people will say they didn't know something was canceled due to inclement weather or such, when they knew that it was anyway, and the infamous "Subject to change without notice." line is pulled out, and then they play dumb... :rolleyes:

krankenstein

I especially like how some people will say they didn't know something was canceled due to inclement weather or such, when they knew that it was anyway, and the infamous "Subject to change without notice." line is pulled out, and then they play dumb... :rolleyes:

It's part of life, you better get used to it.

EPCOT Explorer

Oh yeah - No doubt. Disney has done nothing wrong in terms of anyone rights as a consumer.

That's sort of the whole thing that bugs me. Disney doesn't operate on that mentality. What I would call a "Six Flags Mentality". They're better than that. It's part of what sets them apart from everyone else.

Now this, I can, and I will agree with. Disney is paramount and when they do things like this, even though it is their right, it shows they are slipping.

A well prepped company, is a good one.

fosse76

No, you weren't. I didn't mention consumer rights once in my post.

It can be. There are consumer fraud laws...and generic statements on the back of tickets may or may not be covered. I'll give you an example. A few years ago, my local Six Flags park was opening two rollercoasters and heavily advertising them. Due to problems with the new technology, their opening was delayed. They continued to run the ads. Despite the same ticket disclaimer you refer to, the attorney general of the state threatened them with a suit and fines if they didn't halt all their advertisements of the rides since they were not open. Do not put too much stock in those disclaimers, they don't always shield companies from liability.

If Disney were to shut down/refurbish enough attractions at one time to warrent enough complaints, it is very possible that they could face a similar situation (unlikely, but possible). Do I have a right to go to Disney? Not in the strictest sense of the word. If you can afford the park admission and follow park policies, then you absolutely have the right to go to Disney...they can't legally deny you entry without a valid reason (failure to follow park policies is a valid reason, assuming the policy doesn't violate the law).

A really good example is Broadway. Every ticket says no refunds. Now let's say I bought a ticket to see Hugh Jackman in A Steady Rain (which opens next month on Broadway). Let's say the night I go, he calls out sick. I am legally entitled to a refund under New York's consumer laws, because he is advertised as part of the show (above the title), and I am not seeing him. Since he is considered part of the product I am getting with my money, I have a right to a refund if he's not there. If you bought a DVD player and got home to find the box only contained a brick (which has been known to happen), if the packaging said contents may not be identical to box description, would you just say, "oh well?" No. You'd go back to the store and demand an exchange or your money back. As a consumer, you DO have a right to know what you are getting for your money.

Now, Living With the Land's closure probably won't have any effect on Disney. Most people won't know or care that it's closed. It's not advertised, and Disney's Ticket disclaimer is probably enough to shield Disney from any consumer complaints. But Disney does have an obligation to inform its customers when it's closing rides. A consumer has the right to make an informed decision about a product they are purchasing. I doubt this closure will affect attendance, but if one attraction is the only reason I was going, and its PLANNED closure wasn't announced, I have every right to be upset and demand my money back (assuming I was already in the park).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom