Living with the Land Refurbishment 8/2/2009

RSoxNo1

I have no problem with rides closing for maintenance; it is good practice after all. What puzzles me is that almost all other theme park stylee attractions world wide tend to increase their offerings as time goes by, which offsets the impact of maintenance on existing attractions. Im sure most of WDW is actually offering less than 10/15 years ago. More bums on seats but fewer seats for them to sit on it would appear. :shrug:

Oh and before someone says, ahhhh but they’ve added AK, you used that excuse in justifying the disproportionate increases in ticket prices.

Yes, the used it to increase the ticket prices, but they were going to increase the ticket prices regardless. In 10-15 years they have added capacity to DHS and be adding Animal Kingdom. They have seemingly lost some capacity in Magic Kingdom, and although they've probably lost capacity in Epcot, it's been in favor of more universally popular attractions, even if it's not attractions that appease the fanbois.

Figment632

Ok I'm just as ed as the next person that in three weeks I won't be able to ride SM, TTA, or LWTL but some people in the thread are crazy. They are demanding an explination and are outraged. The ride needs work and I'm glad it's getting some love.

EPCOT Explorer

From what I've heard, the boats were really old, were leaking, and kept on needing to be patched up. I also heard that one of the boats recently "sank" while it had guests on it. The new boats will also have a new configuration for handicapped guests, moving the wheelchair area from the front to the rear of the boat.

Ahhh....Now that's interesting. Honestly, the ride looked fine these past few years. At least this is justified.

And it could be worse. LwtL is a favorite, but there's a ton more to do. I get to spend some more time in WS now.

beyondyou

So everyone who is complaining about these Refurbs would rather ride an old broken down out of date attraction?? Ya, i dont think so. Grow up, please. these rides need to be updated and refurbed annually. This isnt some Six Flags park or the like where the park is closed during winter time(most) so they can do these refurbs in the down time. Walt Disney World is going ALL year. Of course they'll have to close some rides sometime.

Im going to head off to work now, everyone that disagrees with me go right ahead! I wont read most of your posts, but you know im right

wserratore1963

Ok I'm just as ed as the next person that in three weeks I won't be able to ride SM, TTA, or LWTL but some people in the thread are crazy. They are demanding an explination and are outraged. The ride needs work and I'm glad it's getting some love.
Agreed
I will be there around the same time and the this will diminish the excitement of BLT; which we have been anticipating for over a year. Then again one of the reasons we go back every year is to see all the updates, refurbs and new things.

I am sure it will be worth the wait.

captainkidd

So everyone who is complaining about these Refurbs would rather ride an old broken down out of date attraction?? Ya, i dont think so. Grow up, please. these rides need to be updated and refurbed annually. This isnt some Six Flags park or the like where the park is closed during winter time(most) so they can do these refurbs in the down time. Walt Disney World is going ALL year. Of course they'll have to close some rides sometime.

Im going to head off to work now, everyone that disagrees with me go right ahead! I wont read most of your posts, but you know im right

What is it you don't understand? It's been said at least half a dozen times already. No one is complaining about the closure of a ride. Space Mountain's my favorite ride at Disney, but it needed a refurb and Disney gave plenty of notice about it's closure. No problem.

I applaud Disney for refurbing rides as they should. The problem in this case is that they didn't notify their guests, or their employees of it in advance. That's the part that sucks. It's not like the ride broke down and it needed an emergency repair. Disney's known it was going down since at least the time this thread started (3 weeks ago?) and never said a word about it. Do they HAVE to? of course not. Would it have been the right thing to do? I think so.

mikeymouse

u should get to ride TTA in 3 weeks.

captainkidd

I'd only like an explanation as to why they didn't notify guests or CM's. If I don't get one, so be it. I'd also like to win the lottery tonight. We don't always get what we want.

I won't say I'm outraged. I was pretty ed last night when I read that the ride was still listed as open on Epcot's tip board in front of the park.:hammer:

Sorry - I spend a lot of money at Disney and I've come to expect a little bit more from them.

Figment632

u should get to ride TTA in 3 weeks.

Yea I forgot it reopens halfway through my trip :sohappy:

I'd only like an explanation as to why they didn't notify guests or CM's. If I don't get one, so be it. I'd also like to win the lottery tonight. We don't always get what we want.

I won't say I'm outraged. I was pretty ed last night when I read that the ride was still listed as open on Epcot's tip board in front of the park.:hammer:

Sorry - I spend a lot of money at Disney and I've come to expect a little bit more from them.

I wouldnt advertise attractions being down if I were Disney its not good business. Not that most people would cancel their trips because LWTL is closed but I wouldnt announce it either.

hardcard

it's because it was originally planned to be a third shift job.. but about a week and a half ago, it was decided to be changed to a shutdown because of the issues with the new boat design.. That comes straight from the horses mouth...

My take? Basically.. what angers a guest more? No notice, and a ride closes, or you give them notice 2 weeks before a shutdown? IF they had done that, we'd be discussing the poor job they did giving 2 weeks notice...

Again, sorry, but Disney has no obligation to tell you when a specific attraction is down...... they offer it as a customer courtesy... slap their hand on this too much, and maybe they'll stop the practice all together?

Would you like to receieve text messages everytime Test Track goes 101 as well?

captainkidd

Good analogy. A ride that breaks down daily, versus a scheduled 2 month refurb.:rolleyes:

Hey, you've got your opinion, I've got mine. I think it's a common courtesy and good faith to let their paying guests know when an attraction will not be operational.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
it's because it was originally planned to be a third shift job.. but about a week and a half ago, it was decided to be changed to a shutdown because of the issues with the new boat design.. That comes straight from the horses mouth...

My take? Basically.. what angers a guest more? No notice, and a ride closes, or you give them notice 2 weeks before a shutdown? IF they had done that, we'd be discussing the poor job they did giving 2 weeks notice...

Again, sorry, but Disney has no obligation to tell you when a specific attraction is down...... they offer it as a customer courtesy... slap their hand on this too much, and maybe they'll stop the practice all together?

In all seriousness I would actually like 101 text alerts when I am in the parks. :D

I get what you are saying though. No matter how much or how little notice Disney gives on refurbs people will complain, claim they did not know, it ruined their vacation, etc. And lets be honest here if it was not for Soarin the average guest would not know that LWTL existed.

EPCOT Explorer

In all seriousness I would actually like 101 text alerts when I am in the parks. :D

I get what you are saying though. No matter how much or how little notice Disney gives on refurbs people will complain, claim they did not know, it ruined their vacation, etc. And lets be honest here if it was not for Soarin the average guest would not know that LWTL existed.

So would I...:lol: Maybe I could finally get a ride on the thing.:lookaroun

hardcard

No one has a problem with refurbs. The problem is not telling anyone in advance, including employees. It's crappy business.

I hear ya... I do... but really.. would you have cancelled your trip that you scheduled months ago? (just assuming thats when you booked) no... not likely..

And again, they have no obligaiton to offer the information.... it's a courtesy... while I agree that they would have been better served posting the information.. even with a 2 week hold, I wouldn't go tearing down walls over this issue..

As a wise man once said... Pick your battles...

If they gave no notice of a Imagination full-refurb and it closed tomorrow, I'd be on cloud 9.. :)

RSoxNo1

I'm all for real time information on updates, and I agree that Disney missed the ball on this one, but it happens. For all we know, this could have been akin to Disneyland's Space Mountain.

Granted we had a few days notice on here, but it did seem to be very last minute. Disney has always been slow to have refurb schedules posted, if this was posted a week ago, would any of you people that are outraged now have been able to change your vacation whereas today you wouldn't be able to change them?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom