Live-Action reimagining of Moana

BuddyThomas

Sounds more interesting than the Live Action Little Mermaid. I am sure with Dwayne in it there will be more action.
They are two completely different stories, so whatever "action" is in either one is yet to be seen , particularly since neither movie has opened yet, and one of them has not even been filmed.

wtyy21

If Moana gets the live-action remake, i'll rather see the live-action version of Moana the continuation/follow-up of the animated ones, since i think the continuation content of the animated film will more fit for its live-action sequel. It could be open with animated scene of Polynesian scene where Moana and Maui lives, then, they suddenly switch to real-life Polynesian scene where Moana and Maui could be appeared as real people.

Once again, i expected this remake the hybrid between live-action scenes and animation scenes, with at least 20% of Moana's live-action film be in animated scenes.

erasure fan1

As for laziness and cash grab comments, for all we know this was Rock pursuing the movies as a passion project. He is after all very passionate and vocal about his Hawaiian upbringing and Polynesian heritage. It could all be part of his recent contract when he signed on to do the recent movies for Disney, ie the ability to pick his own projects. And Disney wanting to keep their big names happy just said yes.
He was super passionate about black adam and that didn't work out so well. If I were to guess, I'd say Moana was always going to be remade sooner rather than later. The rock might have helped fast tracked it a bit and Disney just went along with it. But it was the plan all along anyway.
I suspect given how Moana is still in the top ten for streaming that it'll be at least a moderate hit.
Oh there's a reason they are doing this. Unless there is some sort of Disney revolt from the fans, I can't see this being anything less than a big hit. The only way I see it not doing well is if Mermaid is an absolute dumpster fire. And even then I wouldn't bet against it.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
He was super passionate about black adam and that didn't work out so well. If I were to guess, I'd say Moana was always going to be remade sooner rather than later. The rock might have helped fast tracked it a bit and Disney just went along with it. But it was the plan all along anyway.
Don't get me started on DC and all their problems......

Black Adam didn't have the huge built-in fan base that Moana does. Add to that the mentioned DC problems, and it was almost destined to fail. So I wouldn't use that as a measuring stick here.

I suspect given the above failure (and other recent failures) it was Rock who pushed this to be made as a way to get the stink of those failures off. Something that is more closer to an assured hit.

Oh there's a reason they are doing this. Unless there is some sort of Disney revolt from the fans, I can't see this being anything less than a big hit. The only way I see it not doing well is if Mermaid is an absolute dumpster fire. And even then I wouldn't bet against it.
I agree it'll most likely be a hit if for no other reason than the music alone.

erasure fan1

Black Adam didn't have the huge built-in fan base that Moana does. Add to that the mentioned DC problems, and it was almost destined to fail. So I wouldn't use that as a measuring stick here.

I suspect given the above failure (and other recent failures) it was Rock who pushed this to be made as a way to get the stink of those failures off. Something that is more closer to an assured hit.
It wasn't so much a measuring stick but more the rock has not been any sort of sure thing for a while now. DC has had problems since the beginning. I'm sure when they signed the rock to be black adam, they thought the name would be draw enough. I agree that he knows this is an easy feather in his cap. I just don't think he had all that much to do with it. Disney might have made him think it was his idea, but Disney is going to remake everything that has any sort of following anyway.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
It wasn't so much a measuring stick but more the rock has not been any sort of sure thing for a while now. DC has had problems since the beginning. I'm sure when they signed the rock to be black adam, they thought the name would be draw enough. I agree that he knows this is an easy feather in his cap. I just don't think he had all that much to do with it. Disney might have made him think it was his idea, but Disney is going to remake everything that has any sort of following anyway.
I’m sure the truth lies somewhere in the middle.

Rock: Hey Bob, my career has taken a hit lately can we redo Moana as live-action it’s sure to be a hit.
Iger: Sure, we were going to do that in a couple years anyways might as well get started on it now while the fans still love it.

BlakeW39

I guess you need to define medium. While live action films and animated films are technically different mediums. They are still films. I personally have no issues with going from a play/musical, book, video game.... to movie, or the other way around. All those formats are completely different, outside of being a vessel to tell a story. People weren't all that happy when they remade last of us for ps5 but didn't have issues that they made it a tv show. The remake was considered an unnecessary cash grab by a lot of people. So it isn't just people doging on Disney.

It isn't the time that annoys people, it's the laziness.

I actually thought the show was unnecessary as well. Regardless of its quality, I'd rather see new IPs from Naughty Dog rather than the same story being told over and over again. I still think the original PS4 remaster is the best of the bunch anyways 🤷🏽‍♂️

erasure fan1

I actually thought the show was unnecessary as well. Regardless of its quality, I'd rather see new IPs from Naughty Dog rather than the same story being told over and over again. I still think the original PS4 remaster is the best of the bunch anyways 🤷🏽‍♂️
I think it comes down to balance, at least for myself. I'm a sucker for my beloved IPs so I don't mind a good sequel. Or my favorite game becoming movies. I'll be first in line for elder scrolls 6. But I will also be playing starfield on day one. I am a huge video game nerd. But as much as I love them, I was extremely disappointed in the PS4/Xbox one generation overall. Why? Because of the crazy amount of remasters and remakes from the generation before. As long as I am getting new and unique experiences, I'll be happy with the good ol comfort food that we know and love.

Brer Panther

What about Robin Hood, The Rescuers, Oliver & Company, The Fox & the Hound, The Great Mouse Detective, The Sword in the Stone, Atlantis, Treasure Planet, Emperor's New Groove, Pocahontas, Tarzan, Hunchback of ND, Brother Bear? Why does Moana get the treatment?
Actually, they did announce a live action remake of Robin Hood... back in 2020, I think? I'm pretty sure there are live action Hunchback of Notre Dame and Sword in the Stone remakes in development too.

As for the others, give them time...

Phroobar

Actually, they did announce a live action remake of Robin Hood... back in 2020, I think? I'm pretty sure there are live action Hunchback of Notre Dame and Sword in the Stone remakes in development too.

How would a live action remake of Robin Hood work since every character is an animal? How would it be any different from any other Robin Hood movie Hollywood has made? CG animals retelling the story would be weird and not "live action".

Stumpos

Here's a list of Disney movies (not counting the 1940s package films) from the WDAS canon for live action remakes:

Has one/upcoming
  • Snow White
  • Pinnochio
  • Dumbo
  • Bambi
  • Cinderella
  • Alice in Wonderland
  • Peter Pan
  • Lady and the Tramp
  • Sleeping Beauty
  • 101 Dalmatians
  • The Sword in the Stone
  • The Jungle Book
  • The Aristocats
  • Robin Hood
  • The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh/Winnie the Pooh 2011
  • The Little Mermaid
  • Beauty and the Beast
  • Aladdin
  • The Lion King
  • The Hunchback of Notre Dame
  • Hercules
  • Mulan
  • Lilo & Stitch
  • Moana
Movies not yet in live action
  • The Rescuers/The Rescuers Down Under
  • The Fox and the Hound
  • The Black Cauldron
  • The Great Mouse Detective
  • Oliver & Company
  • Pocahontas
  • Tarzan
  • Dinosaur
  • The Emperor's New Groove
  • Atlantis The Lost Empire
  • Treasure Planet
  • Brother Bear
  • Home on the Range
  • Chicken Little
  • Meet the Robinsons
  • Bolt
  • Princess and the Frog
  • Tangled
  • Wreck it Ralph/Ralph Breaks the Internet
  • Frozen/Frozen II
  • Big Hero 6
  • Zootopia
  • Raya and the Last Dragon
  • Encanto
  • Strange World
So essentially all the non-package films of the Walt Disney era have or will have a live action remake.

Wonder if they'll adopt these movies in live action too?

BlakeW39

I think it comes down to balance, at least for myself. I'm a sucker for my beloved IPs so I don't mind a good sequel. Or my favorite game becoming movies. I'll be first in line for elder scrolls 6. But I will also be playing starfield on day one. I am a huge video game nerd. But as much as I love them, I was extremely disappointed in the PS4/Xbox one generation overall. Why? Because of the crazy amount of remasters and remakes from the generation before. As long as I am getting new and unique experiences, I'll be happy with the good ol comfort food that we know and love.

Yeah, fair points. I'm just so tired of all the TLOU versions. ND needs to do something new for a change, it hasn't since 2013 with...you guessed it...THE LAST OF US!!!

UNCgolf

Probably like the 2019 "live action" Lion King. It'll be all CGI critters and environments, but ugly in its realism.

The animals in the Lion King (and the Jungle Book) aren't anthropomorphic, though. The ones in Robin Hood are.

If they try to make them look like real animals while also wearing clothes and running around castles, fighting with swords, etc. it's going to look bizarre.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom