Live-Action reimagining of Moana

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
For those who think this is too soon, what is the right amount of years passing from making a live action remake of an animated feature?

UNCgolf

For those who think this is too soon, what is the right amount of years passing from making a live action remake of an animated feature?

Infinity -- i.e. don't ever do it. Do a new live action adaptation of the story if you want, but don't just recreate the animated film.

From a realistic standpoint (in that they're obviously doing it), I think 15-20 years is a more reasonable timeframe. Let the original version age a bit and then have parents who grew up with it take their kids to the new live action.

Last edited:

Phroobar

Moana will be easy money. It is extremely popular with a very large fan base. Not so much with Atlantis, treasure planet, brother bear. Now don't get me wrong, I think most of those will eventually come either to the theater or D+, that's why I ended with ...
Moana is just a pretty sure thing.
Good thing every movie since Moana made nothing and doesn't have large fan base.
We will never see Strange World or Buzz Lightear live action.

erasure fan1

Good thing every movie since Moana made nothing and doesn't have large fan base.
We will never see Strange World or Buzz Lightear live action.
Well, you never know with the clown show in charge. I'm sure they think they made award caliber films that if not for the pandemic, would have been billion dollar franchise's.

Ghost93

Ideally, never as these live-action remakes are an assault on animation as a medium. But if they MUST do a live-action remake, I say to wait 25-30 years. That's long enough for the original film to achieve classic status and for the remake to take maximum advantage of nostalgia.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Taking that a step further what is the right amount of time for remaking any content that was created for another medium? Books to movies? Stage plays to movies? Movies to stage plays? The list goes on and on.....

erasure fan1

Taking that a step further what is the right amount of time for remaking any content that was created for another medium? Books to movies? Stage plays to movies? Movies to stage plays? The list goes on and on.....
I guess you need to define medium. While live action films and animated films are technically different mediums. They are still films. I personally have no issues with going from a play/musical, book, video game.... to movie, or the other way around. All those formats are completely different, outside of being a vessel to tell a story. People weren't all that happy when they remade last of us for ps5 but didn't have issues that they made it a tv show. The remake was considered an unnecessary cash grab by a lot of people. So it isn't just people doging on Disney.

It isn't the time that annoys people, it's the laziness.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I guess you need to define medium. While live action films and animated films are technically different mediums. They are still films. I personally have no issues with going from a play/musical, book, video game.... to movie, or the other way around. All those formats are completely different, outside of being a vessel to tell a story. People weren't all that happy when they remade last of us for ps5 but didn't have issues that they made it a tv show. The remake was considered an unnecessary cash grab by a lot of people. So it isn't just people doging on Disney.

It isn't the time that annoys people, it's the laziness.
Time does appear to be a factor in most of these comments, ie "too soon".

As for laziness and cash grab comments, for all we know this was Rock pursuing the movies as a passion project. He is after all very passionate and vocal about his Hawaiian upbringing and Polynesian heritage. It could all be part of his recent contract when he signed on to do the recent movies for Disney, ie the ability to pick his own projects. And Disney wanting to keep their big names happy just said yes.

Anyways I personally await to see how it is. It could be a huge hit or a huge dumpster fire, only time will tell. I suspect given how Moana is still in the top ten for streaming that it'll be at least a moderate hit.

UNCgolf

That's not an apples to apples comparison. An adaptation isn't a remake (and different mediums also make a big difference in multiple ways).

Most (not all) of the Disney live action films have been pretty close to copies of the animated films.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
That's not an apples to apples comparison. An adaptation isn't a remake (and different mediums also make a big difference in multiple ways).

Most (not all) of the Disney live action films have been pretty close to copies of the animated films.
And this is being called a "reimagining" not a remake similar to how Maleficent was not a remake but a "reimagining" of Sleeping Beauty.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom