Live-Action ‘Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs’

ParkPeeker

Anyways, I feel like it annoys a certain segment of the population that people who are relatively right leaning really enjoyed Barbie. Sometimes, a good movie with a good story is a good movie with a good story. Not everything is “how does this align with my political ideology?” despite what a handful of pundits on either side of the aisle say.
The reason Barbie is in the discussion is because the past few pages have posts of ppl bemoaning how the ideology change of Disney aligning with liberal views is the cause of bad movies and bad box office. But it seems like you agree that it isn’t?

Hawkeye_2018

Most of what you say is a matter of opinion, so even though I disagree with your assessment, I can’t really counter it other than with my own (equally subjective) opinions. I’m really surprised by your claim that it’s just a “take for take remake”, however. That to me seems just objectively wrong given that this version includes numerous differences from, and additions to, the original.
I'll be honest, I tapped out about an hour in. Maybe the second half changes things up, the first half half of the movie seemed identical to the animated one

ParkPeeker

Many (and perhaps most) of the complaints against Disney are coming from people who haven't even seen the films whose content they object to.

I'll be honest, I tapped out about an hour in. Maybe the second half changes things up, the first half half of the movie seemed identical to the animated one
A story in two parts

DisneyHead123

Many (and perhaps most) of the complaints against Disney are coming from people who haven't even seen the films whose content they object to.
I get that, but if someone has a specific complaint and knows for a fact that it features in the plot of a movie, they don’t need to see the movie to know if they disapprove of the content.

I’m not saying anti-Disney bias isn’t a possibility, but not the only one. I actually agree with the assessment that Barbie was not a particularly “envelope pushing” movie in 2023, so I totally get how others could feel the same way. (And I say that as someone who approved of Disney’s “envelope pushing”.) They might just have a line in the sand that feels arbitrary to me, but isn’t necessarily inconsistent. For example, many people were fine with Artie in Cruella just because his dating life was never explicitly mentioned, and that is a Disney movie.

ParkPeeker

I get that, but if someone has a specific complaint and knows for a fact that it features in the plot of a movie, they don’t need to see the movie to know if they disapprove of the content.

I’m not saying anti-Disney bias isn’t a possibility, but not the only one. I actually agree with the assessment that Barbie was not a particularly “envelope pushing” movie in 2023, so I totally get how others could feel the same way. (And I say that as someone who approved of Disney’s “envelope pushing”.) They might just have a line in the sand that feels arbitrary to me, but isn’t necessarily inconsistent. For example, many people were fine with Artie in Cruella just because his dating life was never explicitly mentioned, and that is a Disney movie.
Hmm ok, within the context of the Barbie Disney discussion I agree. Taking things at face value I can kinda see how people don’t see it as left leaning (even though I disagree and personally feel it’s politics is left)

But outside the Barbie context… ppl on here are bemoaning things as the problem that aren’t even true… like how in the past decade disney hasn’t shown hetero romance. That’s objectively very false lol.

DisneyHead123

Hmm ok, within the context of the Barbie Disney discussion I agree. Taking things at face value I can kinda see how people don’t see it as left leaning (even though I disagree and personally feel it’s politics is left)

But outside the Barbie context… ppl on here are bemoaning things as the problem that aren’t even true… like how in the past decade disney hasn’t shown hetero romance. That’s objectively very false lol.
I don’t know the specifics of who was bemoaning what… I’m not saying bias never exists, of course, just that it’s often a very subjective thing to judge.

Goofy Ninja

I didn't like the live actions for Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin and Lion King. But at least they were true to the original Disney classics. The idiots making this movie seem like they want to change things for no reason. Even the Little Mermaid wasn't so unrecognizable.

Goofy Ninja

I heard they want to change how the witch dies as well. So they can have Snow White do the dirty deed. .... Even though she is supposed to be asleep... or whatever she is in the movie.

I guess Charlie or whatever his name is doesn't kiss her.

Perhaps she awakens not from a kiss, but because she is such a good leader. God can't take someone who can lead like her.

Ghost93

It's not identical. There are at least 3 new musical numbers, for instance. I could go on, but why bother.
To be fair, most of the places where the Little Mermaid remake diverged from the original occurred in the second half of the film.

I personally thought the first half of the movie was a less-good rehash of the original and the movie didn't really pick up until Ariel went to land. It was in the scenes of Ariel and Eric bonding that I felt the remake really shined.

Tony the Tigger

Standing on the shoulders of giants. The uncreative and untalented aren't able to create. So they just reuse and change old characters like Galadriel and Snow White. Then they make them say whatever they want to say, even though they know most fans don't like it (She Hulk).

Then they got the nerve to come out and give fake numbers. "Disney says Disney got 14 million views."
It’s ironic for you to say that when talking about Disney films. By your standard, Walt was uncreative and untalented, because he stole almost every single character he ever used.

If you really want to sound like a fairytale snob, go back and read the original source material. Then complain about how Disney prettied everything up. You’re coming in on the train midcycle.

Last edited:

LittleBuford

No. Brand is very much about and includes ideological.

The Barbie movie was both on brand of what Barbie is. Anyone who saw The Barbie movie not expecting a pro female empowerment movie as one of the main themes are not aware of...The Brand that has always been just that. From the start of the film it literally goes for this. It would be like 8 year old me being shocked that Spice World was said "girl power" so many times and was about that with the Spice Girls starring. Most people also thought Barbie was well made, which reinforced it's success that it is.

Disney's movies have as of late often not been on brand, and often not quality. When it has flopped, it has typically been a case of failing at both.
I certainly didn’t grow up associating Barbie with vigorous feminist critiques of patriarchy, but perhaps I’m unusual in that.

I also fail to see how Disney’s recent offerings are off-brand. Could you offer an example of what you mean?

LittleBuford

I wonder how far into production this movie is because I feel the actress playing Snow White is going to be very problematic for Disney.
I believe they’ve finished (the majority of the) filming, so unless Disney scraps the whole thing (which I know some here would like them to do), Zegler is going to be the new Snow White.

Last edited:

LittleBuford

It’s more than that, though. A great many complaints are about things that aren’t there in the first place. People are quite literally making things up to get angry about. It’s very, very weird.

I actually agree with the assessment that Barbie was not a particularly “envelope pushing” movie in 2023, so I totally get how others could feel the same way.
I agree, but I don’t think any of Disney’s recent movies push the envelope all that much either.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom