Live-Action ‘Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs’

DisneyHead123

I think the point is that Barbie has a kind of messaging that Disney is routinely and harshly criticised for in certain quarters today. Some of the commentators in question (Ben Shapiro, for example) have been consistent in their approach and treated Barbie as we would expect them to, but for the most part, the film has been spared the sort of opprobrium it would have received had Disney made it. This is the double standard that many of us pointing to, and that is amply demonstrated by numerous posts in these very threads.
I think to make this point you have to match a specific person to a specific criticism, though, and show where that specific person was hypocritical. Otherwise it gets into treating people as extremely vague blocs, and assuming someone like TP2000 is somehow obligated to agree with Ben Shapiro or else be a hypocrite. If TP2000 made a hypocritical comment? Ok. If Ben Shapiro made a comment though - that only reflects Ben Shapiro.

AdventureHasAName

I think the point is that Barbie has a kind of messaging that Disney is routinely and harshly criticised for in certain quarters today. Some of the commentators in question (Ben Shapiro, for example) have been consistent in their approach and treated Barbie as we would expect them to, but for the most part, the film has been spared the sort of opprobrium it would have received had Disney made it. This is the double standard that many of us pointing to, and that is amply demonstrated by numerous posts in these very threads.
But Barbie isn't a Disney movie. I care about the WDC and this is a Disney message board; I couldn't care less about Mattel (or Hasbro) and this isn't a Mattel message board.

celluloid

Barbie was on brand. And a decent to great movie for the majority of viewers.

Disney's recent flops have not been either at the same time.

Ghost93

The difference is that once Barbie became a box office success the haters realized that it would be more difficult to bash a movie everyone loves. If Barbie had flopped, even if it was the exact same movie, the haters would be branding it a woke failure.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
The difference is that once Barbie became a box office success the haters realized that it would be more difficult to bash a movie everyone loves. If Barbie had flopped, even if it was the exact same movie, the haters would be branding it a woke failure.
Eh. Some people still bashed it even when it became a success.

Anyways, I feel like it annoys a certain segment of the population that people who are relatively right leaning really enjoyed Barbie. Sometimes, a good movie with a good story is a good movie with a good story. Not everything is “how does this align with my political ideology?” despite what a handful of pundits on either side of the aisle say.

Disstevefan1

While there may have been some woke messaging in Barbie, Barbie was so good and fun that folks overlooked the any messaging and just had fun.

So if enough folks like a given movie, it does not matter what messaging is inserted.

Lets see if SW2024 will have that kind of mass appeal.

Last edited:

LittleBuford

I think to make this point you have to match a specific person to a specific criticism, though, and show where that specific person was hypocritical.
This was covered in some detail in a series of older exchanges. I’m not sure it’s wise to rehash the whole matter, but most of the posts are still there if you wish to search for them. The reason I responded to @TP2000 is not because he needed an answer—he knew very well what @BuddyThomas was getting at, having been at the centre of the exchanges I just mentioned—but because the performance of bafflement was getting tiresome.

LittleBuford

But Barbie isn't a Disney movie. I care about the WDC and this is a Disney message board; I couldn't care less about Mattel (or Hasbro) and this isn't a Mattel message board.
I’m not saying people should care or be posting about Barbie here; I’m saying the comments that have been posted—and there are many—reveal a double standard in how people perceive certain themes and approaches.

LittleBuford

Barbie was on brand. And a decent to great movie for the majority of viewers.

Disney's recent flops have not been either at the same time.
This is an argument about quality, though. My post was referring to the ideological explanation that’s been offered for Disney’s recent failures and disappointments.

LittleBuford

I only half agree. Even before it came out, Barbie was being approached with far more openmindedness. To be clear, I’m not saying I want those who (preemptively) decry “wokeness” in Disney to do the same with other studios. Far better would be for people to just assess every film on its own merits, without rushing to judgement or dismissing something based on a vague sense of its messaging. Barbie is proof that such an unbiased (or relatively unbiased) attitude is possible—and I won’t deny that it helps if the film itself is really good.

LittleBuford

everything

take away your nostalgia from the original and this film never gets made. laughably bad sfx, cringe acting performances. and it doesn't even try to be anything other than a take for take remake. why would anyone watch this again when there is a much better version available
Most of what you say is a matter of opinion, so even though I disagree with your assessment, I can’t really counter it other than with my own (equally subjective) opinions. I’m really surprised by your claim that it’s just a “take for take remake”, however. That to me seems just objectively wrong given that this version includes numerous differences from, and additions to, the original.

Ghost93

Anyways, I feel like it annoys a certain segment of the population that people who are relatively right leaning really enjoyed Barbie. Sometimes, a good movie with a good story is a good movie with a good story. Not everything is “how does this align with my political ideology?” despite what a handful of pundits on either side of the aisle say.
On the contrary, it gives me hope for the future of film when people can enjoy a well-made movie.

I think it's easier to focus on the "wokeness" of a movie when the movie is mediocre and nothing else is interesting to discuss. But if a movie is really really good, even people who normally despise wokeness may begrudgingly enjoy it.

DisneyHead123

This was covered in some detail in a series of older exchanges. I’m not sure it’s wise to rehash the whole matter, but most of the posts are still there if you wish to search for them. The reason I responded to @TP2000 is not because he needed an answer—he knew very well what @BuddyThomas was getting at, having been at the centre of the exchanges I just mentioned—but because the performance of bafflement was getting tiresome.
Ok, not sure what the whole history is. Just saying that I think a lot of this stuff is very subjective, in terms of what content rubs a particular person the wrong way. If TP2000’s line in the sand is set at a place that seems arbitrary to me (for example, he’s ok with trans actors but not trans characters in children’s movies,) then I disagree, but I wouldn’t say it makes him a hypocrite.

celluloid

This is an argument about quality, though. My post was referring to the ideological explanation that’s been offered for Disney’s recent failures and disappointments.

No. Brand is very much about and includes ideological.

The Barbie movie was both on brand of what Barbie is. Anyone who saw The Barbie movie not expecting a pro female empowerment movie as one of the main themes are not aware of...The Brand that has always been just that. From the start of the film it literally goes for this. It would be like 8 year old me being shocked that Spice World was said "girl power" so many times and was about that with the Spice Girls starring. Most people also thought Barbie was well made, which reinforced it's success that it is.

Disney's movies have as of late often not been on brand, and often not quality. When it has flopped, it has typically been a case of failing at both.

Disstevefan1

Many (and perhaps most) of the complaints against Disney are coming from people who haven't even seen the films whose content they object to.
In my opinion -
TLM - Purchased Digital copy with extra features - if you don't analyze it and try to compare it to the original or analyze all the DEI SEG changes, and just watch the movie, its a 8 out of 10 for me.
Strange World - Saw it on streaming, I think "free" on D+ - Its fine, characters made no difference either way to me, my favorite characters was the three legged dog and Squirt, did not like the environmental message, we must live in the dark to save the planet - 5 out of 10
Lightyear - Saw it on streaming, I think "free" on D+ - totally missed the alleged kiss even though I knew it was coming, I enjoyed the time travel aspect and the evolution of Buzz. This should have stood alone and should have no reference to Andy, that made no sense - 7 out of 10
Elemental - Purchased Digital copy with extra features - Just an excellent movie, a beautiful love story. - 15 out of 10.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom