Live-Action ‘Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs’

BuddyThomas

If by "left leaning" you mean that Barbie isn't only allowed to be a nurse or a stewardess like she was in 1962, then yes.

But by the 1970's Barbie could be a doctor or the airplane pilot, too. That's not "left leaning", it's just reality. At least it hasn't been "left leaning" since at least 1980. The Barbie in the Barbie movie is very mainstream, while also poking a bit of fun at everyone on both sides of the spectrum. And still looking fabulous while she does it.

Warner's didn't change Barbie for their movie. But Disney appears to have changed Snow White for their movie.
You really missed the point of this movie.

TP2000

You really missed the point of this movie.

No, I think you read too much into it. Or saw things in it that weren't even there.

Barbie is a strong, independent woman who can be anything she wants to be. And always look fabulous. Ken is just Ken.

The Barbie movie was a true gem. I'm talking to some friends about seeing the IMAX version later this month, as I saw it first with my family members from out of town.

TP2000

You still don’t know what’s in the movie besides analyzing Rachel Ziegler’s comments and know that the dwarves aren’t in the movie, but it isn’t called Snow White and The Seven Dwarves

I don't think I "analyzed" her comments, I just listened to them. They weren't complicated enough to need analyzing. :)

Are you thinking Rachel Zegler and Gal Gadot's comments at D23 Expo were not accurate of what the movie will be about?

BuddyThomas

No, I think you read too much into it. Or saw things in it that weren't even there.

Barbie is a strong, independent woman who can be anything she wants to be. And always look fabulous. Ken is just Ken.

The Barbie movie was a true gem. I'm talking to some friends about seeing the IMAX version later this month, as I saw it first with my family members from out of town.
Hun, everyone everywhere knows exactly what was going on in Barbie, except maybe you. You have been given many links to prove this, including words from the director and writer herself. So why don’t you stick to box office charts and stop trying to categorize a very “woke” film into an innocent romp, which it was not.

TP2000

Hun, everyone everywhere knows exactly what was going on in Barbie, except maybe you. You e been given many links to prove this, including words from the director and writer herself. So why don’t you stick to box office charts and stop trying to categorize a very whole film into an innocent romp, which it was not.

It was not a children's movie, that's for sure. It had some adult themes and content. It was rated PG-13 for a reason.

For instance, I thought the mom's speech was very moving. I got teary and my sister cried as we sat there in the theater during that scene thinking of our mom doing all that same stuff for us with a husband who wasn't as supportive as he should have been, even going by 1960's standards for husbands.

But if you think it's still 1962 and mainstream Americans think women should only be nurses and stewardesses, then that's wrong. Barbie has been a strong and independent career woman since the early 1970's. She's fabulous.

Last edited:

BuddyThomas

It was not a children's movie, that's for sure. It had some adult themes and content. It was rated PG-13 for a reason.

For instance, I thought the mom's speech was very moving. I got teary and my sister cried as we sat there in the theater during that scene thinking of our mom doing all that same stuff for us with a husband who wasn't as supportive as he should have been.

But if you think it's still 1962 and mainstream Americans think women should only be nurses and stewardesses, then that's wrong. Barbie has been a strong independent career woman since the early 1970's. She's fabulous.

TP2000

I'm not sure what that has to do with my opinion of the Barbie movie?

I only read the byline, but that person who is mad about an LGBT story in Barbie has clearly not seen the Barbie movie. There was no LGBT character or plot in Barbie. There was no sexuality at all, which was the joke. And brilliantly and cleverly played.

BuddyThomas

I'm not sure what that has to do with my opinion of the Barbie movie?

I only read the byline, but that person who is mad about an LGBT story in Barbie has clearly not seen the Barbie movie. There was no LGBT character or plot in Barbie. There was no sexuality at all, which was the joke. And brilliantly and cleverly played.
You want 50 more links???? Again?????

TP2000

You want 50 more links???? Again?????

50 links that claim there's an LGBT plot in the Barbie movie? Why?

Whoever would say that had to have said it before the movie was released on July 21st. Because they are wrong.

That would be like saying on July 19th there was going to be an excorcism scene in Barbie with Ken playing a priest. There wasn't a scene or character like that in the movie. Anyone who has seen Barbie would know that.

BuddyThomas

50 links that claim there's an LGBT plot in the Barbie movie? Why?

Whoever would say that had to have said it before the movie was released on July 21st. Because they are wrong.

That would be like saying on July 19th there was going to be an excorcism scene in Barbie with Ken playing a priest. There wasn't a scene or character like that in the movie. Anyone who has seen Barbie would know that.
You are commenting on an article that you admitted you did not read. It did not say what you claim it says. So in other words, I DO have to post 50 more links for you.

erasure fan1

And then we have Mario, in which Peach is very much a “strong woman” and different from her helpless origins. and no one gave a crap, made a bunch of money.
If there was one complaint, outside of the nonsensical, it was too much like the game. Was that Peach was too overbearing in parts. Why did "no one give a crap"? Because everything else was unapologetically made for fans of Mario. Nintendo didn't allow them to alter the characters. Peach has been a strong character since the 2nd game.
I’ve also commented that had they called it something like “The Poison Apple” or some other reference to the movie, but not Snow White, they could have avoided a lot of the hostility because then people would be expecting something new with the old characters
The issue is they want the name recognition. It's not just a Disney problem either. It seems Hollywood wants to bank on classic IPs and then tell their story instead of staying true to the source material. We've seen it over and over again. A lot of people were going to hate this movie no matter what it was called. But if it was a different name, you might be right. Maybe it doesn't dominate the negative headline train.

TP2000

You are commenting on an article that you admitted you did not read. It did not say what you claim it says. So in other words, I DO have to post 50 more links for you.

I just read it about 10 minutes ago.

On July 15th, 2023 a Christian movie review site that specializes in vetting films for Christian parents claimed (falsely) that the Barbie movie would have gay themes, LGBT characters, and sexual content. Also, a conservative Christian lady put up on her blog that is popular with other Christian ladies that she was concerned the Barbie movie was going to have LGBT characters and themes in it and that Warner Brothers was misleading the movie's core audience of young girls into thinking it was an innocent children's movie. Which even on July 15th you could tell that was wrong, or way off base.

The movie was then released on July 21st, it was rated PG-13, its marketing was clearly aimed at teens and adults, and it had no LGBT character or mention in it.

So the conservative Christian lady and the Christian movie review site were both very wrong on July 15th, as anyone who saw the movie after July 20th would know.

What was your point again? I'm confused why you think this non-issue is something worth discussing. 🤔

Last edited:

BuddyThomas

I just read it about 10 minutes ago.

On July 15th, 2023 a conservative Christian lady put up on her blog that is popular with other Christian ladies that she was concerned the Barbie movie was going to have LGBT characters and themes in it and that Warner Brothers was misleading the movie's core audience of young girls into thinking it was an innocent children's movie. All of that was wrong.

The movie was then released on July 21st, it was rated PG-13, its marketing was clearly aimed at teens and adults, and it had no LGBT character or mention in it.

So the conservative Christian lady was wrong on July 15th, as anyone who saw the movie after July 20th would know.

What was your point again? I'm confused why you think this non-issue is something worth discussing. 🤔
This is all because you think that a Disney movie must not under any circumstances contain any sort of gay character or theme, or trans, even if it lasts only seconds, even though you claim to be gay yourself. But you are fine and dandy with Barbie, which contains much more subversive content than any Disney movie ever has.

I do not agree with any of the above crap, but it seems to align with your past views of Disney films, so I don't get it.

"White savior Barbie" (an actual line from the film" gets a pass from you because it is released by Warner instead of Disney?

TP2000

This is all because you think that a Disney movie must not under any circumstances contain any sort of gay character or theme, or trans, even if it lasts only seconds, even though you claim to be gay yourself. But you are fine and dandy with Barbie, which contains much more subversive content than any Disney movie ever has.

Buddy, you are linking to articles that all reference the Christian movie review site (that no one has ever heard of anyway) that released a very inaccurate assumption in mid July that the Barbie movie would have gay characters, gay themes, and sexual content.

None of that turned out to be true. It makes you wonder where they got their info or intel from? Or if they even care?

There was not a single LGBT character in the Barbie movie. There was no sexuality in the movie either, because that was part of the fabulous gag of living in Barbie Land. Barbie and Ken don't know what sex is.

Any person who claimed back on July 15th that Barbie would have gay characters and LGBT themes was shown to be completely wrong by the afternoon of July 21st.

And personally, because it was rated PG-13 and not marketed to small children, even if it did claim that Allan was gay or something, that would have been fine with me because of its intended audience of teens and adults.

But even Allan wasn't gay in the movie, he was just... Allan.

BuddyThomas

Buddy, you are linking to articles that all reference the Christian movie review site (that no one has ever heard of anyway) that released a very inaccurate assumption in mid July that the Barbie movie would have gay characters, gay themes, and sexual content.

None of that turned out to be true. It makes you wonder where they got their info or intel from? Or if they even care?

There was not a single LGBT character in the Barbie movie. There was no sexuality in the movie either, because that was part of the fabulous gag of living in Barbie Land. Barbie and Ken don't know what sex is.

Any person who claimed back on July 15th that Barbie would have gay characters and LGBT themes was shown to be completely wrong by the afternoon of July 21st.

And personally, because it was rated PG-13 and not marketed to small children, even if it did claim that Allan was gay or something, that would have been fine with me because of its intended audience of teens and adults.

But even Allan wasn't gay in the movie, he was just... Allan.
Good lord. You don’t get it. I look forward to your next box office chart extravaganza.

TP2000

Good lord. You don’t get it. I look forward to your next box office chart extravaganza.

This doesn't appear to be the big wow that you thought it might be.

You posted links to news stories dated July 15th and 16th about wildly inaccurate commentary and accusations about the movie, a full week before the Barbie movie even opened in theaters.

Your links dated from a week before the Barbie movie opened were that... A conservative Christian housewife (not that there's anything wrong with that) and a conservative Christian movie review website (who knew that sort of thing even existed?) both posted online between July 10th and 14th that they feared the Barbie movie would have LGBT characters and themes in it and that it was a movie aimed at children.

None of those things turned out to be true. The Barbie movie was rated PG-13, it had no LGBT character, and no LGBT plotline or theme. It had no real sexuality at all, because Barbie and Ken don't know what sex or genitals even are. They're both just a plastic shapeless lump down there. Which is the real joke, done very cleverly in the film. 🤣

So what's your point again? It doesn't make much sense I'm afraid. :oops:

ParkPeeker

I’ve used Once upon a time several times as an example of how to properly retell a new story with existing characters. But it’s not called Snow White, it’s a different name so people expect a different story.

I’ve also used Cruella multiple times as another example of how to set expectations, had they called it 101 Dalmatians people would have expected a retelling of the original. Maleficent is another example. This is the first case where Disney is using the original name to retell a completely different story.

I’ve also commented that had they called it something like “The Poison Apple” or some other reference to the movie, but not Snow White, they could have avoided a lot of the hostility because then people would be expecting something new with the old characters, not a retelling of Snow White, Disney created this mess by not being creative enough to come up with a clever new name.
Sorry I didn’t read those, I was mostly responding to more recent comments. Good on you for acknowledging it though.

I disagree with your assessment there. Cruella and Maleficent are different in title because they are 180 degree turns from the originals that inspired them. In which the villain isn’t a villain but actually the main character. Snow White isn’t doing that. This isn’t the first time disney has used an original name to tell a different yet similar story. Mulan, The jungle book, Alice in wonderland, all of those are very different from their originals. Granted Mulan preformed badly.

Alice in wonderland, and the jungle book however were box office hits, despite them being very different from the animated versions. Should it have been named “mowgli's jungle” because Scarlett Johansson was Kaa, or king Louie was now a gigantic menacing character? Or now there’s these extended backstories and the ending is completely different from that romance ending. No, no one cared about the differences and it was still “the jungle book(no need for different title)” to them (Objective evidence by the box office right?)

I think this has less to do with the title and more to do with her being the first Disney princess and first full length animated film, woke go broke crew, among other factors.

If there was one complaint, outside of the nonsensical, it was too much like the game. Was that Peach was too overbearing in parts. Why did "no one give a crap"? Because everything else was unapologetically made for fans of Mario. Nintendo didn't allow them to alter the characters. Peach has been a strong character since the 2nd game.
Whattt? You say that like the plot isn’t to save Peach in most of the mainline games. Peach isn’t Samus and the film version is definitely an addition to her character. But I agree that the Mario movie was made for the fans, despite the large amount of the fandom critiquing Chris Pratt’s Mario voice all over twitter when the teaser dropped.

Last edited:

LittleBuford

This doesn't appear to be the big wow that you thought it might be.

You posted links to news stories dated July 15th and 16th about wildly inaccurate commentary and accusations about the movie, a full week before the Barbie movie even opened in theaters.

Your links dated from a week before the Barbie movie opened were that... A conservative Christian housewife (not that there's anything wrong with that) and a conservative Christian movie review website (who knew that sort of thing even existed?) both posted online between July 10th and 14th that they feared the Barbie movie would have LGBT characters and themes in it and that it was a movie aimed at children.

None of those things turned out to be true. The Barbie movie was rated PG-13, it had no LGBT character, and no LGBT plotline or theme. It had no real sexuality at all, because Barbie and Ken don't know what sex or genitals even are. They're both just a plastic shapeless lump down there. Which is the real joke, done very cleverly in the film. 🤣

So what's your point again? It doesn't make much sense I'm afraid. :oops:
I think the point is that Barbie has a kind of messaging that Disney is routinely and harshly criticised for in certain quarters today. Some of the commentators in question (Ben Shapiro, for example) have been consistent in their approach and treated Barbie as we would expect them to, but for the most part, the film has been spared the sort of opprobrium it would have received had Disney made it. This is the double standard that many of us pointing to, and that is amply demonstrated by numerous posts in these very threads.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom