Live-Action ‘Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs’

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
What is this movie going to be called if there are no dwarfs?

Just Snow White?
Snow White and the Seven Magical Creatures?
Snow White and the Seven Renaissance Festival Workers?
Snow White and the Seven Men and Women Without Hats?
I believe just Snow White.

Although someone also suggested “and the seven Seattle hipsters” from what I recall.

TP2000

Case in point: Halle Bailey is now being held up as a paragon of grace and sweetness in order to underscore just how terrible Zegler is.

The point to that is that those interviews were happening at the exact same D23 Expo at the same time, likely just a few yards away from each other along that Step-And-Repeat wall of media.

And both actresses were delivering the exact same broad message; their upcoming Princess remake live action movies were going to be a modern new take on old classics. (Again, very predictable and not new in the 2020's)

But Halle Bailey's interviews come off as savvy and gracious and likable. Where Rachel Zegler's interviews come off as smirky and smug and unlikable.

That's not Halle Bailey's fault. That's Rachel Zegler's fault. Rachel Zegler was doing it wrong.

LittleBuford

The point to that is that those interviews were happening at the exact same D23 Expo at the same time, likely just a few yards away from each other along that Step-And-Repeat wall of media.

And both actresses were delivering the exact same broad message; their upcoming Princess remake live action movies were going to be a modern new take on old classics.

But Halle Bailey's interviews come off as savvy and gracious and likable. Where Rachel Zegler's interviews come off as smirky and smug and unlikable.

That's not Halle Bailey's fault. That's Rachel Zegler's fault. Rachel Zegler was doing it wrong.
Now address this part of my post:
Where was all this attentiveness to Bailey's interviews months ago in the Little Mermaid thread?

BuddyThomas

And both actresses were delivering the exact same broad message; their upcoming Princess remake live action movies were going to be a modern new take on old classics.

This is hysterical. You don’t even remember your early mermaid posts.

erasure fan1

That said, asking whether anyone had an issue with the story before 2020 isn't going to help your case, because Disney's 1937 treatment itself took great liberties with the source material, which was clearly considered too grisly for the target audience.
Yes, Disney took liberties with ALL of their adaptations from other peoples work. I think what is causing issues in a lot of peoples minds is now they are taking liberties with their own work. These movies that they are changing and remaking are not some bargain basement films. They are considered all time classics that don't need any updates by most. So a lot of people are just not going to be happy with anything you do to them. And I know, the original films are there to watch if you don't like the remakes. But that won't change that a lot of people highly dislike what they are doing.

BuddyThomas

Yes, Disney took liberties with ALL of their adaptations from other peoples work. I think what is causing issues in a lot of peoples minds is now they are taking liberties with their own work. These movies that they are changing and remaking are not some bargain basement films. They are considered all time classics that don't need any updates by most. So a lot of people are just not going to be happy with anything you do to them. And I know, the original films are there to watch if you don't like the remakes. But that won't change that a lot of people highly dislike what they are doing.
Again, there is absolutely no reason to remake a movie if you are going to do it exactly the same way. The haters can stay home.

LittleBuford

I don’t recall such opposition to Maleficent, which subverted many aspects of Sleeping Beauty. On the contrary, people seemed quite receptive to seeing a beloved classic reinterpreted through a new lens.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Remakes just become too much when that’s all they seem to want to do. A new twist on the same story isn’t creative imo.

Californian Elitist

Rachel, is that you? ;)
LOL I was going to say Zegler simply said what a lot of us have also said and thought.

Imagine being in a forest, humming a tune, then a strange man comes up behind you, grabs your hands, and starts humming with you. Then, as you try and escape, he keeps grabbing your hand, you keep pulling said hand out of his, and he keeps grabbing it again, STILL refusing to get the obvious hint and move on. Boy, get away from me and go on somewhere.

Someone actually did this to me when I was in Milan back in May. He kept following me and grabbing my arm, even as I kept pulling and walking away. The only difference is he made disgusting sexual gestures. I was alone and scared. I’m happy I got away from that perverted weirdo safely.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
He didn't Learn his Lessons Well because every bright description of the promised land meant that you can reach it if you keep alert. Learnin every line and every last commandment may not help him but it couldn't hurt. First ya gotta read 'em, then ya gotta heed 'em. You never know when you're gonna need 'em. Just as old Elijah said to Jezebel, ya better start to learn yer lessons well!

TP2000

Now address this part of my post:
Where was all this attentiveness to Bailey's interviews months ago in the Little Mermaid thread?

I didn't address that part of your post because I wasn't involved in that Little Mermaid thread until after the movie opened this summer. Most of my posts in that thread were about its box office performance, before we so wisely got our own Box Office thread last month. Plus my usual ramblings of Grandma Willhemina reading Hans Christian Andersen to us as children, blah, blah, blah. 🤣

That part of your post didn't reference anything I'd ever said about Halle Bailey's interviews, so I didn't respond to it.

According to the search function, my first post on The Little Mermaid thread was June 5th, 2023.

These D23 Expo interviews from Halle Bailey and Rachel Zegler were done in September, 2022.

So what did I miss last year? What were other people saying about Miss Bailey's D23 Expo interview?

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
I don’t recall such opposition to Maleficent, which subverted many aspects of Sleeping Beauty. On the contrary, people seemed quite receptive to seeing a beloved classic reinterpreted through a new lens.

Yes, buuuutttt... it was different in that it told the first story from the perspective of the Villian, gave her a backstory as to exactly why she was antagonistic towards her human neighbors, and her plans for retribution unfolded. From all we've heard so far (which could totally be fictitious) the protagonist is a strong-willed person who engages the disenfranchised to overthrow the current political system... a modern hippy fever dream.

BuddyThomas

The disastrous international box office of Mermaid could not have been helped by her pleasant personality, her casting cemented that with foreign audiences, unfortunately.

Generally, actors’ comments can only hurt a film as they are usually just vapid commentary written by their PR teams.

Whereas, here you have an actor actively turning potential audiences away from the film.

This will be a film people will love to mock openly and loudly.
It doesn’t open until next year. Your comment is meaningless. The film could be good or bad. No person knows at this point.

TP2000

He didn't Learn his Lessons Well because every bright description of the promised land meant that you can reach it if you keep alert. Learnin every line and every last commandment may not help him but it couldn't hurt. First ya gotta read 'em, then ya gotta heed 'em. You never know when you're gonna need 'em. Just as old Elijah said to Jezebel, ya better start to learn yer lessons well!

I'm afraid you two have me confused for someone else. :) (And if there's another poster with a bartender dog avatar, I'm going to be furious.)

I didn't post in The Little Mermaid thread until June 5th. Almost all of my posts in that thread are about box office data.

I don't really have an opinion on Halle Bailey's artistic merits in that movie because I've never seen it. And I've only seen her D23 Expo interviews on YouTube in the context of this thread here, first time about two weeks ago here.

I think you are confusing me for someone else who may have had an opinion on Halle Bailey in The Little Mermaid thread.

But in the interviews from the last D23 Expo, I think Halle Bailey handles herself with the press far better than Rachel Zegler did.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom