Live-Action ‘Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs’

Californian Elitist

But why would anyone show attentiveness to that if the context of the conversation was poor CGI, PC changes to the songs etc. Interviews were never the topic of discussion with Mermaid.
And yet, her interviews were brought up in this thread to compare her conduct to that of Zegler’s in her own interview, as if to prove something. Multiple people have stated that Zegler’s behavior will harm the success of the film. There was no point in bringing up Bailey’s interviews because, while her respective film made a profit, it didn’t make a significant one. Unless the interviews were introduced to this thread simply to compare conduct and behavior, I don’t see the point.

TP2000

This is hysterical. You don’t even remember your early mermaid posts.
He didn't Learn his Lessons Well because every bright description of the promised land meant that you can reach it if you keep alert. Learnin every line and every last commandment may not help him but it couldn't hurt. First ya gotta read 'em, then ya gotta heed 'em. You never know when you're gonna need 'em. Just as old Elijah said to Jezebel, ya better start to learn yer lessons well!

So, now that we know that you two are mistaken and I never said anything about Halle Bailey over in the Mermaid thread...

Talk about a rewrite of history, LOL.

What on earth did you mistakenly think I said about her? 🤔

Feel free to respond over in that thread, but I'm curious to know who you are thinking of if it's not me.

TP2000

Unless the interviews were introduced to this thread simply to compare conduct and behavior, I don’t see the point.

I believe I was one of the first people, if not the first, to bring up the Halle Bailey interviews. And that's exactly why, to compare conduct and behavior.

I don't remember specifics, but I likely found the interviews because they were contained in the same D23 Expo media interviews on YouTube we were suddenly discussing here about Rachel Zegler. And the difference was clear.

Just one look at those two young actresses answering the same types of softball interviews along a step-and-repeat media wall about similar live action remakes of classic Princess movies showed a noticeable difference in their tone and style. In my opinion, Halle Bailey conducted herself far more graciously and answered far better than Rachel Zegler did. All at the same D23 Expo, likely only a few yards away from each other at the same media cattle call.

Rachel Zegler obviously did this wrong. She should take lessons from Halle Bailey. In my opinion, of course.

Californian Elitist

I believe I was one of the first people, if not the first, to bring up the Halle Bailey interviews. And that's exactly why, to compare conduct and behavior.

I don't remember specifics, but I likely found the interviews because they were contained in the same D23 Expo media interviews on YouTube we were suddenly discussing here about Rachel Zegler. And the difference was clear.

Just one look at those two young actresses answering the same types of softball interviews along a step-and-repeat media wall about similar live action remakes of classic Princess movies showed a noticeable difference in their tone and style. In my opinion, Halle Bailey conducted herself far more graciously and answered far better than Rachel Zegler did. All at the same D23 Expo, likely only a few yards away from each other at the same media cattle call.

Rachel Zegler obviously did this wrong. She should take lessons from Halle Bailey.
Bailey didn’t have a choice, if we’re being honest.

Zegler doesn’t need to take anything from Bailey. We have no concrete, solid proof that her behavior will tank/bomb the film. If anything, folks should stop feeling attacked and offended over someone’s valid opinion about an old cartoon.

LittleBuford

But why would anyone show attentiveness to that if the context of the conversation was poor CGI, PC changes to the songs etc. Interviews were never the topic of discussion with Mermaid.
That was my point. All of these interviews (whether in relation to TLM or SW) passed completely under the radar when they were first published. It's only now that people are suddenly hanging on every (resurrected) word of Zegler's and discovering how wonderfully gracious and sweet Bailey was by comparison.

There was no existing culture in this subforum of caring to any significant degree about what actors had to say about their roles. Yet here we are with page after page of outrage all directed at a 22-year-old actress who happens not to like certain elements of a film made in the 1930s.

TP2000

Bailey didn’t have a choice, if we’re being honest.

I don't understand that. You mean Miss Bailey had no choice but to answer with grace and style?

I imagine her parents are as responsible for her polish as much as Disney's PR team of handlers in charge of her, plus legitimate hard work and talent from Bailey herself, but whoever it is that's responsible, they should be proud of themselves. It works.

Zegler doesn’t need to take anything from Bailey. We have no concrete, solid proof that her behavior will tank/bomb the film. If anything, folks should stop feeling attacked and offended over someone’s valid opinion about an old cartoon.

The good news here is that this bad string of PR didn't happen 3 weeks before the movie opened. It happened a full six months before it opened, in a lazy summer news cycle. So Disney has plenty of time to circle the wagons, regroup, rethink, and eventually relaunch both Rachel Zegler and their mega-budget live action remake of Snow White.

If this had happened in late February '24, they would have been really screwed. Luckily, it happened in August '23. :)

Tony the Tigger

@Tony the Tigger since my comments shock you so much. What about that leaked photo tells you that it won't be a train wreck? And before you say, I'm going to wait and see the film before I judge it. The question asked was why someone would say the movie is going to be a train wreck. That photo is a reason, because it isn't good. So if there is something in that photo that gives you confidence in the quality of the film, I'd be curious to know what it is.
I don’t have any problem with the photo. Was it a little surprising not knowing the context? Sure. But…

#1 - nothing is final.
#2 - I am not troubled by change.
#3 - I do not feel entitlement about the original film. Nor am I particularly reverent about it. I saw it as a kid, it was kind of boring, and I may have watched it once as an adult. I very much appreciate that it was first to market and so forth, but I’m also aware it has aged.
#4 - I don’t know who this actress is, I don’t care about her, I don’t care what color she is. I don’t care if she’s a Disney fan or a snow white fan or if she has just the right amount of respect for an animated film from a time of which she can’t even conceive.
#5 - I tend to be more open-minded and see how things play out.
#6 - I tend to be more imaginative and creative, so I can go with experimental things. I may or may not like it in the end, but I won’t have irrational hatred for it.
#7 - it’s a freaking movie - not even really targeted to me. Perspective. It may do some good for younger girls. I have no dog in that fight. And no, that doesn’t mean being a housewife is unworthy or invalid. But it wasn’t long ago at all that women couldn’t have a credit card in their name.

This Snow sounds not dissimilar to the one I enjoyed in OUAT (except that she combined her independence with destined romance.)

I really don’t care if the background players are 7, 8, or 9, nor how tall they are, what race they are, what they wear, or what their names are. None of those things are central to the story, and they’re all low-hanging fruit for making inclusivity and other adjustments.

That photo was not a scene from the movie, just a still. I’ve seen plenty of photos like that which end up looking far more impressive once they are on-screen, with effects, fully made-up, etc. And changes are made all the time.

I find it frustrating to read these criticisms - similar to when I wouldn’t want someone to critique my drawings when they weren’t finished. Wait until I present it to you.

But the bottom line is I genuinely don’t place much weight on the next Disney film in my life. I can’t. There are too many issues of actual importance in life.

And I don’t like the attacking of this young lady - especially when at least some of it has more to do with things other than her words.

It’s ugly to watch what should have been a grand majority graciously passing the torch to the next (more diverse and more accepting) generations, instead writhe and take fits and try to control everything and keep it their way longer than it deserves to be.

Last edited:

mickEblu

White Latinas exist.

My daughter is one. Well half anyway. My kids are 1/4 Jordanian, 1/4 Italian, 1/4 Cuban, 1/4 Guatemalan. She’s White with brown hair and blue eyes.
And yet, her interviews were brought up in this thread to compare her conduct to that of Zegler’s in her own interview, as if to prove something. Multiple people have stated that Zegler’s behavior will harm the success of the film. There was no point in bringing up Bailey’s interviews because, while her respective film made a profit, it didn’t make a significant one. Unless the interviews were introduced to this thread simply to compare conduct and behavior, I don’t see the point.

Right her interviews were brought up in this thread because Ziegler’s interviews have been a hot topic of discussion and a comparison can be made in how they were handled differently. I’m not sure what profit has to do with it. There could be multiple reasons a movie doesn’t do well. One thing is for sure, Disney has a losing formula right now. Good interviews weren’t going to save Mermaid.

Nobody was going to bring up how Halle was interviewing well out of the blue. You know what they say- bad news travels faster than good news. But I think TP has since said that he did comment on Halle’s interviews back then which makes him a good and stand up fellow that looks for the good in things.

Last edited:

doctornick

Remakes just become too much when that’s all they seem to want to do. A new twist on the same story isn’t creative imo.

To me, the remakes existed for only one reason: to make money. Period. They are a cynical money grabbing exercise, the complete opposite of anything "creative".

But that's fine. As long as they make a bunch of money.

If doing live action remakes brought in money to TWDC, then it was an evil I personally didn't care about - it brought in revenue to the company, helping them do other things I do care about (other films or shows, investing in the parks, etc).
But if the live action films lose money - or even worse on top of that cause poor PR for the company - they are a terrible idea. They only exist for one thing and failing to do that makes them worthless.

And the trend is not good. It's not just TLM, it's also other ones like Dumbo, Lady and the Tramp, Pinocchio, Peter Pan & Wendy, etc. I know it's tough to really assess the D+ stuff but the scuttlebutt generally seems to be poor and they don't seem to have been generally well received. And I think this bodes poorly for other live action films coming out including Snow White.

Meanwhile, you had stuff like Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin and The Lion King make gangbusters. They need to go back to doing that. Now, I don't claim to know for sure how to go about it but IMHO one of the ways it worked is that they stayed close to the original Disney films and were marketed as "here's a thing based on a thing you love that's just like the thing you love, come and see it!" I don't think that's "the" only answer, but I don't think it helps when the discussion is framed around how things were being "updated" or "modernized" - IMHO I think that turns away the very audience that drove the big box offices of previous live action films.

Californian Elitist

My daughter is one. Well half anyway. My kids are 1/4 Jordanian, 1/4 Italian, 1/4 Cuban, 1/4 Guatemalan. She’s White with brown hair and blue eyes.

Right her interviews were brought up in this thread because Ziegler’s interviews have been a hot topic of discussion and a comparison can be made in how they were handled differently. I’m not sure what profit has to do with it. There could be multiple reasons a movie doesn’t do well. One thing is for sure, Disney has a losing formula right now. Good interviews weren’t going to save Mermaid.

Nobody was going to bring up how Halle was interviewing well out of the blue. You know that they say- bad news travels faster than good news. But I think TP has since said that he did comment on Halle’s interviews back then which makes him a good and stand up fellow that looks for the good in things.
Some folks here have actually said that her comments will help the film lose money.

mickEblu

Some folks here have actually said that her comments will help the film lose money.

I think her coming off the way she did and talking negatively about the 1937 Snow White will definitely contribute to it doing poorly although it’s hard to say how much. If you are offended by those interviews you’ve probably already fell off the bandwagon but it could always be the straw that broke the camels back for some people. But none of this is finite. It’s fluid and they can win back a lot of people but they have to start changing the public’s perception of what the new Disney is.

Chi84

Premium Member
Very few people outside of the Disney fan community care about the issues being discussed here.

The members of my family are huge Disney fans and we have gone to the parks so many times I lost count. But I don’t think I’ve ever seen the entire animated Snow White and I don’t think either of my kids have seen any of it. Grandkids are still too young.

My kids’ favorite Disney movies are The Little Mermaid, Aladdin, BatB and Encanto. I’m not sure they’ve even seen the original Cinderella.

Its possible the lack of interest in Snow White is because of its age.

Bullseye1967

Is that who I am?
Premium Member
I don’t recall such opposition to Maleficent, which subverted many aspects of Sleeping Beauty. On the contrary, people seemed quite receptive to seeing a beloved classic reinterpreted through a new lens.
It was not a remake. It was a different story based on the same storyline. I thought it was well done. The same for Cruella. That is the big difference here. If you do a remake, fans of the original want to see something similar to what was previously made.

TP2000

Very few people outside of the Disney fan community care about the issues being discussed here.

Normally I would agree with you. I love it here, don't get me wrong, but this is a backwater corner of a fan discussion forum over 20 years old, which is not exactly a cutting edge technology in 2023. We aren't influencers, we are merely superfans reacting to the real influencers. There's maybe two dozen of us here, tops, who are actively engaged in this Zegler Snow White discussion. With perhaps a few hundred more Disney theme park fans scanning and skimming for a few minutes.

But then there's TikTok videos like this one linked below, which have already gained 3 Million views in the last 9 days.

3 Million viewers Vs. Three Hundred viewers.

This PR mess that Rachel Zegler created with her own words/attitude is a real problem for Disney. If it was just us few hundred theme park fans in this old discussion forum, it would be no problem. But it's now millions and millions of Americans who have seen this play out. It's a real problem for Disney to grapple with. This is just one of dozens of TikToks (I guess that's a word now?) like this on offer.... 3 Million views....

TP2000

It was not a remake. It was a different story based on the same storyline. I thought it was well done. The same for Cruella. That is the big difference here. If you do a remake, fans of the original want to see something similar to what was previously made.

Exactly.

If there's a story out there you want to do about a young woman in Medieval times who yearns to become the community leader that her father wanted her to be without a prince, then do that movie.

But don't do that movie and call it "Snow White". Don't even call it "Snow White's Leadership Adventure with Seven Magical Creatures, Presented by LinkedIn".

Call it something else, the new movie you created about a young woman's leadership adventure without a love story.

But be forewarned, you won't sell as many dresses at Bibbidi-Bobbidi-Boutique or Target that way. :(

Casper Gutman

Normally I would agree with you. I love it here, don't get me wrong, but this is a backwater corner of a fan discussion forum over 20 years old, which is not exactly a cutting edge technology in 2023. We aren't influencers, we are merely superfans reacting to the real influencers. There's maybe two dozen of us here, tops, who are actively engaged in this Zegler Snow White discussion. With perhaps a few hundred more Disney theme park fans scanning and skimming for a few minutes.

But then there's TikTok videos like this one linked below, which have already gained 3 Million views in the last 9 days.

3 Million viewers Vs. Three Hundred viewers.

This PR mess that Rachel Zegler created with her own words/attitude is a real problem for Disney. If it was just us few hundred theme park fans in this old discussion forum, it would be no problem. But it's now millions and millions of Americans who have seen this play out. It's a real problem for Disney to grapple with. This is just one of dozens of TikToks (I guess that's a word now?) like this on offer.... 3 Million views....

Ah yes, an “anti-Woke” YouTuber with video titles like “Stop Being ‘Offended’” - unless an actress makes some incredibly mild comments about an 85 year-old film, I suppose.

You post this garbage and continue to pretend you don’t see the network of outlets manufacturing this story, continue to pretend it’s entirely “her own words/ attitude” driving this.

Where did Zegler say she “hated” Snow White? You posted the article that broadcast that lie. Any thoughts on why outlets would falsify her words?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom