Live-Action ‘Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs’

erasure fan1

Again, there is absolutely no reason to remake a movie if you are going to do it exactly the same way. The haters can stay home.
Not my point.
I don’t recall such opposition to Maleficent, which subverted many aspects of Sleeping Beauty. On the contrary, people seemed quite receptive to seeing a beloved classic reinterpreted through a new lens.
Yes, Maleficent seems to be more well received than most of the live action films. I know many here don't believe that there's live action remake fatigue. But it's interesting that most of the live action remakes that seem to get more likes, are the early ones. Maleficent, Cinderella, jungle book, after that, the praise doesn't seem to come as consistently.

Casper Gutman

On this, I disagree with @Casper Gutman, because the prince's behaviour doesn't strike me as creepy or inappropriate by the logic established in the film itself.
"Logic established in the film" is key. Snow White is quite an odd film - I mentioned that it functions as an extended short. Alone among Disney films it doesn't really adhere to classic Hollywood narrative conventions, most notably psychological motivation. Snow White is barely a character - she has no arc, no really agency. We get almost no glimpse of her inner life. She never drives the action. She exists more as a symbol, something that is even more true of the Prince. This is where the "fairy tale logic" argument is fair - they aren't Hollywood protagonists, they're generic storybook cyphers.

The Dwarfs are different. The film is really about them, a series of vignettes featuring their antics in different situations - that extended short thing again. Unlike Snow White and the Prince, however, they have an arc, changing over the course of the film, and (ironically, given their names) they have more fleshed out internal lives then either romantic lead.

All of this had changed by Pinocchio or Dumbo, which are much more conventional Hollywood narratives. Snow White was always going to be the Disney film needing the most changes to be adapted to modern sensibilities, which is one of many reasons this brouhaha is silly.

So calling the Prince a stalker is definitely glib and possibly unfair because of the rules of the film, but those rules are incredibly unique even in the pantheon of Disney animation and would be very unfamiliar to any modern viewer not well versed in the historical place of the film.

TP2000

Barely in the US.

The domestic box office for Mermaid wasn't that bad, actually.

But based on its domestic box office, Little Mermaid performed horribly overseas. If Mermaid had done the same percentage of overseas box office vs. domestic box office than Aladdin and Lion King had done earlier, Little Mermaid would have made a small but notable profit for Disney.

Instead, Mermaid's modest domestic box office was paired with truly disastrous overseas box office. Thus, it has struggled to break even based on total global box office. Especially with its $250 Million production budget and very lavish $140 Million marketing budget. We can blame Canada. Or the Aussies. Or Koreans. Anyone but us.

Mermaid Dog Paddling.jpg

Casper Gutman

I'm afraid you two have me confused for someone else. :) (And if there's another poster with a bartender dog avatar, I'm going to be furious.)

I didn't post in The Little Mermaid thread until June 5th. Almost all of my posts in that thread are about box office data.

I don't really have an opinion on Halle Bailey's artistic merits in that movie because I've never seen it. And I've only seen her D23 Expo interviews on YouTube in the context of this thread here, first time about two weeks ago here.

I think you are confusing me for someone else who may have had an opinion on Halle Bailey in The Little Mermaid thread.

But in the interviews from the last D23 Expo, I think Halle Bailey handles herself with the press far better than Rachel Zegler did.
Iman Vellani has been even better then Bailey at PR, and you attacked her and, particularly, her physical attractiveness in an incredibly virulent, odious way.

Californian Elitist

The domestic box office for Mermaid wasn't that bad, actually.

But based on its domestic box office, Little Mermaid performed horribly overseas. If Mermaid had done the same percentage of overseas box office vs. domestic box office than Aladdin and Lion King had done earlier, Little Mermaid would have made a small but notable profit for Disney.

Instead, Mermaid's modest domestic box office was paired with truly disastrous overseas box office. Thus, it has struggled to break even based on total global box office. Especially with its $250 Million production budget and very lavish $140 Million marketing budget. We can blame Canada. Or the Aussies. Or Koreans. Anyone but us.

View attachment 739725
It still didn’t make much of a profit here, despite sweet, lil ‘ol Halle Bailey’s interviews.

Not going further than this with you.

LittleBuford

LOL I was going to say Zegler simply said what a lot of us have also said and thought.

Imagine being in a forest, humming a tune, then a strange man comes up behind you, grabs your hands, and starts humming with you. Then, as you try and escape, he keeps grabbing your hand, you keep pulling said hand out of his, and he keeps grabbing it again, STILL refusing to get the obvious hint and move on. Boy, get away from me and go on somewhere.

Someone actually did this to me when I was in Milan back in May. He kept following me and grabbing my arm, even as I kept pulling and walking away. The only difference is he made disgusting sexual gestures. I was alone and scared. I’m happy I got away from that perverted weirdo safely.
I’m really sorry that happened to you.

Casper Gutman

So the dwarfs/dwarves are the stars of the 1937 production, good thing Disney didn’t change them this time around!

/s
I mean, the version I really wanted would have replaced the Dwarfs with Shaolin monks, so I'm not against significant changes to those characters. Let's see what they actually do with them. The very fact that the big stars are playing Snow White and the Queen rather then any of the Dwarf surrogates indicates very fundamental changes to the structure of the film.

TP2000

Iman Vellani has been even better then Bailey at PR, and you attacked her and, particularly, her physical attractiveness in an incredibly virulent, odious way.

I haven't seen much of Iman Vellani's PR. I doubt I've ever even seen a movie with her in it. Her work is unknown to me, professionally. Which is why my only comments on her have been about her personal appearance.

But I do that constantly with almost everyone, notice (and often make mental judgments or assumptions, right or wrong) on people's appearance by clothing, hairstyle, makeup, wardrobe, grooming, etc. At the supermarket, the mall, restaurants and bars, parties and sociables. It's just how I view and take in the world around me. I'm a very visual learner and observer.

mickEblu

The attacks on her casting were entirely based on race prior to the recent “discovery” of her 2022 comments. Andrew C’s Terry Crews meme is from that period. We have also had a frequent poster on these boards post a meme referring to her as “Mud Brown.” The comments were dug up and broadcast by the same outlets attacking her race.

I think she looks White enough and that’s without any makeup to make her appear Whiter but I doubt Disney wants to do that. I don’t think they would have hired a Latina (?) if they wanted to go that route. I could only imagine the backlash they would face by social media warriors if they hired a Latina only to maker her look more White with make up.

I doubt most people complaining about her casting are racist. The issue is with Disney and how extremely far left and PC they’ve become. For example take the last and next live action Princess movie. Ok fine Ariel is Black now whatever but then you follow it up with a Snow WHITE who is not obviously White?

BuddyThomas

I think she looks White enough and that’s without any makeup to make her appear Whiter but I doubt Disney wants to do that. I don’t think they would have hired a Latina (?) if they wanted to go that route. I could only imagine the backlash they would face by social media warriors if they hired a Latina only to maker her look more White with make up.

I doubt most people complaining about her casting are racist. The issue is with Disney and how extremely far left and PC they’ve become. For example take the last and next live action Princess movie. Ok fine Ariel is Black now whatever but then you follow it up with a Snow WHITE who is not obviously White?
I have so many issues with this post but if I called out each line for what it is, I would get a ban.

mickEblu

I don't think they generally do. Rather, they pretend to care when doing so will further the point they're trying to make. Case in point: Halle Bailey is now being held up as a paragon of grace and sweetness in order to underscore just how terrible Zegler is. Where was all this attentiveness to Bailey's interviews months ago in the Little Mermaid thread?

But why would anyone show attentiveness to that if the context of the conversation was poor CGI, PC changes to the songs etc. Interviews were never the topic of discussion with Mermaid.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom