Live-Action ‘Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs’

LittleBuford

How could it be an irrational personal dislike if I never heard of her before seeing her comments?
I wasn't directing that at you specifically. But yes, if people would find the same comments unobjectionable if uttered by another actress (and we have evidence to that effect given that Lily James, Emma Watson, and Gal Gadot all expressed analogous sentiments), then their animus towards Zegler has no rational basis.

It's obvious that "It's not 1937 anymore" was a mantra during filming. Gadot (because she's not an imbecile) knows saying it publicly is toxic to the Disney fanbase. So as soon as she heard it coming out of her mouth, she tries to intercede (to shut her up) by giving one small example ("She's not gonna be saved by the prince!"), rather than let Zegler give a dissertation on all the ways the original film is bad. She was trying to help - it didn't work, but she tried.
So "It's not 1937 anymore" is what triggered everyone, not the stuff about not needing a prince?

AdventureHasAName

So "It's not 1937 anymore" is what triggered everyone, not the stuff about not needing a prince?
"Not needing a prince" is an example of a change from the original to the remake. It might be a good change, it might be a bad change, but it is still one change (and to be frank, it's not much of a change - the prince doesn't "save" Snow White in 1937, the Dwarfs do. All the prince does is kiss her in what amounts to the 1937 equivalent of a post-credits scene that wraps up the story). On the other hand, "It's not 1937 anymore" is a direct attack on the original film (and the people who love it).

TP2000

I wasn't directing that at you specifically. But yes, if people would find the same comments unobjectionable if uttered by another actress (and we have evidence to that effect given that Lily James, Emma Watson, and Gal Gadot all expressed analogous sentiments), then their animus towards Zegler has no rational basis.

It was her smirky delivery of those lines. When you read them via transcript they are all predictable, and even a bit tired and hackneyed in 2023.

But when you ladle on her cutesy facial gestures, her jokey-smirky delivery to the camera, and her adolescent and cliche' tone she speaks with as she tries to pull off maturity (without much success), it's the perfect storm of elitist smugness.

The transcript is not much, it's just a series of contrived PC cliche' after cliche'. But her delivery of those comments makes them disastrous. She's just a hired actress, but she's done this movie no favors with how she's presented it so far.. :oops:

LittleBuford

It was her smirky delivery of those lines. When you read them via transcript they are all predictable, and even a bit tired and hackneyed in 2023.

But when you ladle on her cutesy facial gestures, her jokey-smirky delivery to the camera, and her adolescent and cliche' tone she speaks with as she tries to pull off maturity (without much success), it's the perfect storm of elitist smugness.

The transcript is not much, it's just a series of PC cliche' after cliche'. But her delivery of those comments makes them disastrous. She's just a hired actress, but she's done this movie any favors. :oops:
So all that fuss because of her tone and facial gestures, not because she said anything you actually find objectionable?

TP2000

So all that fuss because of her tone and facial gestures, not because she said anything you actually find objectionable?

The fuss is all of it. Again, it's like the fired Bud Light executive, Alissa Heinerscheid. She was snotty, elitist, and smug. And she said all the tired and hackneyed things about her customer base that we've heard for almost a decade now, or we assume is said derisively about middle Americans in faculty lounges and media board rooms.

Rachel Zegler said nothing new or bold or insightful. It's all so stale and predictable now. But somehow, and this is the magic of it all, she comes across to many as being this unlikable person. A real snot. :oops:

Even a few folks here who are hopeful about the movie have mentioned that they're not big fans of Zegler as a person. Or at least the way she's been delivering her studio Talking Points in formal media interviews. It's off putting and annoying.

Thus... we get this bizarre news cycle where her own words torpedoed her own movie. I've never seen anything like it really.

Disstevefan1

I found true love. He’s sweeping the stairway.
This is reality and its why we don't need Snow White 2024.
The reality is, Women have always ruled the earth.
I am not complaining, just stating the facts.
Trophy.png

TP2000

I think it’s very fair to ask why Zegler in particular is such an appealing target to all the folks, here and elsewhere, lying or at least obfuscating what she said, blowing it out of proportion, reading everything about her in the most negative way imaginable. She is being held to a standard far, far above that applied to any other public figure, including those in politics. Why do we suppose that might be?

Because she's a snotty young person who just crapped on previous generations of artists who were far more accomplished than she is. Even setting aside the cultural importance of 1937's Snow White & The Seven Dwarves.

For the correct way to do this sort of PR, see Halle Bailey's interviews about Little Mermaid at the exact same D23 Expo.

Miss Bailey comes off as gracious and kind and likable, even fun; a sweet young person I'd be happy to talk with.

Miss Zegler comes off as snarky and smug and unlikable; a snotty young person I'd hate to be stuck sitting next to.

Last edited:

Dranth

The fuss is all of it. Again, it's like the fired Bud Light executive, Alissa Heinerscheid. She was snotty, elitist, and smug. And she said all the tired and hackneyed things about her customer base that we've heard for almost a decade now, or we assume is said derisively about middle Americans in faculty lounges and media board rooms.

Rachel Zegler said nothing new or bold or insightful. It's all so stale and predictable now. But somehow, and this is the magic of it all, she comes across to many as being this unlikable person. A real snot. :oops:

Even a few folks here who are hopeful about the movie have mentioned that they're not big fans of Zegler as a person. Or at least the way she's been delivering her studio Talking Points in formal media interviews. It's off putting and annoying.

Thus... we get this bizarre news cycle where her own words torpedoed her own movie. I've never seen anything like it really.
For just a moment, let's say you are right and she is a snot. So what? So is the vast majority of people under the age of about 30 (if not 35) including nearly every actor and actress that has ever existed. If you are going by that standard, you should have never watched a single movie, TV show, play, sporting event or concert.

Let's be honest here, people are blowing this out of proportion because they are already mad and they are looking for any avenue or outlet to vent some of that anger. I understand the urge but if you really step back and look at it objectively, it is pretty unreasonable in this case.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom