Live-Action ‘Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs’

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
Does that mean you generally dislike the way Disney has portrayed female characters since Frozen?
Comments of the directors aside, the live-action remakes of Beauty and the Beast, Cinderella, Aladdin, and The Little Mermaid were all romances.

I like live-action Mulan much better than a lot of people and would actually love to see an R-rated martial arts cut of the movie with more violence. Because Mulan is Mulan. Snow White isn't Mulan.

Moana is one of my top-5 all-time Disney movies.

Peter Pan and Wendy was embarrassing. Willow was so embarrassing they Thanos-snapped it from existence. I loathe Turning Red.

So it's a mixed bag. I'm not saying every female-led film has to be a romance. But I reject this toxic modern mindset that romance and fairytale are genres to be mocked and ridiculed.

Disstevefan1

Its not like TWDC lacks creativity. For Snow White 2024 they wrote an entirely new movie and just titled it Snow White.

They could have simply changed the title too, but I think Disney wanted to intentionally stomp on the 1937 classic.

In my opinion this is worse than "erasing from existence" Splash mountain.

This is only the beginning. This will continue as the company is doing exactly what they want to do.

Last edited:

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Its not like TWDC lacks creativity. For Snow White 2024 the wrote an entirely new movie and just titled it Snow White.

They could have simply changed the title too, but I think Disney wanted to intentionally stomp on the 1937 classic.

In my opinion this is worse than "erasing from existence" Splash mountain.

This is only the beginning. This will continue as the company is doing exactly what they want to do.
Snow White in the Multiverse of Madness.

LittleBuford

Comments of the directors aside, the live-action remakes of Beauty and the Beast, Cinderella, Aladdin, and The Little Mermaid were all romances.

I like live-action Mulan much better than a lot of people and would actually love to see an R-rated martial arts cut of the movie with more violence. Because Mulan is Mulan. Snow White isn't Mulan.

Moana is one of my top-5 all-time Disney movies.

Peter Pan and Wendy was embarrassing. Willow was so embarrassing they Thanos-snapped it from existence. I loathe Turning Red.

So it's a mixed bag. I'm not saying every female-led film has to be a romance. But I reject this toxic modern mindset that romance and fairytale are genres to be mocked and ridiculed.
Your answer leaves me confused. You initially said that Zegler’s characterisation of the film tells us it’s going to be a stinker. You then agreed with me that that characterisation is entirely consistent with Disney’s messaging for the past decade. And now you’re acknowledging that you’ve actually enjoyed some of the films that have been produced in that timeframe, notwithstanding the (from your perspective) undesirable messaging that’s been attached to them.

Doesn’t that suggest that Zegler’s statements can only tell us so much about the final product? And since romance seems to be top priority for you, I’ll mention again (because it keeps getting lost in the “Disney hates men” din) that the live-action Snow White will, it seems, have a love interest in this rather dashing fellow:

snow-white-burnap-header.jpg

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
Your answer leaves me confused. You initially said that Zegler’s characterisation of the film tells us it’s going to be a stinker. You then agreed with me that that characterisation is entirely consistent with Disney’s messaging for the past decade. And now you’re acknowledging that you’ve actually enjoyed some of the films that have been produced in that timeframe, notwithstanding the (from your perspective) undesirable messaging that’s been attached to them.

Doesn’t that suggest that Zegler’s statements can only tell us so much about the final product? And since romance seems to be top priority for you, I’ll mention again (because it keeps getting lost in the “Disney hates men” din) that the live-action Snow White will, it seems, have a love interest in this rather dashing fellow:
Fair enough, I wasn't following the press circuits for those films and wasn't aware of the comments made in advance of Beauty and the Beast etc.

So I'll modify my position: If Snow White (2024) is in line with Zegler's comments, I think it'll be a stinker. But based on prior inconsistency between pre-release comments the movies that were actually released, I'll allow for the possibility that her comments might not be representative of the finished picture.

Said another way: The messaging stinks. And the stuff they've made that matches the messaging stinks.

LittleBuford

Fair enough, I wasn't following the press circuits for those films and wasn't aware of the comments made in advance of Beauty and the Beast etc.

So I'll modify my position: If Snow White (2024) is in line with Zegler's comments, I think it'll be a stinker. But based on prior inconsistency between pre-release comments the movies that were actually released, I'll allow for the possibility that her comments might not be representative of the finished picture.

Said another way: The messaging stinks. And the stuff they've made that matches the messaging stinks.
I don’t agree with everything you say in this post, but thank you for engaging in actual dialogue with me.

erasure fan1

@Tony the Tigger since my comments shock you so much. What about that leaked photo tells you that it won't be a train wreck? And before you say, I'm going to wait and see the film before I judge it. The question asked was why someone would say the movie is going to be a train wreck. That photo is a reason, because it isn't good. So if there is something in that photo that gives you confidence in the quality of the film, I'd be curious to know what it is.

LittleBuford

@Tony the Tigger since my comments shock you so much. What about that leaked photo tells you that it won't be a train wreck? And before you say, I'm going to wait and see the film before I judge it. The question asked was why someone would say the movie is going to be a train wreck. That photo is a reason, because it isn't good. So if there is something in that photo that gives you confidence in the quality of the film, I'd be curious to know what it is.
The photo doesn't look good. I'll readily acknowledge that.

But the costume designer is Sandy Powell, a seasoned and Oscar-winning professional who also designed the costumes for Cinderella.

So is it just possible that a leaked, unflattering production photo doesn't tell us the whole story and that the characters, together with their costumes designed by the award-winning Powell, might look better in the movie itself?

Chi84

Premium Member
The photo doesn't look good. I'll readily acknowledge that.

But the costume designer is Sandy Powell, a seasoned and Oscar-winning professional who also designed the costumes for Cinderella.

So is it just possible that a leaked, unflattering production photo doesn't tell us the whole story and that the characters, together with their costumes designed by the award-winning Powell, might look better in the movie itself?
No. 😉

erasure fan1

So is it just possible that a leaked, unflattering production photo doesn't tell us the whole story and that the characters, together with their costumes designed by the award-winning Powell, will look better in the movie itself?
I agree, that's why I said the trailer needs to be good to change the narrative. But I was given the 😳 I can't believe you said that reaction. And I'm just trying to figure out why. The image is what it is, a verified image from the movie. It's not fake, and while it does use some stand ins, it still gives a glimpse of what the film could look like, for better or worse.

GimpYancIent

I agree, that's why I said the trailer needs to be good to change the narrative. But I was given the 😳 I can't believe you said that reaction. And I'm just trying to figure out why. The image is what it is, a verified image from the movie. It's not fake, and while it does use some stand ins, it still gives a glimpse of what the film could look like, for better or worse.
Realistically what has been put out there is not flattering on multiple levels, but, the scary thing is Disney marketing has not yet put on a full court press advertising this production. Over the last decade Disney marketing has not developed a strong record of effective advertising. Not a good outlook.

Tha Realest

Realistically what has been put out there is not flattering on multiple levels, but, the scary thing is Disney marketing has not yet put on a full court press advertising this production. Over the last decade Disney marketing has not developed a strong record of effective advertising. Not a good outlook.
One explanation for why that may be the case is because Disney has other films to promote in the meantime, and the March release date may not be set in stone

TP2000

No, but I am sure you are happy about this. You (and several others who hate the modern Disney company) are practically giddy each time a Disney film flops and are probably low-key excited that Rachel is making the bashing so easy for you this time around.

"Hate" is way too strong a word. I can't speak for others, but I am merely disappointed in Disney movies lately.

I also am baffled that Disney executives are this stupid, and wonder if they even realize why many of their recent mega-budget movies have flopped as badly as they have. I no longer have confidence that the media executives running Disney's flagship studios understand how badly they've misjudged their core audience. The recent box office results are judge and jury.

But "hate"? Nope. Not even close to that level of emotion for me.

Zegler's comments don't give me confidence in the movie.

So, do you "hate" modern Disney because of her comments?

Or are you merely disappointed and baffled by them, like I am? :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom