Live-Action ‘Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs’

TP2000

Which recent Disney movies have you seen to be disappointed in?

I was speaking of their box office disappointment. Financially, they've been an almost uniform disaster for the past year.

And now with all this bad PR six months out, Snow White's Leadership Adventure isn't building great buzz for itself.

LittleBuford

I was speaking of their box office disappointment.
Given all the time you've spent earnestly pondering the reasons for this disappointment, it's a wonder you haven't watched any of the films for yourself so that you might have a better sense of what it is that's caused Disney to spiral so. One can't very well advise a chef on how to improve their cooking without trying their food first.

TP2000

I agree. For any actor, the requirement to stick to the talking points in all interviews should be written into their contract. Talking points are just as important as the script in movie. Actors should be talking in the third person and discuss the character and the story and keep personal opinion out of it.

I know this actress is young but she is getting paid A LOT of money to do what she is doing. The fault is both the actress AND TWDC for not defining and enforcing what they needed from the actress they are paying a lot of money.

Agreed. What I think is unfortunate, now that I've watched way too many Rachel Zegler interviews on YouTube 🤣, is that she actually does seem to be sticking to her Talking Points for media interviews. This isn't a rogue actress going way off script, it's an actress delivering her basic Talking Points approved by the studio. But...

She delivers those lines in such a smirky, smug, laughing at Walt sort of way, that it really sent the interviews into a whole other level. Her tone and attitude coated her Talking Points in scorn, whether she knew it or not.

I don't think (but maybe I'm wrong) that Zegler's bloviating is what people are concerned with. I don't care that she's unpolished on the red carpet or that she had an attitude on the picket line. I care that her comments gave us a window into the direction this film is taking the story and that it appears that the story will be hackneyed fourth-wave intersectional pap.

Yup. It makes you wonder who this movie is aimed at? I assume it will be rated PG and marketed at the family audience, for parents to take their young girls to see.

If Disney really wants to go this route and turn their traditional Princesses into "Leaders" who don't need romance or love, they're going to need to rethink the expensive Bibbidi-Bobbidi stores in Fantasyland in all their parks.

Maybe turn them into an Ann Taylor where young girls can get fitted for their first leadership pant suit instead?

TP2000

Given all the time you've spent earnestly pondering the reasons for this disappointment, it's a wonder you haven't watched any of the films for yourself so that you might have a better sense of what it is that's caused Disney to spiral so. One can't very well advise a chef on how to improve their cooking without trying their food first.

I'm not about to start going to see Princess movies and Marvel superhero stuff. It's just not my scene. Never has been.

But until this movie comes out and we can discuss it's box office performance in the free market, it's been really interesting to watch this movie's star smirk and smug as she builds up some of the worst PR in modern movie history. :eek:

The one piece of good news for Snow White and Disney, is that all this blew up and happened six months before the movie opens in theaters. You just know that Disney has convened meetings over this PR mess, and luckily they have time to stay silent for a few months as they craft a carefully rebuilt PR campaign for this big budget movie.

If this had happened only 3 weeks before the movie opened in theaters, Disney would have really been screwed. Luckily, they have plenty of time to fix it, and get Rachel Zegler retrained on how to approach her softball interviews.

Disstevefan1

I was speaking of their box office disappointment. Financially, they've been an almost uniform disaster for the past year.

And now with all this bad PR six months out, Snow White's Leadership Adventure isn't building great buzz for itself.
SnowWhiteLeadershipAdventure.jpg

Last edited:

AdventureHasAName

The treatment of her remarks as outlandishly and uniquely offensive, when Gadot is right next to her in both interviews saying, “She’s not gonna be saved by the prince.”
I can think of some obvious reasons for this ...

1. Gadot has been in major Hollywood films much longer, including starring in major blockbusters, while Zegler is basically a nobody. Gadot may have goodwill stored-up with the public; Zegler has none,
2. Zegler is starring in this film and playing the title character, while Gadot is not,
3. Zegler is the person making the comments; Gadot appears to be trying to save her from herself by gently interceding in the interview,
4. Gadot is 38 (and has life experience) and Zegler is 22 (and sounds like she's parroting a TA at Sarah Lawrence).

LittleBuford

I can think of some obvious reasons for this ...

1. Gadot has been in major Hollywood films much longer, including starring in major blockbusters, while Zegler is basically a nobody. Gadot may have goodwill stored-up with the public; Zegler has none,
2. Zegler is starring in this film and playing the title character, while Gadot is not,
3. Zegler is the person making the comments; Gadot appears to be trying to save her from herself by gently interceding in the interview,
4. Gadot is 38 (and has life experience) and Zegler is 22 (and sounds like she's parroting a TA at Sarah Lawrence).
If Zegler's words aren't inherently offensive and are objectionable solely because she's the one who said them, then we're dealing with what I would consider an irrational personal dislike.

As for your third point, Gadot it not gently interceding; she interrupts Zegler early in her answer and is the first to utter those infamous words, "She's not gonna be saved by the prince!" Here, again, is the transcript:

Variety interviewer: You said you were bringing a modern edge to it on stage. What do you mean by that?

Zegler: I just mean that it’s no longer 1937. And we absolutely wrote a Snow White that is—

Gadot [interrupting]: She’s not gonna be saved by the prince!

Zegler: She’s not gonna be saved by the prince! And she's not gonna be dreaming about true love. She’s dreaming about becoming the leader she knows she can be, and the leader that her late father told her that she could be if she was fearless, fair, brave, and true. And so, it’s just a really incredible story for, I think, young people everywhere to see themselves in.

Interviewer [jokingly]: Snow White is running for president!

Zegler: I’m launching my campaign! I am!

AdventureHasAName

If Zegler's words aren't inherently offensive and are objectionable solely because she's the one who said them, then we're dealing with what I would consider an irrational personal dislike.
How could it be an irrational personal dislike if I never heard of her before seeing her comments?

As for your third point, Gadot it not gently interceding; she interrupts Zegler early in her answer and is the first to utter those infamous words, "She's not gonna be saved by the prince!" Here, again, is the transcript:

Variety interviewer: You said you were bringing a modern edge to it on stage. What do you mean by that?

Zegler: I just mean that it’s no longer 1937. And we absolutely wrote a Snow White that is—

Gadot [interrupting]: She’s not gonna be saved by the prince!

Zegler: She’s not gonna be saved by the prince! And she's not gonna be dreaming about true love. She’s dreaming about becoming the leader she knows she can be, and the leader that her late father told her that she could be if she was fearless, fair, brave, and true. And so, it’s just a really incredible story for, I think, young people everywhere to see themselves in.

Interviewer [jokingly]: Snow White is running for president!

Zegler: I’m launching my campaign! I am!
It's obvious that "It's not 1937 anymore" was a mantra during filming. Gadot (because she's not an imbecile) knows saying it publicly is toxic to the Disney fanbase. So as soon as she heard it coming out of her mouth, she tries to intercede (to shut her up) by giving one small example ("She's not gonna be saved by the prince!"), rather than let Zegler give a dissertation on all the ways the original film is bad. She was trying to help - it didn't work, but she tried.

TP2000

I think you are insulting TA's at Sarah Lawrence. (Which I am only aware of because I remember that Leslie Gore went there, and also a few decades of bar jokes whenever a few ladies showed up to play darts with us.)

Looking into this Rachel Zegler mess, it turns out she never went to college. She graduated from high school in New York, and then went straight into full time acting at age 18. Which makes sense now.

Miss Zegler did once say to a reporter that she thought filming Shazam, Fury Of The Gods was a lot like what she assumes Freshman year of college would be like, which is an absolutely hilarious line when you consider she was being serious. 😍

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom