Live-Action ‘Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs’

Casper Gutman

What's inorganic? She said incredibly dumb stuff that anyone with a pulse would realize fans of the original film would find eye-rolling (at best) and offensive (at worst). So people said to themselves, "If she was dumb enough to say that in public, I wonder what other dumb stuff she has said over the years," and went looking for it. And guess what? She said a bunch of dumb stuff over the years.

It's not anybody else's fault that she's dumb and doesn't realize it.
Your timeline is fiction.

LittleBuford

I have been following this for weeks and not said a word. I find it incredible that @LittleBuford and @Casper Gutman can try to make their own echo chamber about anything regarding this. It is a disaster waiting to happen. Across the boards there are many saying this. The fact that the two of you want to claim it isn't does matter about the bad PR. time will tell but it will be the same outcome.
It must be some echo chamber, because you’re hearing things I never said. Far from claiming the bad PR doesn’t matter, I’ve stated the opposite—twice:
I fear it'll do badly regardless of its strengths and weaknesses. The campaign against it has received enough mainstream coverage that I think many will be put off seeing it.
Because the bad PR has gone mainstream enough that I think the film’s chances of doing well are irretrievably damaged.

Ghost93

You may not be happy about this, but it's real. It's happening. And this little corner backwater discussion forum, all two dozen of us, is not guiding it or controlling it. We are merely trying to catch up to what already happened on TikTok last week.
No, but I am sure you are happy about this. You (and several others who hate the modern Disney company) are practically giddy each time a Disney film flops and are probably low-key excited that Rachel is making the bashing so easy for you this time around.

As I've said with every other controversial Disney film of the past two years, I'll reserve judgment till I see the new Snow White. It COULD be abysmal, a mixed bag or a pleasant surprise. Zegler's comments don't give me confidence in the movie.

Worst case scenario, the movie turns out terrible, it flops, and we all move on and rewatch the original animated film. I have too many real problems to deal with to be outraged over a Snow White remake not being good.

Marionnette

The treatment of her remarks as outlandishly and uniquely offensive, when Gadot is right next to her in both interviews saying, “She’s not gonna be saved by the prince.”
After watching the Variety interview, it strikes me that Godot (the older, more experienced actress) was prompting Zegler to get back to the studio talking points. Those talking points being that her character is a strong female who is in charge of her destiny rather than the passive character in the 1937 animated classic. My personal impression is that Zegler is like many 22-year-olds. She has a long way to grow. As she matures, I expect more diplomatic answers to interview questions.

LittleBuford

After watching the Variety interview, it strikes me that Godot (the older, more experienced actress) was prompting Zegler to get back to the studio talking points. Those talking points being that her character is a strong female who is in charge of her destiny rather than the passive character in the 1937 animated classic. My personal impression is that Zegler is like many 22-year-olds. She has a long way to grow. As she matures, I expect more diplomatic answers to interview questions.
Zegler was near the beginning of her answer when Gadot intervened with “She’s not gonna be saved by the prince”, so that isn’t my sense of what happened. You can also see Gadot and a man to her left smiling and nodding approvingly as Zegler completes her response, which merely builds on Gadot’s words. I actually think she (Zegler) comes across as quite polished and “on-script” in the Variety interview; it’s the one she did for Extra TV, where she compared the prince to a stalker, that strayed from the Disney-approved talking points.

Disstevefan1

I agree. For any actor, the requirement to stick to the talking points in all interviews should be written into their contract. Talking points are just as important as the script in movie. Actors should be talking in the third person and discuss the character and the story and keep personal opinion out of it.

I know this actress is young but she is getting paid A LOT of money to do what she is doing. The fault is both the actress AND TWDC for not defining and enforcing what they needed from the actress they are paying a lot of money.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
Zegler was near the beginning of her answer when Gadot intervened with “She’s not gonna be saved by the prince”, so that isn’t my sense of what happened. You can also see Gadot and a man to her left smiling and nodding approvingly as Zegler completes her response, which merely builds on Gadot’s words. I actually think she (Zegler) comes across as quite polished and “on-script” in the Variety interview; it’s the one she did for Extra TV, where she compared the prince to a stalker, that strayed from the Disney-approved talking points.
I don't think (but maybe I'm wrong) that Zegler's bloviating is what people are concerned with. I don't care that she's unpolished on the red carpet or that she had an attitude on the picket line. I care that her comments gave us a window into the direction this film is taking the story and that it appears that the story will be hackneyed fourth-wave intersectional pap.

LittleBuford

Just so we all know what we’re talking about:

Variety interviewer: You said you were bringing a modern edge to it on stage. What do you mean by that?

Zegler: I just mean that it’s no longer 1937. And we absolutely wrote a Snow White that is—

Gadot [interrupting]: She’s not gonna be saved by the prince!

Zegler: She’s not gonna be saved by the prince! And she's not gonna be dreaming about true love. She’s dreaming about becoming the leader she knows she can be, and the leader that her late father told her that she could be if she was fearless, fair, brave, and true. And so, it’s just a really incredible story for, I think, young people everywhere to see themselves in.

Interviewer [jokingly]: Snow White is running for president!

Zegler: I’m launching my campaign! I am!

Last edited:

LittleBuford

I don't think (but maybe I'm wrong) that Zegler's bloviating is what people are concerned with.
They’re doing a very good job of telling us otherwise, though I actually agree with you! She’s merely the entity they’ve attached their grievances too. If not her, it would have been someone or something else.

I care that her comments gave us a window into the direction this film is taking the story and that it appears that the story will be hackneyed fourth-wave intersectional pap.
Her comments reveal an approach that’s entirely consistent with Disney’s handling of princesses since Frozen back in 2013. Can you point to something that you feel is new in this instance?

Last edited:

LittleBuford

Oh no, not true love! The horror!

We can't have true love! We need to Reimagine Snow White for Modern Audiences ™️. Slay queen, she don't need no man.
Again, she was beaten to this egregious sentiment by the director of Beauty and the Beast remake: “She really is the first modern Disney princess who doesn’t want to be a princess . . . Someone who's more interested in figuring out who she is than finding a guy and getting married.” And before him by Lily James, star of Cinderella: “This girl isn't waiting for a prince. . . . She is in charge of her own destiny in that her strength and her courage that come from within make her almost a superhero.”

Disstevefan1

I don't think (but maybe I'm wrong) that Zegler's bloviating is what people are concerned with. I don't care that she's unpolished on the red carpet or that she had an attitude on the picket line. I care that her comments gave us a window into the direction this film is taking the story and that it appears that the story will be hackneyed fourth-wave intersectional pap.
SW2024_iger.jpg

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I would offer two answers to this:

The year-long gap between when she made the remarks and when they they were brought into the news cycle.

The treatment of her remarks as outlandishly and uniquely offensive, when Gadot is right next to her in both interviews saying, “She’s not gonna be saved by the prince.”

Don't forget this doozy: Interpreting Zegler's critiques as her *hating* the original, and the posting "She said she hates the original" when, in fact, she never said 'hate.'

I have a lot of critiques of The Haunted Mansion, but that doesn't mean I hate it. I ride it often and love it.

So... two inorganic errors rolled into one.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom