Live-Action ‘Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs’

Tha Realest

In a statement to The Independent, a Disney spokesperson clarified: “The images that ran [in the Daily Mail] are not official film photos. These show stand-ins for some talent and do not feature Rachel Zegler or Andrew Burnap.”
So, they’re real after Disney claimed they were fake.

It’s common that photos leak during production before official images are released - it happens all the time. I guess it’s possible the “dwarves” or whatever they’re called in the film will look substantially different in terms of costuming, but that’s unlikely at this point.

Tha Realest

Didn’t realize this is being co-written by Greta Gerwig.

That combined with the comments that this version won’t have a Prince Charming and that this Snow White would never say, “Someday my prince will come” pretty much tells you where this is headed.

Maybe this goes straight to D+?
It’s set for a theatrical release.

Now, a few days after release there may be recriminations that the marketing spend required to boost a theatrical release was wasted money, and this would be better served for straight to D+ (in terms of audience response and box office earnings) but that’s a debate for early 2024.

Ghost93

Didn’t realize this is being co-written by Greta Gerwig.

That combined with the comments that this version won’t have a Prince Charming and that this Snow White would never say, “Someday my prince will come” pretty much tells you where this is headed.

Maybe this goes straight to D+?
Getting rid of the romance would be a huge mistake, as it's a huge part of Snow White.

I think following the success of Frozen and other similar movies around the mid-2010s, much of mainstream culture LIKED Disney calling out aspects of its older movies that are largely seen as dated or not progressive. So I think a lot of these changes that Disney have been making to its movies are based on the assumption that audiences want all the classics to be updated with a super progressive mindset that is highly critical of the past.

That may have been true of general audiences about five years ago, but I think that most audiences have looped back around to the point where they are sick of Disney criticizing its legacy and view such efforts through a more cynical lense now.

When Frozen came out 10 years ago, calling out "marrying a man you just met", saying that "true love" doesn't have to be romantic or heteronormative, emphasizing family dynamics over romance and having the villain be a twist was all rather fresh. But now audiences are kind of sick of the cynical "we are so much smarter than an old Disney movie" mentality.

Trauma

It’s common that photos leak during production before official images are released - it happens all the time. I guess it’s possible the “dwarves” or whatever they’re called in the film will look substantially different in terms of costuming, but that’s unlikely at this point.
I think they are called “Magical Creatures”.

I’m looking forward to the retheme of 7dmt to 7mcmt.

HI HO HI HO to the renaissance fair we go!

Trauma

Getting rid of the romance would be a huge mistake, as it's a huge part of Snow White.

I think following the success of Frozen and other similar movies around the mid-2010s, much of mainstream culture LIKED Disney calling out aspects of its older movies that are largely seen as dated or not progressive. So I think a lot of these changes that Disney have been making to its movies are based on the assumption that audiences want all the classics to be updated with a super progressive mindset that is highly critical of the past.

That may have been true of general audiences about five years ago, but I think that most audiences have looped back around to the point where they are sick of Disney criticizing its legacy and view such efforts through a more cynical lense now.

When Frozen came out 10 years ago, calling out "marrying a man you just met", saying that "true love" doesn't have to be romantic or heteronormative, emphasizing family dynamics over romance and having the villain be a twist was all rather fresh. But now audiences are kind of sick of the cynical "we are so much smarter than an old Disney movie" mentality.
That’s your well reasoned thoughtful take on things.

What if instead the company had been overrun with activist willing to push an agenda regardless of results ?

It could be either or, but we do have some leaked video pointing towards the later.

Animaniac93-98

But now audiences are kind of sick of the cynical "we are so much smarter than an old Disney movie" mentality.

Snow White, Cinderella and Sleeping Beauty have been popular and profitable for decades for a reason. Disney used to understand this, but some reason thinks they can have their cake and eat it too by pushing merch based on the animated classics AND producing live-action remakes that are marketed to people who don't like Disney Princess movies...

GimpYancIent

Twists and different interpretations are not exactly groundbreaking. Didn't Maleficent kiss Aurora to break her spell when the prince proved ineffective / inept?

TP2000

That photo is brutal. I don't blame Disney for trying to claim it was fake.

4BCDE876-EBD4-4EBA-BB05-341E57F36340.jpeg

They look like a cross between a cheaply budgeted East European knock-off of Snow White, and the traveling B cast of Godspell. 🤣

This movie will be a dumpster fire at the box office.

WorldExplorer

So...if we've lost the prince, plus the dwarves...does that mean they just wiped out every iconic song from this film? Or are they all just not-dwarf miners now?

I guess Silly Song could still happen? But that doesn't seem like something they'd include in a modern movie.

Edit: Whistle While You Work, but I somehow doubt she'll sing about cleaning, based on what we've heard.

Last edited:

TP2000

So...if we've lost the prince, plus the dwarves...does that mean they just wiped out every iconic song from this film? Or are they all just not-dwarf miners now?

I guess Silly Song could still happen? But that doesn't seem like something they'd include in a modern movie.

I hadn't even thought of that, but you're right.

These cast and plot changes either eliminate, or radically alter, the need for some iconic songs in the movie.

I guess they could write new lyrics set to original songs? "Hi Ho, Hi Ho, it's off to the Ren Faire snack bar we go..."

TP2000

How much did they spend on this one?

Just lighting money on fire at this point.

They spent an inflation adjusted average of $200 Million on the 3 live remakes before Mermaid. Then for Mermaid that production budget jumped up to a staggering $250 Million (which is why Mermaid will lose Millions for Disney at the box office). But for this, let's hope that they dropped back down below $200 Million.

Still, even if the budget was only $75 Million for this thing, it's likely going to lose money at the box office.

Brace for impact next March. I can't wait to do facts and data on this one. :eek:

brb1006

That photo is brutal. I don't blame Disney for trying to claim it was fake.

4BCDE876-EBD4-4EBA-BB05-341E57F36340.jpeg

They look like a cross between a cheaply budgeted East European knock-off of Snow White, and the traveling B cast of Godspell. 🤣

This movie will be a dumpster fire at the box office.
The Dwarfs from the TV Movie "Snow White: The Fairiest of Them All" by Hallmark (although it aired as part of "The Wonderful World of Disney") looked more accurate than this.
Snow-White-2001-6.jpg

Also can somebody make an edit of the leaked photo of the Dwarfs by adding each of their names. I'm struggling to tell which one is suppose to be Dopey.

Last edited:

Willmark

Now I’m not a huge Disney fan (read not much of one at all) and didn’t really grow up with any Disney movies, but isn’t Snow White one of the most beloved animation movies of all time? If not THE MOST?

If that’s the case what is gained by a live action remake?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom