Live-Action ‘Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs’

Californian Elitist

Was Walt Disney's Snow White & The Seven Dwarves, or its Grimm's Fairytales source material, a story of "female leadership roles"???

This is exactly what makes people roll their eyes and/or laugh at whatever vapid and rather stupid sounding drivel Miss Zegler says about this live action remake of an old cartoon. :rolleyes: 🤣 Snow White in Walt Disney's film wasn't in a "leadership role", aside from cleaning up the dwarves cabin, as most women would if they ever set foot in a bachelor pad.

But sure, make the fable of Snow White all about "leadership". Presented by LinkedIn, in association with TED Talks.

But really, it's a just cute little story about a pretty girl who finds seven dwarves living in the forest on her way to finding true love.

You should alert the media about that, because they've been going in a completely different direction the last two weeks.

It doesn’t matter. She still didn’t crap on the animated film, as you claim.

My point was made.

Casper Gutman

I’ve never seen him suggest that he speaks for all fans. Only that he speaks for himself and a certain share of the potential customer base. who are choosing not to be customers because of the issues he has discussed.
In this thread he has repeatedly made sweeping statements purporting to speak for everyone. If that isn’t what he means, he’s demonstrated the verbal dexterity needed to clarify.

doctornick

So what was Lightyear’s agenda?
Lightyear’s problem was being a lousy movie and not reflecting what people wanted from a kinda spin off from Toy Story. I don’t think the poor box office had much to do with the minimal gay romance.

However, the presence of the gay kiss and those inside Disney tooting about getting that put back in certainly has added to the general idea of Disney worrying more about DEI initiatives than good storytelling. In isolation nothing of consequence but just a small part of a larger issue.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I ask you again, where did Zegler say she “hated” Snow White?

I don't know why you keep asking me that. I never said she did.

Well, you did post this article...

Whoever Disney had managing Halle Bailey's excellent PR for Little Mermaid needs to move over to the Snow White account ASAP. ;)

In which TMZ casts the furor of some Snow White fans as claiming she hates the original Snow White, but she never actually said that.

In fact, TMZ article is surprisingly fair to Zegler in presenting her point of view that she personally finds the original as dated. But Zegler never said she hated it.

Everyone should read that TMZ which has a nice summary of what has gone down, to wit.

1. Zegler had personal issues with the original Snow White mostly due to being frightened by it as a child and finding the story dated culturally. [A position *many* people have.]​
2. Zegler never said she hated it.​
3. Some people are incorrectly (and maybe with malice) are characterizing Zegler's issues as HATING IT!!!!1!!! in a fit of nerdrage.​

Casper Gutman

Lightyear’s problem was being a lousy movie and not reflecting what people wanted from a kinda spin off from Toy Story. I don’t think the poor box office had much to do with the minimal gay romance.

However, the presence of the gay kiss and those inside Disney tooting about getting that put back in certainly has added to the general idea of Disney worrying more about DEI initiatives than good storytelling. In isolation nothing of consequence but just a small part of a larger issue.
The leak from creatives who complained that Disney regularly banned LGBTQ content the creatives wanted to put in films but in this case the company backed down by media scrutiny - doesn’t that demonstrate the exact OPPOSITE of what you claim, that Disney was in fact very reluctant about “DEI” content?

Casper Gutman

In which TMZ casts the furor of some Snow White fans as claiming she hates the original Snow White, but she never actually said that.

In fact, TMZ article is surprisingly fair to Zegler in presenting her point of view that she personally finds the original as dated. But Zegler never said she hated it.

Everyone should read that TMZ which has a nice summary of what has gone down, to wit.

1. Zegler had personal issues with the original Snow White mostly due to being frightened by it as a child and finding the story dated culturally. [A position *many* people have.]​
3. Some people are incorrectly (and maybe with malice) are characterizing Zegler's issues as HATING IT!!!!1!!! in a fit of nerdrage.​
It’s also in quotation marks in the Daily Mail piece, which make it an unambiguous lie.

Californian Elitist

Right. She never claimed to hate the movie and nothing she said suggests she hates it. Always making stuff up and exaggerating to fuel those who agree with them.

Don’t some folks want Disney to fail? If this is a fail, in your mind, why are you offended, irritated, and making stuff up?

LittleBuford

It wouldn't bother me if she did come out as hating it. I'm interested in Zegler's acting, not her personal movie tastes.

Chi84

Premium Member
Kiss the girl was modified because the original was deemed to be too rapey and they wanted to emphasize "Ariel giving affirmative consent to be kissed," I kid you not.

A whole verse was cut from Poor Unfortunate Souls because it was deemed "problematic" or whatever. Despite the fact that, you know, Ursula is evil so of course she's going to say problematic things.

You’ll have your looks, your pretty face
And don’t underestimate the importance of body language, ha!
The men up there don’t like a lot of blabber
They think a girl who gossips is a bore!
Yes on land it’s much preferred for ladies not to say a word
And after all dear, what is idle babble for?
Come on, they’re not all that impressed with conversation
True gentlemen avoid it when they can
But they dote and swoon and fawn
On a lady who’s withdrawn
It’s she who holds her tongue who gets a man
I'll watch Kiss the Girl again. I missed Ariel giving affirmative consent. In my defense, the scene was beautiful and the leads had a great deal of chemistry, so I was probably concentrating on that.

I didn't notice the missing verse from Ursula's song, but reading the lyrics make me think kids these days wouldn't know what the hell she was talking about. And maybe that's a good thing.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
You are not the only audience nor do you speak for the audience as a whole, but throughout this thread you have repeatedly presumed to do so.
You have this weird obsession with individualizing everything. Not once did I mention my own preferences for this film. Honestly, I don't think there's any version of a Snow White live-action remake that would get me excited because 1) I don't like live-action remakes and 2) I don't really like Snow White that much.

I'm not talking about *me*, I'm talking about *audiences*.

I loved Ms. Marvel and Andor. Audiences didn't.

Audiences loved Barbie and Top Gun: Maverick. I didn't.

My personal preferences and tastes don't prevent me from assessing what seems to be commercially viable in the marketplace.

Californian Elitist

It wouldn't bother me if she did come out as hating it. I'm interested in Zegler's acting, not her personal movie tastes.
Exactly. I just recently heard her sing for the first time (I haven’t seen West Side Story yet). She’s a gorgeous vocalist and her voice is perfect for Snow White.

I initially wasn’t going to see this, but now I’m interested and will be watching it for her singing alone.

doctornick

The leak from creatives who complained that Disney regularly banned LGBTQ content the creatives wanted to put in films but in this case the company backed down by media scrutiny - doesn’t that demonstrate the exact OPPOSITE of what you claim, that Disney was in fact very reluctant about “DEI” content?
The leak was someone inside the company saying "yeah, we bullied Disney to putting back in a gay kiss" and being proud of it and wanting to advertise the fact. Which of course set off a firestorm of response from far right media.

The "best" way to go about it was to not say anything at all, just let it be in the movie, and let people discover it once it comes out so it doesn't become a lightening rod issue before hand and dominate conversation.

(To be clear, I think putting that in the movie was totally appropriate and fine. No concerns. It's not really an issue and I doubt it really influenced many ordinary people's view of the film)

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
Exactly. I just recently heard her sing for the first time (I haven’t seen West Side Story yet). She’s a gorgeous vocalist and her voice is perfect for Snow White.

I initially wasn’t going to see this, but now I’m interested and will be watching it for her singing alone.
They cut the songs, mate. They're not girl power-y enough.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom