Live-Action ‘Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs’

LittleBuford

Or - how about this - why not just make a different movie and leave Snow White alone? If you are going to dramatically change the premise and characters, why even bother doing a "remake" at all?
As with any remake, reimagining, or spin-off, the film’s relationship with the original is meant to be taken into account. Whether this invocation works or not is another matter, but people are missing the point when they ask why Disney is bothering to remake the film with so many changes. The Maleficent movies and Cruella tell us why.

mickEblu

Kiss the girl was modified because the original was deemed to be too rapey and they wanted to emphasize "Ariel giving affirmative consent to be kissed," I kid you not.

A whole verse was cut from Poor Unfortunate Souls because it was deemed "problematic" or whatever. Despite the fact that, you know, Ursula is evil so of course she's going to say problematic things.

You’ll have your looks, your pretty face
And don’t underestimate the importance of body language, ha!
The men up there don’t like a lot of blabber
They think a girl who gossips is a bore!
Yes on land it’s much preferred for ladies not to say a word
And after all dear, what is idle babble for?
Come on, they’re not all that impressed with conversation
True gentlemen avoid it when they can
But they dote and swoon and fawn
On a lady who’s withdrawn
It’s she who holds her tongue who gets a man

While I agree and think the change was ridiculous (can’t get myself to see the movie but have read about this change) I don’t think Ursula being evil is why she says some of those lines. Her intent is evil but the dialogue is simply a product of its time and of days where people weren’t so uptight. It is perhaps embellished a bit because she’s an evil/ larger than life character.

Casper Gutman

If Disney is remaking an animated Disney movie into a live action Disney movie, shouldn’t it be the Disney version, and they could even go as far as attempting to have characters that look the same as their previous movie?
No? How many versions of Dracula has Universal produced? The best Disney live-action adaptations were the ones that made the most changes - Maleficent, Cruella, Cinderella. In fact, the complaint USED to be the remakes stuck too close to the original,

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
Lotta folks in this thread feel pretty confident in their ability to define stuff for others - concepts of “femininity” and “romance,” acceptable changes to pre-existing stories, what groups should be allowed onscreen, how other can individuals identify and live their lives. Weird in a thread where yesterday a poster angrily said others don’t have the right to decide whether someone’s culture war outrage is or isn’t valid.

But that’s the trick, right? The outrage, the sense of victimhood - that’s the only “real” thing.
At the end of the day, Disney can make whatever straight, gay, white, black, etc movies they want to make…but most Disney fans prefer they quit changing the originals to try to make money off a forced DEI initiative.

If they want to make changes to those movies, create new characters, new stories, new movies, and see how they do at the box office. Their mission is checking a box for inclusion and diversity and trying to make the money from it by using fan favorite Disney movie titles

Casper Gutman

Yeah god forbid Disney do any homogenizing and sanitizing when they produce their movies FOR CHILDREN.

My 8 year old and I have been reading the Robert Fagles translation of The Odyssey at bedtime. But I skip the parts about, you know, rape and incest and stuff BECAUSE SHE'S EIGHT.
That’s the point. The complaints about the changes to the source material were dumb THEN and they’re dumb NOW.

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
This is the part I don't know. I'm not sure if it's a "my way or the highway" attitude, or if it's specifically working to change previous versions of characters. For example, if Little Mermaid was a story about a sister (or another mermaid not name Ariel) and a different title, does it have the same hatred? If this movie goes by a different character name (or even just different title), is it scrutinized like it is? I don't think there's a true answer to this unless Disney decides to change how they are doing remakes and we see how those do, but it's something I keep wondering.
I wish they had done that (a story about Ariel’s sister with a different storyline etc) but instead they want to use old popular movie titles to make money off of it and of course limit any creative needs for new stories which I guess they lack now

doctornick

Never said it accounts for a small group… there is a lot of people following a certain group of loud individuals messages rather than thinking for themselves..
Just to be clear though, that is a statement that is very true about people on both ends of the political spectrum.

Casper Gutman

This is the part I don't know. I'm not sure if it's a "my way or the highway" attitude, or if it's specifically working to change previous versions of characters. For example, if Little Mermaid was a story about a sister (or another mermaid not name Ariel) and a different title, does it have the same hatred? If this movie goes by a different character name (or even just different title), is it scrutinized like it is? I don't think there's a true answer to this unless Disney decides to change how they are doing remakes and we see how those do, but it's something I keep wondering.
You’re making the mistake of thinking these complaints are logic-driven rather than entirely emotional. In the current environment, for instance, changing the Snow White title would be seen as cruelly disrespecting the original.

LittleBuford

Different character, but telling a different story from a different time in that person's life. It's not crazy to think that character was different when she was younger. Now, we don't know for sure something similar isn't the case here, but nothing I've heard makes me think it will be.
It’s a fundamentally different interpretation of the character. The same goes for Jasper and Horace, who are transformed from the brainless goons of the cartoon into Cruella’s close friends.

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
You’re making the mistake of thinking these complaints are logic-driven rather than entirely emotional. In the current environment, for instance, changing the Snow White title would be seen as cruelly disrespecting the original.
You’re also making the mistake of thinking Disney movie decisions are logic-driven rather than entirely emotional.

doctornick

You are not the only audience nor do you speak for the audience as a whole, but throughout this thread you have repeatedly presumed to do so.
I’ve never seen him suggest that he speaks for all fans. Only that he speaks for himself and a certain share of the potential customer base. who are choosing not to be customers because of the issues he has discussed.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom