Live-Action ‘Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs’

Vegas Disney Fan

What?!

You think that’s no agenda?

Quite the opposite: it’s the default agenda.

It’s the unchallenged straight white Christian patriarchal agenda the rest of us have all been subject to forever.

And it’s very weak that those folks who have always been in charge can’t handle making room for anyone else without being shocked (shocked!) offended, outraged, insulted, or otherwise mortified.
While I don’t disagree I think the problem is in the execution rather than being more inclusive.

No one (generally speaking) rejected a black superhero, most of us even paid to see the film, no one (generally speaking) rejected a black princess, most of us like her as much as the other princesses, no one rejected Jungle Cruise (generally speaking) because one of the main characters was gay, it was just a natural part of the story, the problem (IMHO) is they’re changing characters we know and love rather than creating new ones, inclusion through subtraction rather than inclusion through addition.

I don’t know if the world is ready for a gay superhero or a gay princess yet, although I’ve read pretty compelling arguments Elsa was, but I feel pretty confident saying they’ll be much better received if it’s a new character rather than an old one they simply change.

LSLS

This was published back in 2016, but I believe they are indeed the composers for the remake:

That's fine, I'm just not a fan of most of his songs, and it feels like he is the only person that does ANYTHING for Disney at this point (I know it's not true, just saying it feels like it).

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
This one is going to bomb harder than the Little Mermaid. Which needed to get around 750 million dollars to make a profit.

Remember the theaters half of the box office and advertising dollars aren't paid in Monopoly money.
And you just know all of these clips are going to massively resurface again as this movie is released. It’s setup for extreme failure at this point. They would probably save more by recasting and refilming

Tony the Tigger

And you just know all of these clips are going to massively resurface again as this movie is released. It’s setup for extreme failure at this point. They would probably save more by recasting and refilming
I’m not so sure Disney wouldn’t appreciate that excuse if the movie doesn’t do well.

Vegas Disney Fan

That would just swing the backlash to the other side, it’s been politicized, there’s no escaping that now. It’s doomed either way.

Tony the Tigger

While I don’t disagree I think the problem is in the execution rather than being more inclusive.

No one (generally speaking) rejected a black superhero, most of us even paid to see the film, no one (generally speaking) rejected a black princess, most of us like her as much as the other princesses, no one rejected Jungle Cruise (generally speaking) because one of the main characters was gay, it was just a natural part of the story, the problem (IMHO) is they’re changing characters we know and love rather than creating new ones, inclusion through subtraction rather than inclusion through addition.

I don’t know if the world is ready for a gay superhero or a gay princess yet, although I’ve read pretty compelling arguments Elsa was, but I feel pretty confident saying they’ll be much better received if it’s a new character rather than an old one they simply change.
It’s a fair assessment, but it comes from a point of weakness.

Confident people aren’t threatened by such things.

“Oh, Heavens, they’re replacing Ariel!” Does that come from a position of strength or frailty?

Why does it bother some so much and others not at all?

That proves it’s all perspective. TLM isn’t objectively a bad film as some would have us believe. (If it is, then so is the earlier version because they are so similar.)

Some just refused to see it because they fancied themselves insulted. *Weak*

Casper Gutman

I mean, they’re attacking the black princess in the other thread right now. And Jack Whitehall was playing a very longstanding and “acceptable” type of gay role, the panicky comic sidekick.

The LGBTQ characters in Lightyear and Strange World were exactly what you claim to want, new characters in new stories slipped in without making a big deal of it. And they ignited a firestorm.

Demanding minorities only fill new roles in new IPs is a great way to prevent representation in an industry that is almost entirely reliant on established IPs, a great many developed before the civil rights era.

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
It’s a fair assessment, but it comes from a point of weakness.

Confident people aren’t threatened by such things.

“Oh, Heavens, they’re replacing Ariel!” Does that come from a position of strength or frailty?

Why does it bother some so much and others not at all?

That proves it’s all perspective. TLM isn’t objectively a bad film as some would have us believe. (If it is, then so is the earlier version because they are so similar.)

Some just refused to see it because they fancied themselves insulted. *Weak*
It bothers some so much because they shouldn’t change their original characters.

Most aren’t bothered by different looks or lifestyles, it’s when they are forced into movies as already existing popular characters is where most of the issue is with Disney fans.

If they want a non-white princess or prince or even a gay or lesbian one, have at it, but create a new character, story, movie

Casper Gutman

It bothers some so much because they shouldn’t change their original characters.

Most aren’t bothered by different looks or lifestyles, it’s when they are forced into movies as already existing popular characters is where most of the issue is with Disney fans.

If they want a non-white princess or prince or even a gay or lesbian one, have at it, but create a new character, story, movie
So why the massive anger at Lighyear and Strange World?

Unless this is a convenient lie for folks who don’t want to see what’s actually happening.

GhostHost1000

Premium Member

Unless this is a convenient lie for folks who don’t want to see what’s actually happening.
Those movies just sucked.

Some of the anger about Lightyear was more for not casting Tim Allen as the voice like he’s always been and skewing so oddly from the original Toy Story character

Disstevefan1

I liked the Lightyear story. I liked what they did with the time travel and Buzz Lightyear's personal evolution. The ONLY thing I did not like was trying to tie this story to Andy, It had nothing to do with Andy. This story could have stood alone.

The ONLY thing that bothered me in strange world, was the messaging that we must save the planet even if it means giving up our fuel source and live in the dark.

Last edited:

wtyy21

This one is going to bomb harder than the Little Mermaid. Which needed to get around 750 million dollars to make a profit.

Remember the theaters half of the box office and advertising dollars aren't paid in Monopoly money.
Snow White hasn't release yet until next year, but would be interesting to see how the film would performed at domestic and overseas box office, giving it's backlash regarding casting and the plot of the live-action film. TLM performance was terribly underwhelmed overseas due to trolling and negative reaction overseas regarding casting of the film while performed more better in the US/Canada, so we expected Snow White box office at least performed like how TLM was today. The budget of Snow White was reportedly lower than TLM ($140M-160M).

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom