Live-Action ‘Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs’

Vegas Disney Fan

BINGO

I would welcome more Disney characters, stories, and movies. Quit force changing the original movies to make statements

I’ve been rewatching Once Upon a Time on D+ and it’s absolutely amazing what they did with familiar characters by placing them in a new environment.

Not once have I felt they’ve done a disservice to the originals, despite drastically changing their stories.

It’s amazing what you can get away with when you’re creative rather than just changing the original story in a few controversial ways and slapping a new badge on it.

Chi84

Premium Member
Because if there’s a different Disney version of Snow White, it shouldn’t be called Snow White? 🤷🏼‍♂️

They can do whatever they want, but just like TLM, they don’t need to force change something from the past, create/make new characters, stories, and movies, but they won’t
Do you think the change in TLM was forced? It seemed to be accounted for and entirely natural in the context of the movie.

Have you seen the movie? There’s almost nothing different from the original except some added material and who ultimately killed Ursula (which I didn’t think was better than the original but wasn’t bothered by either).

There certainly weren’t enough changes to justify a new name for the movie unless you’re focused solely on race, which I’m told hasn’t been an issue for many years.

Why do you think TLM was force changed from the past?

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
Do you think the change in TLM was forced? It seemed to be accounted for and entirely natural in the context of the movie.

Have you seen the movie? There’s almost nothing different from the original except some added material and who ultimately killed Ursula (which I didn’t think was better than the original but wasn’t bothered by either).

There certainly weren’t enough changes to justify a new name for the movie unless you’re focused solely on race, which I’m told hasn’t been an issue for many years.

Why do you think TLM was force changed from the past?
The lyrical changes to Poor Unfortunate Souls and Kiss the Girl (and the direction of Kiss the Girl in general) were unnecessary and ridiculous.

DKampy

BL used to account for about 30% of our beer sales, it now accounts for about 10%, this isn’t a small reduction attributed to one group. I don’t need to poll people to know, it would be impossible for it to fall so sharply it it was limited to one group.
Never said it accounts for a small group… there is a lot of people following a certain group of loud individuals messages rather than thinking for themselves..

LSLS

Did it bother you that they called Cruella by that name when it was a totally different version of the character?

Different character, but telling a different story from a different time in that person's life. It's not crazy to think that character was different when she was younger. Now, we don't know for sure something similar isn't the case here, but nothing I've heard makes me think it will be.

Casper Gutman

The idea that The Disney Version is the definitive, untouchable, authoritative version is hysterical given once widespread condemnation of the way Disney homogenized and sanitized pre-existing stories.

If Disney makes a live action Hunchback and makes Frollo a priest, will there be outrage? (Yes, yes there will, for multiple reasons).

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
The idea that The Disney Version is the definitive, untouchable, authoritative version is hysterical given once widespread condemnation of the way Disney homogenized and sanitized pre-existing stories.

If Disney makes a live action Hunchback and makes Frollo a priest, will there be outrage? (Yes, yes there will, for multiple reasons).
If Disney is remaking an animated Disney movie into a live action Disney movie, shouldn’t it be the Disney version, and they could even go as far as attempting to have characters that look the same as their previous movie?

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
Good lord you have a good eye (or ear). I totally missed them. What were the changes?
Kiss the girl was modified because the original was deemed to be too rapey and they wanted to emphasize "Ariel giving affirmative consent to be kissed," I kid you not.

A whole verse was cut from Poor Unfortunate Souls because it was deemed "problematic" or whatever. Despite the fact that, you know, Ursula is evil so of course she's going to say problematic things.

You’ll have your looks, your pretty face
And don’t underestimate the importance of body language, ha!
The men up there don’t like a lot of blabber
They think a girl who gossips is a bore!
Yes on land it’s much preferred for ladies not to say a word
And after all dear, what is idle babble for?
Come on, they’re not all that impressed with conversation
True gentlemen avoid it when they can
But they dote and swoon and fawn
On a lady who’s withdrawn
It’s she who holds her tongue who gets a man

Casper Gutman

Lotta folks in this thread feel pretty confident in their ability to define stuff for others - concepts of “femininity” and “romance,” acceptable changes to pre-existing stories, what groups should be allowed onscreen, how other can individuals identify and live their lives. Weird in a thread where yesterday a poster angrily said others don’t have the right to decide whether someone’s culture war outrage is or isn’t valid.

But that’s the trick, right? The outrage, the sense of victimhood - that’s the only “real” thing.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
You’ll have your looks, your pretty face
And don’t underestimate the importance of body language, ha!
The men up there don’t like a lot of blabber
They think a girl who gossips is a bore!
Yes on land it’s much preferred for ladies not to say a word
And after all dear, what is idle babble for?
Come on, they’re not all that impressed with conversation
True gentlemen avoid it when they can
But they dote and swoon and fawn
On a lady who’s withdrawn
It’s she who holds her tongue who gets a man
Literally the best part of the song...

LSLS

But it’s possible to have more than one kind of movie, isn’t it? There seems to be a “my way or the highway” type of attitude by everyone these days.

Why not support both versions of Snow White? In my experience, kids don’t feel nearly as threatened by new ideas as adults imagine them to be.

Disney is making a movie that reportedly will differ from the original. What’s the point in all this dislike before it’s even released? I feel sorry for the people who didn’t give The Little Mermaid a chance. They missed out on a really good movie that differed very little from the original.

This is the part I don't know. I'm not sure if it's a "my way or the highway" attitude, or if it's specifically working to change previous versions of characters. For example, if Little Mermaid was a story about a sister (or another mermaid not name Ariel) and a different title, does it have the same hatred? If this movie goes by a different character name (or even just different title), is it scrutinized like it is? I don't think there's a true answer to this unless Disney decides to change how they are doing remakes and we see how those do, but it's something I keep wondering.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom