Live-Action ‘Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs’

Vegas Disney Fan

Multiple things can be true at once.

True: The people digging up old clips and pushing them to go viral are motivated by the rage-clicks that "woke Disney" can generate.

Also true: People who are seeing these clips can have valid negative reactions to them, even if they're just normal people who AREN'T motivated by a crusade against Disney.
The news is a window into what generates clicks, and unfortunately negativity sells.

If I go to my Bing homepage the “top trending” articles consist of: an actor accused of anti-semitism, an actors affair, a new snake being named after Ford, an athlete having surgery, a horrific crime in Spain, a suicide, a shooting, another death from a hiker falling down a cliff… and it goes on and on.

I’m not particularly interested in any of that but because it’s trending news it’s what I see.

LittleBuford

Because she basically says "I'm so happy that we made this movie that's in line with my personal views."

She doesn't just say that 1937 sucks, she says that 1937 sucks so don't worry you guys, this one won't be anything like it.
As I said yesterday, her comments tell us nothing about the remake that we couldn’t have guessed anyway. There’s no reason to think that one has to feel similarly about the 1937 film (I certainly don’t) to find the new version worth watching.

WoundedDreamer

You’re reading the contempt into those comments, assisted by the framing and narrative of the culture war media outlets.

I am very aware of Snow White’s importance. I also love it. Neither of those things excepts it in any way, shape, or form from criticism.
Agreed, mature discussions on Snow White's virtues and shortcomings are appropriate to have. But calling it "creepy" and one of the key characters a "stalker" is not that. That's flippant and contemptuous. Someone who is making millions off of this project should have the decency to respect both content creators and her audience. When she's attending press events she is a representative of The Walt Disney Company. She is not saying things off the cuff. She has been briefed and prepared for this event by PR teams. This is not Ziegler's first media interview. That's what makes these comments all the more remarkable.

Last edited by a moderator:

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
The deepest, most profound fear, the fear driving all of this… what if today’s “little girls” do want this Snow White?
They don't. They don't want this Snow White, or Strange World, or Turning Red, or Lightyear.

They want Super Mario and Princess Peach.

Your theory might be valid except for the fact that *everything Disney makes is flopping left and right.*

Last edited:

doctornick

I’m sorry you feel that way. As a fellow lifelong Disney fan, I do not share your perception at all.

And it is absolutely awesome if you feel this way. And many others feel the same. That's great (honestly).

But the "problem" is that there are many Disney fans who agree with the sentiment I posted. And these are absolutely normal, run of the mill middle ground customers. And enough of them are being turned off by Disney that is is becoming very evident in the box office (and attendance in the parks, etc). If TWDC wants to actually change this sentiment and "bring people back to the fold" as it were, they need to at least understand and accept the sentiment that many people have rather than dismiss and vilify it.

Vegas Disney Fan

They don't. They don't want this Snow White, or Strange World, or Turning Red, or Lightyear.

They want Super Mario and Princess Peach.
This is only true for those of us who believe box office numbers are a direct result of the movie put on the screen.

The people who’ve come up with dozens of reasons to explain away the numbers will never accept it though.

For them it’s not the movies fault, it’s the audiences.

Chi84

Premium Member
100%

and what’s different about those movies…no agenda
But it’s possible to have more than one kind of movie, isn’t it? There seems to be a “my way or the highway” type of attitude by everyone these days.

Why not support both versions of Snow White? In my experience, kids don’t feel nearly as threatened by new ideas as adults imagine them to be.

Disney is making a movie that reportedly will differ from the original. What’s the point in all this dislike before it’s even released? I feel sorry for the people who didn’t give The Little Mermaid a chance. They missed out on a really good movie that differed very little from the original.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
The original queen also had nothing to worry about in the looks department in my opinion.
captain-barbossa.gif

LittleBuford

And enough of them are being turned off by Disney that is is becoming very evident in the box office (and attendance in the parks, etc).
That they are being turned off by Disney (in the way that you mean) is merely a supposition. Other theme parks and movie studios have also seen drops in attendance.

At any rate, I hope you can find joy in Disney again one day.

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
But it’s possible to have more than one kind of movie, isn’t it? There seems to be a “my way or the highway” type of attitude by everyone these days.

Why not support both versions of Snow White? In my experience, kids don’t feel nearly as threatened by new ideas as adults imagine them to be.

Disney is making a movie that reportedly will differ from the original. What’s the point in all this dislike before it’s even released? I feel sorry for the people who didn’t give The Little Mermaid a chance. They missed out on a really good movie that differed very little from the original.
Because if there’s a different Disney version of Snow White, it shouldn’t be called Snow White? 🤷🏼‍♂️

They can do whatever they want, but just like TLM, they don’t need to force change something from the past…why not create/make new characters, stories, and movies? Are they not able to anymore or is this all about money and agendas from the folks in Cali

doctornick

Or - how about this - why not just make a different movie and leave Snow White alone? If you are going to dramatically change the premise and characters, why even bother doing a "remake" at all?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom