Live-Action ‘Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs’

Dranth

Didn't consider the consequences of her words it seems...or did, and didn't care, which is maybe a bit more troubling...
Likely true but what did she say that she should have paused and thought about? The particular quote in question was about how some of the aspects of the movie made her feel personally. She wasn't telling anyone else how to feel. She wasn't commenting on the quality of the person who did like it. Unless I missed something, all of that is people making up what they want to hear so they can be angry.

Even if she did say something that people had a legit reason to get upset over, she is 22 and let's all be honest here for a moment, how smart were any of us in our early 20s? Most I know, including myself, were down right dumb and likely have all said some pretty ridiculous things. All she did was comment on a 1930s era movie and how she personally felt about it.

Doesn't seem that egregious when you (general you, not you specifically) step back and look at it without coming in predisposed to be offended.

Vegas Disney Fan

It’s not surprising to me that fans would react badly to her words, in that way that fans typically do when something they like is (seemingly) criticised. It’s the sheer strength of the reaction—the extreme significance that people are attaching to her opinion—that seems unusual and, frankly, weird to me.
I think this is a case of the sum being greater than the parts.

On its own her stalker Prince statement likely gets little attention, on its own her statement about not liking the movie likely gets little attention, on its own the photo likely gets little attention… combine them all together and suddenly it’s a story worthy of attention.

Last edited by a moderator:

LittleBuford

L

On its own her stalker Prince statement likely gets little attention, on its own her statement about not liking the movie likely gets little attention, on its own the photo likely gets little attention… combine them all together and suddenly it’s a story worthy of attention.
Doesn’t it concern you, however, that the confluence you’re describing didn’t come about spontaneously but because certain ideologically driven individuals dredged up old interviews with the sole intention of sparking such a controversy? What’s happening just isn’t normal.

doctornick

Yeah, I think this is really it, just a combination of things not really that anything Zegler said in isolation being that big of a deal. And honestly, she is taking the brunt of criticism that has more to do with the direction Disney is going with their movies than just Snow White or her comment alone. It's just more kindling on the burning fire.

Ultimately, I think the problem is what @CaptainAmerica has already pointed out:

You're describing a symptom, not the disease itself.

I don't care what Rachel Zegler says or thinks, HOWEVER:

I do care if the movie sucks, and the way Rachel Zegler is describing the creative process behind this movie is evidence that it will suck.

Ultimately, her comments about the film suggest the film will be likely be another in a line where Disney disrespects their own history, insults their fan base for their tastes, and places messaging about storytelling. Now, I'm certainly not sure this will end up being the case and until the final product is released we the public won't know but there's clear reasons for being concerned at this time.

But when the film likely underperforms Disney will be quick to blame the public that isn't interested in their products rather than look within as to what they are doing wrong.

Dranth

Doesn’t it concern you, however, that the confluence you’re describing didn’t come about spontaneously but because certain ideologically driven individuals dredged up old interviews with the sole intention of sparking such a controversy? What’s happening just isn’t normal.
This. No one cared at the time it happened, it wasn't until later when some decided it was time to be angry that this was manufactured into a thing.

Vegas Disney Fan

It didn’t use to be normal but I think it’s becoming the new normal, there’s been several stories over the last few years that started as a whisper, someone adds a couple old texts, someone else adds some personal context, someone else adds some old posts, and suddenly it’s a firestorm, and sometimes even inspiring worldwide movements.

With everything recorded now (whether audio, video, or print) it’s pretty easy to create a narrative if you try hard enough, and with news depending on eye grabbing headlines it’s becoming more common everyday.

In some ways that’s good, in other ways it’s bad, it’s much harder to hide bad behavior now but it’s also much easier to create a false narrative.

WoundedDreamer

How dare they call it “Pinnochio” when he doesn’t even smash Jimminy to death in the first scene? How dare they call it “Cinderella” when the sisters don’t dance themselves to death in red hot shoes?

Say, why don’t the offended posters post Zegler’s EXACT WORDS that upset them so we can all see what specifically is so unacceptable?

"The original cartoon came out in 1937, and very evidently so. There's a big focus on her love story with a guy who literally stalks her. Weird! Weird! So, we didn't do that this time."

It's obviously an insult to the original film. This adaption is not a film created by people who are treasuring the original. Backlash against cynical exploitation of a classic film is to be expected. You can disagree with the political motives of certain critics while acknowledging this is simply the most odious corporate exploitation. No moral dilemma required.

Casper Gutman

"The original cartoon came out in 1937, and very evidently so. There's a big focus on her love story with a guy who literally stalks her. Weird! Weird! So, we didn't do that this time."

It's obviously an insult to the original film. This adaption is not a film created by people who are treasuring the original. Backlash against cynical exploitation of a classic film is to be expected. You can disagree with the political motives of certain critics while acknowledging this is simply the most odious corporate exploitation. No moral dilemma required.
. It is possible to both love the original films and acknowledge cultural anachronisms, even troubling ones. The Prince meets Snow White ONCE and then shows up to kiss her teen corpse. By modern standards, even modern fairy tale standards, that’s creepy.

I and most everyone else here has an attitude towards Disneyland in Walt’s time that borders on the reverential. At the same time, we can acknowledge and discuss, for instance, the many deeply problematic elements in the early park.

Was the original film an insult to the fairy tale, which it heavily altered?

WoundedDreamer

I’m sorry, but this is absurd. First, the comment is lighthearted - it is not in earnest. It is possible to both love the original films and acknowledge cultural anachronisms, even troubling ones. The Prince meets Snow White ONCE and then shows up to kiss her teen corpse. By modern standards, even modern fairy tale standards, that’s creepy.

I and most everyone else here has an attitude towards Disneyland in Walt’s time that borders on the reverential. At the same time, we can acknowledge and discuss, for instance, the many deeply problematic racial elements in the early park.

Was the original film an insult to the fairy tale, which it heavily altered?
Maybe this is not a topic to be flippant about. This film transformed Walt Disney Productions from a small cartoon maker into world-class filmmaker. Bob Iger would not be a billionaire if Snow White had not succeeded. This company is built on the legacy of this film. Every animated film owes Snow White for its success. This is not something that should be trivialized. People love this film. Audiences have accepted changes to films like Beauty and the Beast that adapted the film to modern sensibilities. What audiences and fans will not accept is outright contempt for the original. That contempt oozes out of everything that has emerged from her.

Adjustments are fine, condescension is not.

LittleBuford

Also true: People who are seeing these clips can have valid negative reactions to them, even if they're just normal people who AREN'T motivated by a crusade against Disney.
As I said, it’s not weird to me that fans dislike what they perceive as criticism. But there is something quite novel about the level of anger that people are expressing.

doctornick

As I said, it’s not weird to me that fans dislike what they perceive as criticism. But there is something quite novel about the level of anger that people are expressing.

Because it's not just about Snow White. It's a build up over the past few years where Disney has constantly insulted/rejected the very things that caused people to love them to begin with. For example, I remain upset that I wasted my time watching hours of National Treasure: Edge of History that basically took a massive dump on the National Treasure franchise that I greatly enjoy. It wasn't that it was just different or not as good, it actively indicated that people who liked National Treasure were misguided and antiquated.

Casper Gutman

Because she basically says "I'm so happy that we made this movie that's in line with my personal views."

She doesn't just say that 1937 sucks, she says that 1937 sucks so don't worry you guys, this one won't be anything like it.
Where did she say the 1937 version “sucked?”

PS: The Prince is almost entirely extraneous to the 1937 version and really could be cut without losing much.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom