Live-Action ‘Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs’

TP2000

It’s not a question of giving her a pass, but of keeping things in perspective. Some of you are holding her to a higher standard than you did the former president! She’s a young person who made some (in my view) simplistic comments about an old film; it really isn’t a big deal in the whole scheme of things.

Your issue seems to be mainly with the media, who have been making this a story for the past week or so. Stories below are just from the past 12 hours, so ripped from the day's headlines literally.

I can't think of another example like this, can you? Where the lead actor in a big Hollywood movie goes on PR interviews and trashes the beloved source material that built the studio she is currently working for?

In my opinion, she has done a bad job of PR for her upcoming movie. If these were her Talking Points the studio vetted for her, the studio is to blame. If these are really her honest opinions on the original 1937 movie and how she feels she will make it better, then that's a shame. But I still think the worst case scenario is that Disney actually approved these Talking Points for her for planned interviews.

Or at the very least, after Miss Zegler made unflattering, ungracious, and off-script comments about the original movie during heavily managed press interviews, Disney should have asked the various media outfits to strike those comments from the record.

Last edited:

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Your issue seems to be mainly with the media, who have been making this a story for the past week or so. Stories below are just from the past 12 hours, so ripped from the day's headlines literally.

I can't think of another example like this, can you? Where the lead actor in a big Hollywood movie goes on PR interviews and trashes the beloved source material that built the studio she is currently working for?

In my opinion, she has done a bad job of PR for her upcoming movie. If these were her Talking Points the studio vetted for her, the studio is to blame. If these are really her honest opinions on the original 1937 movie and how she feels she will make it better, then that's a shame. But I still think the worst case scenario is that Disney actually approved these Talking Points for her for planned interviews. Or at the very least, asked the various media outfits to strike those comments from the record.

Fox News picked it up too. But good luck posting that here. 😂

TP2000

Here's a hint: the reason Vellani and Larson and Ziegler and Bailey are noise machine targets is because the current moral panic is spurred largely by the fact that young people, and particularly young women, are not voting "properly" and that isn't changing as they get older.

I think you are reading way too much into some of these comic book characters and movie stars.

Disney's movies this year have not earned a profit, except for Guardians 3. Disney needs a hit desperately, and in 6 months they are releasing this big budget remake of Snow White & The Seven Dwarves that built their studio and created an entirely new industry.

So far, the PR campaign they've got going for that big budget remake of Snow White has been really, really bad.

Who is in charge of the Snow White PR project? And what can they do to fix it and relaunch a campaign for it soon after Christmas?

Casper Gutman

Fox News picked it up too. But good luck posting that here. 😂
Yes, there is a huge, efficient, well-funded culture war noise machine. It creates "stories" and then funnels them through outlets at all levels, from the net to print to TV to leading politicians, and it all gets vomited out here. We've seen that just recently with a stupid youtube video that showed up here at every step of the way through the digestive tract. It's why we're all talking about a movie that hasn't even started it's PR campaign.

TP2000

It's why we're all talking about a movie that hasn't even started it's PR campaign.

If Miss Zegler had followed Miss Bailey's lead, there would be nothing to worry about. Or even talk about now, as you correctly stated.

This is all the fault of Miss Zegler, who on multiple occasions over the course of a year made public statements to the media about Snow White that come across as elitist, smug, and rather snotty. Then she layered that with an apparent disdain for the source material, and a poor understanding of its importance to the Walt Disney Company and the entire movie industry.

She bears a great deal of the responsibility for her own words and statements. She is not being managed effectively, and that's Disney's fault for letting her say some of this stuff to an Entertainment Tonight reporter. But ultimately, she needs to take responsibility for her own words.

And yes, whatever PR campaign that Disney comes up with for Snow White sometime after Christmas will need to be rethought and gone over very carefully. If anything, that's the silver lining to this PR headache that Rachel Zegler created; this didn't happen two weeks before her movie came out, it happened six months before and there's still plenty of time for triage and clean up and relaunch.

The most important thing now to help the PR launch this winter, is to get Rachel Zegler to stop talking about Snow White.

Casper Gutman

In my opinion, she has done a bad job of PR for her upcoming movie. If these were her Talking Points the studio vetted for her, the studio is to blame. If these are really her honest opinions on the original 1937 movie and how she feels she will make it better, then that's a shame. But I still think the worst case scenario is that Disney actually approved these Talking Points for her for planned interviews.

Or at the very least, after Miss Zegler made unflattering, ungracious, and off-script comments about the original movie during heavily managed press interviews, Disney should have asked the various media outfits to strike those comments from the record.

Robert Pattinson trashed Twilight in very direct terms while those films were making him a star. Harrison Ford frequently criticized Han Solo. We all know that Mark Hamill wasn't a fan of Luke Skywalker's treatment in TLJ. Jeremy Irons insulted Batman V Superman right after its premiere. George Clooney repeatedly badmouthed Batman and Robin as soon as it came out. Jim Carrey attacked Kick- 2 before it opened in the wake of Sandy Hook. Brad Pitt went after The Devil's Own soon after it released.

Those are all folks who were MUCH more direct about the film itself. Ziegler has just snarked a bit about the source material.

So where's that quotation from Ziegler saying she "hated" Snow White? The Daily Mail has it in quotation marks, so it must come from somewhere.

TP2000

By the way, the "controversial" comments are from two interviews LAST YEAR. 2022. If more evidence was needed that this is a manufactured story.

That's a great point. The timeline on this PR disaster was dug up only after the photo was released of the Seven Portland Hipsters.

That's when some folks remembered her interviews at D23 Expo last August. Then just as that was going, Miss Zegler made her infamous "18 Hours In A Dress" comment at the SAG-AFTRA media event in New York last week.

It's much like the Bud Light mess. Dylan happened on March 31st, and was a dying story, but the story got blown up all over again a week later when an older interview of the Bud Light executive Alissa Heinerscheid was discovered and was found to be incredibly insulting to many people who had been buying Bud Light in stores (and who are no longer). It was the interview of Ms. Heinerscheid that sealed the fate of Bud Light and sent the story into the stratosphere.

One never knows when an old interview clip will be useful in future media stories. Which is why every media interview needs to be managed and handled very carefully, especially for a big budget project like this Snow White remake.

Casper Gutman

That's a great point. The timeline on this PR disaster was dug up only after the photo was released of the Seven Portland Hipsters.

That's when some folks remembered her interviews at D23 Expo last August. Then just as that was going, Miss Zegler made her infamous "18 Hours In A Dress" comment at the SAG-AFTRA media event in New York last week.

It's much like the Bud Light mess. Dylan happened on March 31st, and was a dying story, but the story got blown up all over again a week later when an older interview of the Bud Light executive Alissa Heinerscheid was discovered and was found to be incredibly insulting to many people who had been buying Bud Light in stores (and who are no longer). It was the interview of Ms. Heinerscheid that sealed the fate of Bud Light and sent the story into the stratosphere.

One never knows when an old interview clip will be useful in future media stories. Which is why every media interview needs to be managed and handled very carefully, especially for a big budget project like this Snow White remake.
"Was discovered." It just happened. Passive tense. The REAL victims here are the poor insulted bigots.

It was dug up because the noise machine, playing on its consumers' hatred for LGBTQ folks, very consciously identified Bud Light as the current hate target after the Dylan video. Internet commentators, youtube vloggers, TV networks, papers - they all snapped to attention to keep the story going because the machine needs to keep the hate fresh. They went looking for anything they could find to keep the story alive and to hurt their designated "enemies" and to make sure the machine's consumers maintained their sense of victimhood.

The same thing is happening to Ziegler.

LittleBuford

Your issue seems to be mainly with the media, who have been making this a story for the past week or so.
Not really. The media, particularly certain outlets prone to such sensationalism, love to make a meal of this sort of thing, so no surprises there. What I find much more striking are some of the reactions here, for the reasons I indicated in my previous post.

Casper Gutman

I just respect the fact that she's only been in two films, which both bombed and have combined to lose a couple of hundred million dollars, and still has that self-confidence. It's impressive!
I mean, she starred in a Spielberg film and has five high profile films ready to come out, including the lead role in a new Hunger Games (and a third Paddington!) Some confidence seems warranted.

Ghost93

I mean, she starred in a Spielberg film and has five high profile films ready to come out, including the lead role in a new Hunger Games (and a third Paddington!) Some confidence seems warranted.
She was also excellent in West Side Story. Seeing that movie made me think she is the perfect Snow White as Snow White and Maria have many similar qualities.

Californian Elitist

She did not “trash” the original source material. Stop with the exaggerations. She said the movie scared her when she was a kid (it scared me, too), she called Charming a “stalker” (big whoop), and said the movie was made decades ago and is outdated in terms of female leadership roles, which it is. She did not trash the film. In fact, she said once she realized she was auditioning for the role, she said she would “elbow everyone out of the way to play the part.”

TP2000

"Was discovered." It just happened. Passive tense. The REAL victims here are the poor insulted bigots.

It was dug up because the noise machine, playing on its consumers' hatred for LGBTQ folks, very consciously identified Bud Light as the current hate target after the Dylan video. Internet commentators, youtube vloggers, TV networks, papers - they all snapped to attention to keep the story going because the machine needs to keep the hate fresh. They went looking for anything they could find to keep the story alive and to hurt their designated "enemies" and to make sure the machine's consumers maintained their sense of victimhood.

Ooohhhkay. So in this version of events, Bud Light and Alissa Heinerscheid and Dylan Mulvaney and Anheuser-Busch InBev are the victims.

Got it. But what are you going to do to fix it? Alissa Heinerscheid went on record as being a non-fan of her customers, much like Rachel Zegler did for anyone who is a fan of Walt Disney's Snow White & The Seven Dwarves.

The story for Bud Light is disastrous. How do you prevent the same type of result for the new live action Snow White's Leadership Adventure In DEI Partnership With Seven Magical Creatures?

Pretend you are a big Hollywood media company with an established customer base and a consumer brand name that used to be gold. Do you continue to insult your traditional customer base with your 7th or 8th money losing tentpole movie in a row in the hopes they'll finally relent, or do you change course and try to make movies your traditional customer base would like?

Bud Light and Alissa Heinerscheid already know the answer to that.

The same thing is happening to Ziegler.

Miss Zegler is smart enough to speak for herself. And her own words and statements, across a year's time and at several different venues and arranged media formats, have been speaking loud and clear. If her words were taken out of context or twisted out of meaning, this would be the time for her to come forward and restate her opinions and thoughts to set the record straight.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom