Live-Action ‘Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs’

Casper Gutman

In her defense, most princes do act a little sketchy. But SW’s Prince is fine. If any prince is stalkish and creepy it’s Prince Philip.
The guy who made out with a teenage corpse? Yeah, all on the up and up.

I love the outrage at someone saying a remake of a nearly 90-year-old film is going to make changes in light of modern social and cultural beliefs. As if Disney didn’t do EXACTLY the same thing when adapting old fairy tales.

Ghost93

The guy who made out with a teenage corpse? Yeah, all on the up and up.

I love the outrage at someone saying a remake of a nearly 90-year-old film is going to make changes in light of modern social and cultural beliefs. As if Disney didn’t do EXACTLY the same thing when adapting old fairy tales.
He didn't make out with a corpse. He gave a very tender "goodbye" kiss to a loved one he believed had died. I have seen people do the same at funerals before.

I am NOT defending the bullying of Rachel Zegler. This whole situation has blown way out of proportion and I think she is perfectly cast. But I will defend the original 1937 classic from these absurd criticisms.

Anyway, I think there should definitely be some updates to the remake. They can give Snow White more agency and flesh out her dreams and ambitions beyond wanting to find love. However, I don't think they should eliminate her wanting to find romance entirely. There is nothing wrong with wanting to find romance. It shouldn't be your ONLY goal in life, and it shouldn't be what defines you, but daydreaming about love isn't regressive. Most people have done it!

DisneyHead123

And that’s why folks are mad and claiming Zegler is crapping on Disney’s legacy?

Prince Charming’s behavior is weird, though.
I think she angered some of the Disney fan base, probably some on the right, but also just some women in general, hence the huge pushback. Blockbuster romances like Twilight and 50 Shades of Grey featured way more stalkerish behavior than poor historically dated Prince Florian. Didn’t Edward routinely break into Bella’s room to watch her sleep or something along those lines? I think the 50 Shades guy just literally stalks the chick around town. Clearly a sizable number of romance fans go for that type of thing.

LittleBuford

It’s really not as big a deal (or any deal) as some of you are making it to be. The level of anger/annoyance/outrage towards this woman simply because she gave a typical critique of a movie and said it scared her as a child, and is now starring in a new take of the same movie (as if that hasn’t been done before) is unwarranted. I thought she said something like the Walt Disney Company should burn in **** and never be revived, based on the reactions. She called Prince Charming a “stalker” and admitted that this adaptation would be different from its predecessor. And she said the original cartoon scared her…

Okay.
Those looking to be outraged are always going to find something to fuel their anger. In Halle Bailey's case (since she didn't say anything negative in her interviews), it was her supposedly raunchy way of dressing that some of the posters here took issue with. Had Rachel Zegler said nothing but nice things about the original movie, people would still find something to criticise her for.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Snow White changed the way people viewed animation. It set a new precedent for storytelling and the cultural impact was massive.
It essentially created a new art form.
Walt is associated with that film more than any other. He was involved in it more than any other film his studio released.
It allowed for Disney to build a new studio, grow, experiment, and continue to release other animated features. Without it, no Disney.
The American Film Institue included it on its list of top 100 movies of all time due to its continuous impact over the decades.

So, is it so hard to understand when the lead actress of the remake of this classic takes public shots of it during an interview, it will upset some people?
Is it too much of an ask for her not to make comments that show a complete disregard of the original and those who came before her, and the time period in which it was released (great depression)?
There is a time and place for dissecting films, if you want to call what she did that. She picked the wrong time and place.
Just...have some grace...

Last edited:

LittleBuford

However, I don't think they should eliminate her wanting to find romance entirely. There is nothing wrong with wanting to find romance. It shouldn't be your ONLY goal in life, and it shouldn't be what defines you, but daydreaming about love isn't regressive. Most people have done it!
My understanding is that she still has a love interest, though he's no longer the prince.

DisneyHead123

There is a time and place for dissecting films, if you want to call what she did that. She picked the wrong time and place.
I think the zeitgeist shifted out from under her feet extremely fast. Especially as Hollywood is going to be a bit more insulated than middle America so less aware of those changes. Just a few years ago those comments would have been widely praised.

Californian Elitist

Those looking to be outraged are always going to find something to fuel their anger. In Halle Bailey's case (since she didn't say anything negative in her interviews), it was her supposedly raunchy way of dressing that some of the posters here took issue with. Had Rachel Zegler said nothing but nice things about the original movie, people would still find something to criticise her for.
The criticism was towards her race in the beginning. Now it’s because she said the movie will be different and made some slight criticisms towards the original.

Californian Elitist

I think she angered some of the Disney fan base, probably some on the right, but also just some women in general, hence the huge pushback. Blockbuster romances like Twilight and 50 Shades of Grey featured way more stalkerish behavior than poor historically dated Prince Florian. Didn’t Edward routinely break into Bella’s room to watch her sleep or something along those lines? I think the 50 Shades guy just literally stalks the chick around town. Clearly a sizable number of romance fans go for that type of thing.
That’s the thing. Why get angry over a comment like that? If people disagree that he’s a stalker, so be it. There can be lighthearted debate over that. Why are we getting angry over this? And I’m saying this as someone who was actually recently stalked by a man a few weeks ago.

Casper Gutman

Snow White changed the way people viewed animation. It set a new precedent for storytelling and the cultural impact was massive.
It essentially created a new art form.
Walt is associated with that film more than any other. He was involved in it more than any other film his studio released.
It allowed for Disney to build a new studio, grow, experiment, and continue to release other animated features. Without it, no Disney.
The American Film Institue included it on its list of top 100 movies of all time due to its continuous impact over the decades.

So, is it so hard to understand when the lead actress of the remake of this classic takes public shots of it during an interview, it will upset some people?
Is it too much of an ask for her not to make comments that show a complete disregard of the original and those who came before her, and the time period in which it was released (great depression)?
This is a post by someone who wants to be insulted.

Amazingly, I can love Snow White and the old Disney films (and the Disney parks of Walt’s eras) while STILL making lighthearted fun (or even leveling more serious critiques) at certain woefully outdated elements.

And the neat thing is, THE ORIGINAL FILMS WILL STILL EXIST.

LittleBuford

The criticism was towards her race in the beginning. Now it’s because she said the movie will be different and made some slight criticisms towards the original.
Her criticisms seem more than just slight to me, and I certainly understand why many Disney fans would disagree with her. What I don't quite get is the virulence of the reaction and the importance that people are ascribing to her words.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom