Live-Action ‘Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs’

BuddyThomas

Do we even know if there is a mirror?
There is a mirror in Wonderland Wives. A very nasty mirror.

doctornick

Even that twist leaves a huge plot hole because the Evil queen would have to be the second most “just” person for it to create such a grudge against Snow. If she was the least fair person (being evil) she’d have no reason to single out Snow White.

If the evil queen is the second most just person in the land they have bigger issues than an Evil Queen.
I am guessing the Queen will ask different questions at first but will only ask “who’s the fairest?” once, expecting the answer to be about beauty, and be upset when the answer is Snow. And the audience will (by and large) collectively roll their eyes at how stupid it is when it’s clear that it is about being “most just”.

Tony the Tigger

I am guessing the Queen will ask different questions at first but will only ask “who’s the fairest?” once, expecting the answer to be about beauty, and be upset when the answer is Snow. And the audience will (by and large) collectively roll their eyes at how stupid it is when it’s clear that it is about being “most just”.
Not everyone is as cynical and jaded as some in this bunch.

Ghost93

Even in the original, Snow White didn’t want to be the prettiest girl; it was her stepmother who was obsessed with appearance. Snow White herself says nothing whatsoever on the topic of beauty.
Exactly. It was a one-sided feud. All Snow White was preoccupied with was finding love. That might be a dated sentiment, although it's somewhat understandable when you considered the abusive environment she was in living with an evil and cruel stepmother.

Vegas Disney Fan

The people who think there is something “wrong” with wanting to be the prettiest girl in the land are the ones who are cynical and jaded.
I hadn’t thought about this but it’s funny they’re changing the use of “fairest” when we live in the social media age when the world is absolutely infatuated with looks and taking photos of themselves.

The evil queen being obsessed with being the prettiest would have fit perfectly with modern times.

dreday3

Exactly. It was a one-sided feud. All Snow White was preoccupied with was finding love. That might be a dated sentiment, although it's somewhat understandable when you considered the abusive environment she was in living with an evil and cruel stepmother.

I don't think it's dated. I don't think it will ever be dated. Now, yes, that being her only reason for existence is dated. 😄 But maybe that's a good reason to not have remade the movie at all. The story/idea of this movie just doesn't sit well with people today.

Searching for love - all kinds - will always be something most people have in common. At least at some point in their lives.

Jedijax719

Would not be surprised (and actually expect it) if this ended up on D+. And if it somehow does make it to theaters, it will be the last remake in a LONG time. I don't think Moana live action will end up being made after all. They really just need to make a Moana animated sequel.

Tha Realest

Would not be surprised (and actually expect it) if this ended up on D+. And if it somehow does make it to theaters, it will be the last remake in a LONG time. I don't think Moana live action will end up being made after all. They really just need to make a Moana animated sequel.
I suspect they’re already pausing and recalibrating live action remakes. And Moana one may be farther along to stop it. And, in a way, they’d be foolish to not try and do a Frozen one (though May wait a bit until the girls that grew up with the film have kids of their own)

AdventureHasAName

Even in the original, Snow White didn’t want to be the prettiest girl; it was her stepmother who was obsessed with appearance. Snow White herself says nothing whatsoever on the topic of beauty.
He's not referring to the character (Snow White) from the film. He's referring to the little girls who would be watching the film. He's saying a person is jaded if they believe there is something wrong with a little girl (who is watching the film) wanting to be considered the prettiest girl in the land (and idolizing Snow White because she is).

Chi84

Premium Member
He's not referring to the character (Snow White) from the film. He's referring to the little girls who would be watching the film. He's saying a person is jaded if they believe there is something wrong with a little girl (who is watching the film) wanting to be considered the prettiest girl in the land (and idolizing Snow White because she is).
That’s a simplistic goal, isn’t it?

Chi84

Premium Member
For a five year old?
Five year olds will value what we teach them to value. If they see a movie that teaches them physical beauty is paramount, that’s what they’ll strive for and be disappointed if they don’t reach it.

Is that what you want for a five year old who does not have society’s conventional ideal of beauty?

Last edited:

Vegas Disney Fan

Five year olds will value what we teach them to value. If they see a movie that teaches them physical beauty is paramount, that’s what they’ll strive for and be disappointed if they don’t reach it.
I’ll admit it’s been a few years since I’ve watched the original Snow White but is this really what people think this movie is about?

My cliffs notes memory is an evil stepmother queen treats her step daughter horribly, the daughter runs away, she meets a prince, the queen sends a huntsman after her but he decides not to kill her and sends her into hiding, she befriends and moves into a house with 7 dwarfs, teaches them manners, the queen finds her and tricks her to eating a apple that sends her into a comatose state, the queen falls off a cliff fighting the dwarfs, the Prince shemet earlier kisses her and reawakens her, they live happily ever after.

I may be intertwining a bit of the Once TV show and the earlier Huntsman movie into my memory but I’d argue that other than the queen asking the mirror who’s the fairest that beauty has very little to do with the movie and I can’t see many people walking away from it thinking the message is beauty is paramount, I’d argue the message is good beats evil and love conquers all, not just romantic love with the Prince but also the friendship love she has with the dwarfs.

Chi84

Premium Member
I’ll admit it’s been a few years since I’ve watched the original Snow White but is this really what people think this movie is about?

My cliffs notes memory is an evil stepmother queen treats her step daughter horribly, the daughter runs away, she meets a prince, the queen sends a huntsman after her but he decides not to kill her and sends her into hiding, she befriends and moves into a house with 7 dwarfs, teaches them manners, the queen finds her and tricks her to eating a apple that sends her into a comatose state, the queen falls off a cliff fighting the dwarfs, the Prince shemet earlier kisses her and reawakens her, they live happily ever after.

I may be intertwining a bit of the Once TV show and the earlier Huntsman movie into my memory but I’d argue that other than the queen asking the mirror who’s the fairest that beauty has very little to do with the movie and I can’t see many people walking away from it thinking the message is beauty is paramount, I’d argue the message is good beats evil and love conquers all, not just romantic love with the Prince but also the friendship love she has with the dwarfs.
I agree 100%. I was responding to someone else’s post.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom