Live-Action ‘Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs’

Chi84

Premium Member
It’s a natural comparison though, if a company is going to remake a classic they have to know people are going to compare it to the original, if they can’t make it look at least as good as the original they shouldn’t make it, or they should make it a completely different style.

The original Snow White is an artistic masterpiece, this look comical in comparison.
People complained when they thought the movie was going to be completely different from the original.

According to the conspiracy theorists, Disney freaked out and fired the star, remade the entire movie and added dwarfs at the last minute.

Now the dwarfs don’t look close enough to the original ones, so Disney should have made a completely different movie.

It’s almost as though the objections have nothing to do with the actual movie.

LittleBuford

It’s a natural comparison though, if a company is going to remake a classic they have to know people are going to compare it to the original, if they can’t make it look at least as good as the original they shouldn’t make it, or they should make it a completely different style.

The original Snow White is an artistic masterpiece, this look comical in comparison.
I don’t think anyone should realistically expect any remake to match its animated counterpart in quality. That hasn’t happened yet and isn’t likely to happen ever. The new dwarfs didn’t need to be anywhere near as good as the originals in order to pass muster.

Last edited:

LittleBuford

People complained when they thought the movie was going to be completely different from the original.

According to the conspiracy theorists, Disney freaked out and fired the star, remade the entire movie and added dwarfs at the last minute.

Now the dwarfs don’t look close enough to the original ones, so Disney should have made a completely different movie.

It’s almost as though the objections have nothing to do with the actual movie.
I’m not a conspiracy theorist, nor was I ever opposed to this movie. My objections are entirely sincere.

Chi84

Premium Member
I actually don’t know that, because you wrote what you did in reply to a poster who, like me, seems entirely sincere in his objections. Perhaps you can clarify by pointing out which of today’s posts you’re alluding to.
I was replying to another poster referencing objections that have been raised by others over the course of this thread. If you don’t get it, that’s okay.

I’m not looking to get into any arguments with you. It’s really not my way.

mickEblu

Yes, there’s definitely something rather uncanny valley going on.

If you re going to go CGI why not make them as close to the originals as possible? They don’t have to be identical but this ain’t it. Had it been live actors than of course one would expect real people to not look exactly like the animated characters. My rule of thought is is that when you are using established source material, whether it’s for a ride or movie, people want to it to resemble what they know and love. Not sure why Hollywood and especially Disney over think this sometimes. And if you re not going to do that, then you have to make sure you are making a bad @$$ movie.

LittleBuford

If you re going to go CGI why not make them as close to the originals as possible? They don’t have to be identical but this ain’t it. Had it been live actors than of course one would expect real people to not look exactly like the animated characters. My rule of thought is is that when you are using established source material, whether it’s for a ride or movie, people want to it to resemble what they know and love. Not sure why Hollywood and especially Disney over think this sometimes. And if you re not going to do that, then you have to make sure you are making a bad @$$ movie.
I don’t agree with you there. The issue isn’t that they don’t look sufficiently close to the originals; the issue is simply that they are not well designed. Those two things are unrelated. We’ve seen plenty of significantly redesigned characters in the other remakes who look fine.

mickEblu

I don’t agree with you there. The issue isn’t that they don’t look sufficiently close to the originals; the issue is simply that they are not well designed. Those two things are unrelated. We’ve seen plenty of significantly redesigned characters in the other remakes who look fine.

I understand that’s your stance. I have two issues with them. That they aren’t designed well and the decision to make them CGI AND still not have them look anything like the dwarves. I think if you re going to animate them, expectations are that they will somewhat look like the originals. If they are designed well however and the movie is good ultimately it probably doesn’t really matter. What you can’t have is a crap movie with uncanny valley animated dwarves.

To your point Lumiere, Cogsworth etc in the live action BatB don’t look like their animated versions but it worked. Then again they re inanimate objects come to life in a live action movie. All things considered they look pretty close. With humanoids though the whole thing gets a bit trickier.

Last edited:

Vegas Disney Fan

Even if the dwarves were completely redone, which is pure speculation, they could have hired different live actors to play the more traditional dwarves rather than giving us poor quality animation, or delayed it longer to properly do the dwarves as Disney quality CGI. We’ve all seen the level of CGI Disney is capable of with the Lion King, the Jungle Book, the Marvel movies, etc… and this isn’t anywhere near that quality.

The scene they released so far looks like an unfinished teaser product and with several months until the release date maybe that’s the case and we’ll all be blown away by the final product, if this is the final product though it’s far below the quality Disney is capable of, and known for.

WorldExplorer

h96irqt058x11~3.jpg

CaptinEO

Even if the dwarves were completely redone, which is pure speculation, they could have hired different live actors to play the more traditional dwarves rather than giving us poor quality animation, or delayed it longer to properly do the dwarves as Disney quality CGI. We’ve all seen the level of CGI Disney is capable of with the Lion King, the Jungle Book, the Marvel movies, etc… and this isn’t anywhere near that quality.

The scene they released so far looks like an unfinished teaser product and with several months until the release date maybe that’s the case and we’ll all be blown away by the final product, if this is the final product though it’s far below the quality Disney is capable of, and known for.
Not speculation at all:

Disney initially denied these as being real then confirmed they were in fact real.

Snow White wrapped filming in July 2022.

This was originally supposed to be out holiday 2023. The poor test screenings and public backlash had them doing reshoots the last 2 years and replacing actors with CGI dwarves. Disney doesn't know what to do with the film.

As for Disney CGI, it is all outsourced (no in house CGI studio besides ILM which primarily does work for other clients (not Disney)). The Marvel and SW shows have been criticized in recent years for bad CGI as Disney is awarding contracts to the lowest bidding studios. This could be unfinished but the Little Mermaid remake also had cheap CGI.

Last edited:

CaptinEO

I never understood why Disney live action remakes end up looking so bland, drab, and boring. Why not use live action as a medium to bring these cartoons to life?

I really admire the old Disney cartoons and its like they continually choose to suck the life and whimsy out of their characters.

1727013216414.jpeg

Ghost93

Musically, I really like the new arrangement of Whistle While You Work and I think Zegler is going to be great as Snow White.

But the CGI Dwarves look TERRIBLE! This is like late 90s/early 2000s level of unconvincing CGI. They look worse than the Polar Express characters! They completely clash with the rest of the film. They should have just hired little people to play the roles!

LittleBuford

Not speculation at all:

Disney initially denied these as being real then confirmed they were in fact real.

Snow White wrapped filming in July 2022.

This was originally supposed to be out holiday 2023. The poor test screenings and public backlash had them doing reshoots the last 2 years and replacing actors with CGI dwarves. Disney doesn't know what to do with the film.
We don’t know if the dwarfs have replaced these characters. Some believe they will still be featured as Jonathan’s crew.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom