Live-Action ‘Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs’

LittleBuford

Just watched the trailer. It looks like a safe remake in the same mould as most of the other live-action versions. I was hoping for something a bit different; perhaps the final product will deliver that, even if the trailer doesn’t suggest it will.

LSLS

So personally, looks awful to me. I've been on record for a while that I hate the straight remakes, and this feels like that is exactly what it is (though the actors said otherwise, so who knows at this point).

But, for those worried about the CGI (which does look really awful), that stuff usually does get cleaned up a lot between trailer and release, so don't read TOO much into it. I do agree with whoever said the hair looks bad on her though. I couldn't figure out what looked so off, and that is absolutely what it was. Guess we will see what happens next year.

Disney Analyst

Honestly, I think the digital dwarfs were a late introduction in response to the criticism of the leaked pictures.

That doesn’t excuse the absurdity we’re reading now, of course.

I’m hearing this was always the plan. The prince (or prince like character) had seven friends, Snow has the seven dwarfs.

Now perhaps they’ve changed the direction of the prince and his friends, based on criticism.

Chi84

Premium Member
So personally, looks awful to me. I've been on record for a while that I hate the straight remakes, and this feels like that is exactly what it is (though the actors said otherwise, so who knows at this point).

But, for those worried about the CGI (which does look really awful), that stuff usually does get cleaned up a lot between trailer and release, so don't read TOO much into it. I do agree with whoever said the hair looks bad on her though. I couldn't figure out what looked so off, and that is absolutely what it was. Guess we will see what happens next year.
It can’t be a straight remake. There is almost nothing to the original film in terms of plot or characters. Not to say the songs and animation weren’t great.

Most of it was the dwarfs washing dishes and Snow White kissing each one of the dwarfs on the head before they left for work.

Any full length movie is going to have to expand significantly in order to keep anyone’s interest, especially modern day audiences.

doctornick

I don’t think the CGI is as bad as Mermaid either. But the dwarves are incredibly uncanny valley. Especially Dopey. Not like Flounder by any means, they do resemble the film counterparts. Or like original Sonic… but I think we are going to still hear a bit on how they are off putting.

I definitely think doing CGI for the dwarfs was the wrong call. Casting actual little people would have been a big step up and, realistically, actually beneficial for the job opportunities for those actors.

doctornick

Remember when everyone thought the 7 ”friends” were a replacement for the 7 dwarfs, but really it’s coming out that they are the princes friends / bandits?

I think it is pretty certain that the 7 bandits were a replacement for the dwarfs but they ditched that idea and used the CGI dwarfs in response to the substantial criticism. We know there was a bunch of reshoots done in the last year.

DKampy

I think it is pretty certain that the 7 bandits were a replacement for the dwarfs but they ditched that idea and used the CGI dwarfs in response to the substantial criticism. We know there was a bunch of reshoots done in the last year.
As @Disney Analyst already mentioned…. I had read somewhere that the 7 Dwarves are not a replacement for the 7 bandits….the bandits are on the prince’s side of the story… time will tell which is correct

doctornick

It can’t be a straight remake. There is almost nothing to the original film in terms of plot or characters. Not to say the songs and animation weren’t great.

Most of it was the dwarfs washing dishes and Snow White kissing each one of the dwarfs on the head before they left for work.

Any full length movie is going to have to expand significantly in order to keep anyone’s interest, especially modern day audiences.

Agreed. The originally remarkable short and very light on actual plot. If you simply did a shot for shot remake in live action, it would come across as very incomplete.

So regardless of any fidelity to the original, they would need to embellish and expand on the story. Which seems to be the case here.

The trailer at least seems to portray a significant loyalty to the original. If indeed it is more a remake with some added scenes, that is the right decision and bodes better for the box office. If the trailer is just misdirection and we are going to see a wildly divergent plot from the original, I don't think the backlash would be kind.

I know that people say they "want to see something different" but the financial benefit to these live action remakes is by reminding people as much as possible about the originals they love.

mickEblu

Or they brought back the dwarves (due to the backlash) and still kept the 7 magical friends from Portland in the movie because Disneys ego is so big that they don't want fans to think they have that kind of power? 7 friends in addition to the seven dwarves sounds ridiculous. I don't believe for a second that was part of the original script.

doctornick

As @Disney Analyst already mentioned…. I had read somewhere that the 7 Dwarves are not a replacement for the 7 bandits….the bandits are on the prince’s side of the story… time will tell which is correct

Correct. In my guess, the bandits originally were just a 7 Dwarfs replacement, then they got backlash and decided to put the "regular" dwarfs in. But they kept the bandits and came up for new roles for those characters (or tweaked whatever their roles already were).

That's my guess based on the responses played out over time.

Tha Realest

You make fun, but there are several actors cast as "Apple Farmers" listed on IMDB, though none shown in that leaked photo.

There's now only one "Apple Farmer" listed, and Klebba is now only listed as a "technical advisor."

Disney Irish

Premium Member
It would also jive with Klebba saying early on - a year before the leaked photo - that he was cast as Grumpy. If you were going to go with magical creatures/bandits replacing the dwarfs but having their names and personalities then it would fit with the leaked photo having one litter person character.

It doesn't make much sense that they'd hire Klebba to be Grumpy, but having that be just to voice a CGI character if we are to presume that the dwarfs were in the movie all along.
Unless the hiring of Klebba, which isn't confirmed to still not be the case, was part of the "consulting the members of the dwarfism community".

LSLS

Definitely an assumption that the dwarfs were a replacement for bandits, but it's strange they would use the exact same number for both too. But I'm not sure I'd get too worked up either way about something we legit have no knowledge about yet.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
There's now only one "Apple Farmer" listed, and Klebba is now only listed as a "technical advisor."
I don't have a screen shot from back then, but the list looks similar to what I remember. Just now the names are filled out rather than just saying "Apple Farmer". But I'll admit I could be misremembering.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Interesting. So, maybe they did just get rid of the "bandits" since they are opting to have more classic dwarfs invoking the original.
Maple is still listed in the cast of characters, and she was in the photo of the "7 Friends/bandits". So they didn't get rid of everyone if they did.

Chi84

Premium Member
Here's what I think happened. When I was growing up, people who looked different were not always portrayed with respect in films. I assume the characters chosen in Snow White were dwarves because they are short and stocky and work fit the job.

It's a different world today, and Disney faced the issue of distinguishing real people with dwarfism from the fictional creatures portrayed in the fairytale.

It's possible that the movie was called simply Snow White in order to avoid concentrating on the word "dwarves." No matter, Peter Dinklage picked up on the story and made a "what the heck" comment about 7 men with dwarfism living in a house together and working in a mine.

Disney came out with a statement saying that their portrayal of the the 7 fantasy creatures would be mindful of the dwarfism community. Disney never said there would be no dwarves, but people saw the title and made assumptions.

Some unauthorized photo was released that showed 7 people (or maybe 8 and one looked like Snow White?) and people assumed these were the fantasy or magical creatures mentioned by Disney and they would be replacing the dwarves. This is despite the fact that previous interviews with people from the film referenced dwarves, and any feature-length film would presumably contain more in the way of plot/characters than the original.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom