Live-Action ‘Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs’

erasure fan1

Are you all planning to rake Hugh Grant over the coals too because he said something that a movie studio might not like, or does it only matter when it’s Zegler?

Well the difference is Hugh isn't ranking on the original Charlie and the chocolate factory. He's ranking on having to use motion capture tech and how bad of an experience that was. And yea, he might take some flack if the movie underperforms because the headline wants people to think he hated the movie itself.

BuddyThomas

Well the difference is Hugh isn't ranking on the original Charlie and the chocolate factory. He's ranking on having to use motion capture tech and how bad of an experience that was. And yea, he might take some flack if the movie underperforms because the headline wants people to think he hated the movie itself.
Doesn’t matter. He’s still complaining about his own film to reporters. Does he need a lesson in public speaking like you all said Rachel Zegler needs? And how bout all these people?

MoonRakerSCM

As pointed out, his complaints about his film are entirely different. That being said though, and as pointed out, the media pounces on anything they can sway negative and it seems that box office results are increasingly fragile and anything can cause loses.

DKampy

Doesn’t matter. He’s still complaining about his own film to reporters. Does he need a lesson in public speaking like you all said Rachel Zegler needs? And how bout all these people?

The difference around here is that Wonka is not a Disney movie

erasure fan1

But he isn't complaining about the film, he's complaining about a technique used to make a film. There is a difference. It also shows that the media isn't just trying to make Disney look bad. They try to make anyone they can look bad. It's a very click bait article. It's just amplified with Disney as they are by far the dominant name in film.

But to be clear, anyone talking down about an ip they are about to star in should most definitely be talked to and criticized. It's irrelevant if it's Disney or not. I was highly critical of Ewan when he was talking down about being in star wars.... Be happy you had the opportunity to be in something with such name power. It's the classy way to go.

LittleBuford

Walt probably used a lot of outdated terminology, when you stop and think about it. I’ll refrain from suggesting what those might have been.
OK, but my point was that "cartoon" is a perfectly acceptable way to refer to an animated feature film. "Cartoon feature" is the standard term used on Disney film posters into the '70s.

LittleBuford

And I had a gay old time at the mall today.
The difference is that people actually still use "cartoon" to mean "animated feature". I know some here look down on the usage, but it's alive and kicking. You yourself employ it (as do I):

People/ families opposed to this kind of stuff in childrens cartoons were on high alert after Lightyear.
I had whatever cartoons were playing on regular TV and whatever VHS’s I owned. This allowed me to be impacted by those early films almost as much as the generations that came before me.

mickEblu

The difference is that people actually still use "cartoon" to mean "animated feature". I know some here look down on the usage, but it's alive and kicking. You yourself employ it (as do I):

Cartoon has a different connotation now. I’d say most people are referring to cartoon TV show episodes (aimed mostly at children) when they use the word. In your first example I used “cartoon” as a way to strengthen my point by picking a word that that would be most closely associated with children, youth and innocence.

Even shorts people just refer to as shorts not really cartoons.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
You now what's worse than calling animation a 'cartoon'?

Calling a film a 'movie.'

Yes. The pictures *move*! Here's a cookie.

This is almost as dreadful as calling a Broadway cast recording a 'soundtrack.' <shudder>

LittleBuford

Cartoon has a different connotation now. I’d say most people are referring to cartoon TV show episodes (aimed mostly at children) when they use the word. In your first example I used “cartoon” as a way to strengthen my point by picking a word that that would be most closely associated with children, youth and innocence.

Even shorts people just refer to as shorts not really cartoons.
However much you seek to explain it away, Zegler, you, and I have all used "cartoon" to refer to animated features. Perhaps some regard it as improper and old-fashioned, but I assume that Zegler, who's about half my age, isn't speaking some outdated register of English with deliberate archaisms.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom