Live-Action ‘Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs’

LittleBuford

About Snow White?
Fox News is reporting on the following feature in The Wrap:

“It’s an honor to be recognized in a way that both celebrates our heritage and lifts up the contributions we all make to this industry, where it can be particularly hard for us to be seen and heard in a meaningful way,” actress Rachel Zegler told TheWrap. Zegler herself has made remarkable accomplishments in the industry in a short time. She burst onto the scene in the 2021 film remake of “West Side Story.” Making her film debut playing a character once inhabited by Natalie Wood is no small feat, but Zegler did it with grace and warmth. “I still don’t think I’m quite ready for the life I already have, despite being extremely grateful for it and for every opportunity it has brought me,” she said. That life is now seeing her take on the role of Lucy Baird Gray in the latest “Hunger Games” film, and playing the first Disney princess: Snow White. The latter role has drawn its fair share of controversy, in a similar way to Halle Bailey’s casting in “The Little Mermaid.” But to see a new generation of young girls see a Latina actress in the role will be revolutionary. “To young Latino performers coming up in the industry, I would tell them to know their worth, and to make sure they’re loud about having seats at the tables they deserve to be at,” said Zegler. “I have learned the hard way that we have to be fearless and loud in order to be heard, and to prepare for the backlash that occasionally comes with that outspokenness.”

BuddyThomas

Fox News is reporting (in its own characteristic way) on the following feature in The Wrap:

“It’s an honor to be recognized in a way that both celebrates our heritage and lifts up the contributions we all make to this industry, where it can be particularly hard for us to be seen and heard in a meaningful way,” actress Rachel Zegler told TheWrap. Zegler herself has made remarkable accomplishments in the industry in a short time. She burst onto the scene in the 2021 film remake of “West Side Story.” Making her film debut playing a character once inhabited by Natalie Wood is no small feat, but Zegler did it with grace and warmth. “I still don’t think I’m quite ready for the life I already have, despite being extremely grateful for it and for every opportunity it has brought me,” she said. That life is now seeing her take on the role of Lucy Baird Gray in the latest “Hunger Games” film, and playing the first Disney princess: Snow White. The latter role has drawn its fair share of controversy, in a similar way to Halle Bailey’s casting in “The Little Mermaid.” But to see a new generation of young girls see a Latina actress in the role will be revolutionary. “To young Latino performers coming up in the industry, I would tell them to know their worth, and to make sure they’re loud about having seats at the tables they deserve to be at,” said Zegler. “I have learned the hard way that we have to be fearless and loud in order to be heard, and to prepare for the backlash that occasionally comes with that outspokenness.”

Doesn’t sound like she said anything wrong.

Chi84

Premium Member
Fox News is reporting on the following feature in The Wrap:

Okay but what is she “doubling down” on?

LittleBuford

Okay but what is she “doubling down” on?
Here's the headline and a few quotes from the Fox News article. They help explain why, to some people, she is doubling down:

‘Snow White’ reboot star who slammed 1937 original remarks on ‘backlash’ she has gotten for being 'outspoken'​

Not apologizing for courting any controversy, Zegler’s statement indicated that she believes the pushback and criticism she has received are what comes with her being "fearless and loud" to earn her place in Hollywood.

A rep for Zegler told Fox News Digital that the actress statement represented "her thoughts on the industry in general," adding that "Snow White was not mentioned in her quotes."

Chi84

Premium Member
I don't quite understand the fuss either, but at this point, I'm not at all surprised by it.
So she said nothing at all about Snow White. I suspect the issue is that she said some things about being loud and fearless and demanding a place at the table.

That’s the kind of threatening non-princess like talk that’s likely to tick off a bunch of old guys who had no intention of seeing the movie in the first place.

Disney Analyst

Better quality:

F9dxBKHWIAAK7XL.jpeg

Ghost93

Either they made a last-minute decision to reshoot the film to bring back the dwarves, or the dwarves were always there and the leaked image was just stand-in actors.

I have mixed feelings on them going with a CGI-gnome like design for the dwarves. On one hand, it robs dwarf actors of an acting opportunity. On the other hand, it makes it blatant that these are fantasy-like creatures not to be confused with humans with actual dwarfism, and that distinction might help prevent the film from perpetuating stereotypes about real-life dwarves.

As for the delay, it could be that when Snow White was originally scheduled, there was little competition. But because several other films got pushed back due to the writers strike, March is now overcrowded.

Disney Analyst

Either they made a last-minute decision to reshoot the film to bring back the dwarves, or the dwarves were always there and the leaked image was just stand-in actors.

I have mixed feelings on them going with a CGI-gnome like design for the dwarves. On one hand, it robs dwarf actors of an acting opportunity. On the other hand, it makes it blatant that these are fantasy-like creatures not to be confused with humans with actual dwarfism, and that distinction might help prevent the film from perpetuating stereotypes about real-life dwarves.

As for the delay, it could be that when Snow White was originally scheduled, there was little competition. But because several other films got pushed back due to the writers strike, March is now overcrowded.

I mean, that image didn’t even have Rachel in it… but some other actor as “Snow White”. So either it was all stand-ins, or a fake, or… I don’t know?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom