Live-Action ‘Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs’

doctornick

The Hunger Games film comes out first. It will be a blockbuster. You can hate on her all you want but she is shaping up to be a major star.

Will it? Honest question as I am not sure how it is projected to do or how the fanbase is viewing it. Obviously, the original series did very well but sometimes prequels without the main cast don't perform as well - Harry Potter vs Fantastic Beasts being an obvious example - and I wasn't sure if a Hunger Games without Katniss is a surefire hit.

MagicHappens1971

Will it? Honest question as I am not sure how it is projected to do or how the fanbase is viewing it. Obviously, the original series did very well but sometimes prequels without the main cast don't perform as well - Harry Potter vs Fantastic Beasts being an obvious example - and I wasn't sure if a Hunger Games without Katniss is a surefire hit.
I think it will be a hit. The book was very good, and the main character was the main antagonist of the originals. Unlike Fantastic Beasts which was just poorly executed either way

doctornick

They may if they haven’t already closed their minds. People miss so many good things by pre-judging. Why not wait to see what the film is about before deciding whether or not to see it?

But again, why should the expectation be that people "need to" see a film? A potential viewer is under no obligation to buy the product (i.e. a movie ticket). A potential viewer sees the information available and decides whether it is worth their time and money to buy the product.

It is up to Disney (or whatever studio is appropriate for a specific film) to sell their movie to the audience and inspire them to see it. We'll see what happens once the actual direct marketing for the films starts up, but I do not think Disney has done a good job with PR for the film so far which lies on them as the studio trying to sell tickets.

If people have "closed their minds" or "pre-judged", it is Disney that needs to change that sentiment.

Chi84

Premium Member
But again, why should the expectation be that people "need to" see a film? A potential viewer is under no obligation to buy the product (i.e. a movie ticket). A potential viewer sees the information available and decides whether it is worth their time and money to buy the product.

It is up to Disney (or whatever studio is appropriate for a specific film) to sell their movie to the audience and inspire them to see it. We'll see what happens once the actual direct marketing for the films starts up, but I do not think Disney has done a good job with PR for the film so far which lies on them as the studio trying to sell tickets.

If people have "closed their minds" or "pre-judged", it is Disney that needs to change that sentiment.
The problem I’m seeing is that some people aren’t waiting to see what happens when the direct marketing of the film starts up. They’re concluding the film is going to fail and suggesting reshooting it or sending it direct to Disney+ before any marketing has even begun. What sense does that make?

doctornick

The problem I’m seeing is that some people aren’t waiting to see what happens when the direct marketing of the film starts up. They’re concluding the film is going to fail and suggesting reshooting it or sending it direct to Disney+ before any marketing has even begun. What sense does that make?

Because this is a discussion and board and it involves people... discussing things. Sure, we could just not talk about the film at all until more information comes out, but people are on this specific board subdivision because they like to discuss the aspects of Disney films/television/streaming. This is an upcoming film, so people are discussing it and what their impressions and thoughts about it are. It's perfectly valid to have an opinion or impression based on the information currently out there.

When the advertising campaign starts up, if Disney is able to "wow" people and change the mindset then great for Disney! That would surely impact the tone of the discussion here as more information becomes available. but for now, we got what we got and some people enjoy talking about their predictions and anticipated vibe for the film. Nothing wrong with that.

Tha Realest

Prospective customers are free to form opinions about a project based on what they see and hear. Disney is free to do what it wants with its iteration of Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, even if that means stripping the film of a potential love story and doing away with the dwarfs. That’s fine. They can even choose to distance themselves from the source material even further. Their prerogative. We as customers are free to make initial judgments based on those choices.

I love the Batman character. If it came out that WBD, as part of its reimagining, had Bruce Wayne as a man who developed superpowers and accidentally killed his own parents, and now carries a gun - hey, it’s their choice. Until convinced otherwise, I likely would not choose to see such a film.

Chi84

Premium Member
Prospective customers are free to form opinions about a project based on what they see and hear. Disney is free to do what it wants with its iteration of Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, even if that means stripping the film of a potential love story and doing away with the dwarfs. That’s fine. They can even choose to distance themselves from the source material even further. Their prerogative. We as customers are free to make initial judgments based on those choices.

I love the Batman character. If it came out that WBD, as part of its reimagining, had Bruce Wayne as a man who developed superpowers and accidentally killed his own parents, and now carries a gun - hey, it’s their choice. Until convinced otherwise, I likely would not choose to see such a film.
I thought there was going to be a love story in Snow White (at least from the little we've heard). I recently watched the original Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs and I'm at a loss as to how Disney could make that film today. Current audiences would be either falling asleep or walking out in the first 10 minutes complaining that nothing was "happening." So I'm okay with people who love the animated version keeping to that version - it was beautifully done and a gorgeous piece of art that was perfect for its time and is not going anywhere.

But Disney is a business and decides what to do with its own source material, and I'm fine with that too. I actually prefer live-action films to animated ones so I'm looking forward to seeing what they do with Snow White. From my experience with past remakes (including The Little Mermaid), I'm expecting Disney to make a charming, funny and uplifting film - nothing like your example of Batman. But I'll keep an open mind about this; if the trailers show a Snow White who becomes a spoiled brat and abuses the serfs in her kingdom I probably won't see it.

Vegas Disney Fan

The problem is that some people have already formed final impressions. It’s impossible to say at this stage whether it’s going to be a good or bad film.
I don’t know how many people have made a final impression but Disney is definitely fighting an uphill battle to get butts in theater seats due to the actors comments and the photos.

Disneys biggest problem is they’ve created a situation where the choice isn’t whether to see a movie or not, it’s whether to pay extra to see it in a theater or just wait to watch it free on D+.

Disney needs to convince people this is a movie worth paying to see in a theater, and it’s going to be much more difficult to convince them now with all the negativity already surrounding this film, glowing reviews could overshadow all the noise but if the reviews are just “ok” the negativity from the noise will likely be enough to convince people to wait for D+.

DKampy

Because this is a discussion and board and it involves people... discussing things. Sure, we could just not talk about the film at all until more information comes out, but people are on this specific board subdivision because they like to discuss the aspects of Disney films/television/streaming.
Or in the case of the forums lately… many people seem to enjoy criticizing Disney films with glee without all the info or even ever watching said film

Tha Realest

Or in the case of the forums lately… many people seem to enjoy criticizing Disney films with glee without all the info or even ever watching said film
I happen to think all of the information I’ve heard and seen of this film makes it look silly and tedious, and by the sounds of things I’m far from alone in this regard.
We’ll all know in a few months (when we see a trailer, when the reviews roll out, how well it performs) whether Disney read the room with this purported changes.

Chi84

Premium Member
I happen to think all of the information I’ve heard and seen of this film makes it look silly and tedious, and by the sounds of things I’m far from alone in this regard.
We’ll all know in a few months (when we see a trailer, when the reviews roll out, how well it performs) whether Disney read the room with this purported changes.
What do you consider silly and tedious from what you’ve heard?

When did you last watch the original 1937 animated film?

Last edited:

mickEblu

What do you consider silly and tedious from what you’ve heard?

I’d say the 7 hipsters who were cast because of Dinklage’s comments. An Evil Queen who is more attractive than Snow White. But who knows maybe in this version she’s not jealous of Snow White for her beauty but instead jealous of her mental fortitude or vocal range?

Chi84

Premium Member
I’d say the 7 hipsters who were cast because of Dinklage’s comments. An Evil Queen who is more attractive than Snow White. But who knows maybe in this version she’s not jealous of Snow White for her beauty but instead jealous of her mental fortitude or vocal range?
I don’t know anything about the cast other than what was apparently a leaked production photo. The whole point is that both Snow White and the Evil Queen are beautiful. Otherwise there would be no need to hassle the mirror so often.

As far as mental fortitude and vocal range, those are definitely qualities/talents to be admired aren’t they?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom