Little soggy Epcot update

aszelinski

It would appear that the money Siemens saved when they laid me off in 2005 is being put to good use at SSE. I guess when I get back on my feet I'll have to plan a trip to WDW to see the results of our plant closure. :lol: :sohappy:

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
CThaddeus said:
Would they really close their centerpiece attraction for almost 10 months, especially during the summer? I could see a couple of weeks maybe, but that long?

Hi CT :wave:

A rehab that long would hopefully involve rehabbing / replacing the ride system with a smooth, quiet version. WED & WDI had their chances earlier to minimise wear and tear but chost no to - and it shows. Having said that, the SSE Omnimover must be the most complex, hard working one ever built. 148 guest vehicles. 1552 ft of track snaking 115ft above ground. A gradual rise over 3 levels, then a 113ft descent slope over a distance less than the height dropped. All this with the weight of the vehicles, turntable chassis, spacer vehicles and guests. No wonder it`s worn out!

Also, SSE must be the most difficult E Ride to work on. Unlike other Omnis, you can`t just pull out the cars into the maintainenece bay and store them outside to get to the track. The biggest issue would be location - SSE is landlocked by guest areas. Unless they close one of the two main walkways into the park (I doubt it) everything needed from park opening to park closing would need to be stored in Global Neighborhood. Every tool, machine, spare part. Not to mention if every ride vehicle needed to be removed they could only store a certain many here before they`d run out of room and need to wait until park closing to move them backstage.

SirNim

EpcotMark said:
One person I have talked with says that the ride will be down from January to October to replace the vehicles with new ones with LCD screens.
The addition of LCD screens to the vehicles sure would provide a good excuse to get rid of the horrendous warning screens in the entry tunnel...

One can hope...

Buried20KLeague

marni1971 said:
Hi CT :wave:

A rehab that long would hopefully involve rehabbing / replacing the ride system with a smooth, quiet version. WED & WDI had their chances earlier to minimise wear and tear but chost no to - and it shows. Having said that, the SSE Omnimover must be the most complex, hard working one ever built. 148 guest vehicles. 1552 ft of track snaking 115ft above ground. A gradual rise over 3 levels, then a 113ft descent slope over a distance less than the height dropped. All this with the weight of the vehicles, turntable chassis, spacer vehicles and guests. No wonder it`s worn out!

Also, SSE must be the most difficult E Ride to work on. Unlike other Omnis, you can`t just pull out the cars into the maintainenece bay and store them outside to get to the track. The biggest issue would be location - SSE is landlocked by guest areas. Unless they close one of the two main walkways into the park (I doubt it) everything needed from park opening to park closing would need to be stored in Global Neighborhood. Every tool, machine, spare part. Not to mention if every ride vehicle needed to be removed they could only store a certain many here before they`d run out of room and need to wait until park closing to move them backstage.

Totally just thinking out loud here...

But isn't there a SMALL utilidor under Epcot basically from the entrance to the beginning of world showcase? I'm just wondering if there's a connection point underground at SSE that could be used to store and transport parts to and from, etc...

:veryconfu

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
^ Not that I could find, and I`ve been researching this very recently. It was mentioned in the EPCOT field guide, but unless a CM can tell otherwise I can`t find proof. There certainly isn`t one on the original park blueprints.

mousermerf

Account Suspended
Original Poster
There is one - it start behind the kennel/Energy with an access point ramp that goes up behind guest relations. It's meant for getting stuff to and from the communicores. I've never fully explored it, but I had it explained to me that it goes from Energy, to East (the Guest relations ramp area) to SSE via a starwell, and then over to West.

It's supposedly the reason SSE can evacuate down into itself. *shrug*

The only entry points I have personally seen are near Energy where it starts, behind Electric Umbrella is grassy area that's used as a CM break area (stairwell down) and the ramp that runs right behind the fascade wall at Guest Relations.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Sorry, Merf - I wasn`t being clear. Yes, there is a small tunnel complex in futureworld. Indeed, both Communicore buildings have a basement level connected to it, with storage, offices, breakrooms etc., and a network of stairs, elevators and ramps upto the surface. As you said, the entrance is behind Energy.

What I can`t find is proof of a spur going under Earthstation.

Buried20KLeague

I'd have to imagine they'd attempt to utilize that corridor as much as possible during a lengthy rehab on SSE then... Just to minimize impact on guests and expediate the refurb.

But it's just a guess. First they'd need to actually START a full blown refurb, which at this point is just rumor anyway.

mousermerf

Account Suspended
Original Poster
marni1971 said:
Sorry, Merf - I wasn`t being clear. Yes, there is a small tunnel complex in futureworld. Indeed, both Communicore buildings have a basement level connected to it, with storage, offices, breakrooms etc., and a network of stairs, elevators and ramps upto the surface. As you said, the entrance is behind Energy.

What I can`t find is proof of a spur going under Earthstation.

My wild guess would be to check the maps/drawings/plans for SSE itself and in particular either the stairwells near the Wheelchair entrances or the mirror column.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Yep - have done. The basement plan for CCore clearly shows the layout down there, with nothing heading north from the access tunnel.

I`ve just followed up on the SSE evac - in the Geosphere itself there are 4 main staircases above the 52ft level (the height of the top of legs platform), 3 look like they are for evac. There is staircase #5, which runs from 180top down to the 52ft level and further, staircase #10 that runs from the same down to about the 80ft floor, then hands over to staircase #9 which again goes lower than 52ft floor to the break area. At 52ft floor, the stairs connect to the entrance and exit ramps which of course have the walkways next to the ride path, to lead guests as far as load or unload, and out the building via the main entrance, or the fire doors in load and unload which connect to the VIP lounge NE and NW stairwells and out of the building.

There is also the elevator in the Geosphere, which is a service elevator, and runs from above the 115ft floor (it terminates at the 180top projection area) all the way down to ground level - this is what is in the mirror coloumn. It isn`t specifically designated for evac; the Ops Super has to decide whether it`s feasable to move a mobility impaired guest throught the regular routes, or await Reedy Creek to assist.

Of course, I`d love any SSE / Innoventions CM`s to chip in if they can!

MiklCraw4d

mousermerf said:
If it promised a better and improved SSE, i could live without it for 10 months.

You said it. And those LCD screens... interesting.

Maybe this will put an end toATTENTION PLEASE YOUR VEHICLE IS NOW ROTATING FOR ITS RETURN TO EARTH ATTENTION PLEASE YOUR VEHICLE IS NOW ROTATING FOR ITS RETURN TO EARTH ATTEN... oh sorry, what as I saying?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom