Little Mermaid at the Studios Rumor

UrbanDonovan

I believe there were licensing issues with Amy Adams that prohibit them from having Enchanted featured prominently in the parks.

Well, that sucks.

You'd have thought Disney would've had the foresight to lock down those issues in her contract for the film, since she was basically an unknown before Enchanted and would have been in no power position to demand licensing royalties or whatever.

In a totally unrelated note, the first episode of The Office that Amy Adams guested in was on syndication last evening on the local television station and my daughter walked into the room, saw her and totally freaked because she didn't understand why Princess Giselle was in Scranton. I really didn't know what to tell her.

trr1

I heard from an Entertainment cast member this past weekend that the Voyage of the Little Mermaid Show at The Studios will be replaced with a Disney Junior Meet and Greet area. Has anyone else heard this, any truth to this?? Has it been announced and I just missed it?

God I hope not . Do we really need another meet and greet?:shrug:

zooey

God I hope not . Do we really need another meet and greet?:shrug:

Can they ever really abandon the sound stage theme completely? It is a very convenient way to have large show buildings in plain sight. The park was never designed to hide them, so I would think that they'd have to do major work to do so. RnRC and Star Tours comes to mind. I would guess that the sound stage look might be waned over time, but there is no way it will ever be gone completely.

Fractal514

How can a suggestion be wrong? You're a meany. I haven't been to WDW for a while so I didn't know about the Lion King show in AK. The Aladdin show would be a good choice.

Perhaps I'm a meany, but you're still wrong. :p

Aladdin would be good, but like others have said, the last thing the park needs is a meet and greet, and the second to last thing it needs is a live show.

I think a dark ride would be swell, but of what? A tron simulator ride ala Simpsons, only Tron?

aladdin2007

a dark ride in that park would be nice. Monsters Inc Hide and Go Seek from Tokyo would be amazing, but not going to happen.

a dark ride in that park would be nice. Monsters Inc Hide and Go Seek from Tokyo would be amazing, but not going to happen.

Please explain to me why it won't or can't happen. I know Isner or the WDI folks don't want to hear from little ole me, but I think WDW should have the best ride from all the WDW parks world wide. Maybe I am wrong but was that not Walt's vision...to give WDW what DL did not have the space to have?

aladdin2007

Please explain to me why it won't or can't happen. I know Isner or the WDI folks don't want to hear from little ole me, but I think WDW should have the best ride from all the WDW parks world wide. Maybe I am wrong but was that not Walt's vision...to give WDW what DL did not have the space to have?

Because TDO wont pay for it. WDI would probably love to implement something like that here, but TDO doesnt like to spend, as we all know. For instance the Fantasyland expansion is only happening because Glendale intervened over TDO.

CJR

I doubt there is space for a dark ride, let alone structural integrity.

The theatre was originally built for the finale of the backstage tour in 1988. To up park capactiy, in late 1989 another theatre was built behind it for the tour, and the original used for Here Come the Muppets. It is purely an auditorium which would probably take more time and money to convert than a new build elsewhere. There is also addtional infrastructre from the studios days in close proximity (the post area springs to mind) that may or may not still be in use.

I was looking at it from Google Earth and it does seem a bit small for a dark ride. Management would probably refuse to do this, but this is what I would do:

Move the Disney Junior show to the VotLM site and then use the Disney Junior theater for the dark ride. There's a bit more space over there and would work out better since it's right next to the Animation Tour. Thus a dark ride would be in a good area (currently rideless) and the VotLM theater wouldn't need to experience major changes.

I agree as well. I find myself humming the music at times during the day. It is definately memorable and enjoyable!

Me too. I think the music in Tangled is some of the best Disney has put out. The tavern scene is almost as good as the "Be Our Guest" scene in B&tB, which is excellent. As mucha as I like the LM show, I wouldn't mind seeing it replaced with something from Tangled.

Orange Bird

I believe there were licensing issues with Amy Adams that prohibit them from having Enchanted featured prominently in the parks.

She would have the right to the image of herself, but not to the character. Same is true of Julie Andrews/Mary Poppins, Johnny Depp/Jack Sparrow.

The question is...do you want to create an AA of the character or have a live performer play the role, or show video footage of the character? If you want to create an AA of the character that looks and sounds like the actor, then yes you need the actor's permission and that'll cost money, but it's nothing Disney hasn't done dozens of times before.

zooey

She would have the right to the image of herself, but not to the character. Same is true of Julie Andrews/Mary Poppins, Johnny Depp/Jack Sparrow.

The question is...do you want to create an AA of the character or have a live performer play the role, or show video footage of the character? If you want to create an AA of the character that looks and sounds like the actor, then yes you need the actor's permission and that'll cost money, but it's nothing Disney hasn't done dozens of times before.

She was in a parade, I think.

Neverland

She was in a parade, I think.

She was in the Christmas parades at both MK and DL, as well as doing meet and greets at the Enchanted Experience at the El Capitan:

enchanted28.jpg

Sketch105

I think the real reason Giselle from Enchanted doesn't appear in the parks is because she is not seen as a "proper" Disney Princess, and point of the movie was to parody Disney's own ideas. Having her stand next to Snow White and Cinderella would almost undermine the concept, even though in the film, she started off as an animated princess.

Now that I think about it, it's very rare for a live-action character to be a regular character at the Disney parks. It's a very short list. Mary Poppins, the Star Wars face characters, Indiana Jones stunt show characters (who are portraying stunt men playing those characters, so that's a stretch)

...Can anyone else list some other live action characters turned into meet-n-greet characters that were there, short lived or not?

Thrill Seeker

I think the real reason Giselle from Enchanted doesn't appear in the parks is because she is not seen as a "proper" Disney Princess, and point of the movie was to parody Disney's own ideas. Having her stand next to Snow White and Cinderella would almost undermine the concept, even though in the film, she started off as an animated princess.

Now that I think about it, it's very rare for a live-action character to be a regular character at the Disney parks. It's a very short list. Mary Poppins, the Star Wars face characters, Indiana Jones stunt show characters (who are portraying stunt men playing those characters, so that's a stretch)

...Can anyone else list some other live action characters turned into meet-n-greet characters that were there, short lived or not?

Angelica from Pirates 4 is coming in April to MK.

Thrill Seeker

DHS has so much potential...

Close Mermaid...move One Man's Dream to the Magic Kingdom, Get rid of Narnia...there. Now you have three empty soundstages. Start building a few decent dark rides!
As for the Anamation Courtyard...axe it. Tear down the buildings and build a new pathway leading into Sunset Boulevard. So much more potential for expansion this way. Oh yeah, and I also agree with gutting Sounds Dangerous...and making THAT the one place for Meet and Greet central in DHS.

I had that same idea. Better yet, combine all three buildings (since they are all kinda small) and you have yourself room for a new E-ticket attraction!

Thrill Seeker

I doubt there is space for a dark ride, let alone structural integrity.

The theatre was originally built for the finale of the backstage tour in 1988. To up park capactiy, in late 1989 another theatre was built behind it for the tour, and the original used for Here Come the Muppets. It is purely an auditorium which would probably take more time and money to convert than a new build elsewhere. There is also addtional infrastructre from the studios days in close proximity (the post area springs to mind) that may or may not still be in use.

As for Sounds Dangerous being used for M&G, uh-uh. Bring it back to a stellar attraction. The park needs it. Send the M&G elsewhere.

THX Sounds Show anyone?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom