Rumor Lion King Flume Ride being considered for Animal Kingdom

Moka

I wonder how much different and smaller the attraction would be if it does ever make its way to DAK. Like, the DLP attraction does indeed look like a former Splash Mountain overlay idea. But obviously, DAK isn't going to build Splash Mountain 2. I guess it'd maybe be the size of something like Frozen(?)

I understand TLK is supposedly popular in DLP, but man, it will never not be insane to me that they are getting the full fledged experience and not DAK. Still cool it's happening somewhere in the world.

J4546

im sure they will build this in AK soon as well, when they r/d these major rides they usually plan for more than one eventually to spread out costs. Tron, 7dmt, Rat, etc. They will prob announce it next d23 and start right after tropical americas is done imo

nickys

Premium Member
I wonder how much different and smaller the attraction would be if it does ever make its way to DAK. Like, the DLP attraction does indeed look like a former Splash Mountain overlay idea. But obviously, DAK isn't going to build Splash Mountain 2. I guess it'd maybe be the size of something like Frozen(?)

I understand TLK is supposedly popular in DLP, but man, it will never not be insane to me that they are getting the full fledged experience and not DAK. Still cool it's happening somewhere in the world.
The Lion King mini land has replaced what was going to be Star Wars in the park. The original plans were for Galaxyโ€™s Edge โ€œLiteโ€ with Rise but not Milenium Falcon.

They then had a rethink and decided that the Lion King would prove a more popular miniland in Europe.

Whether the decision had to do with the muted response to Galaxyโ€™s Edge, I donโ€™t know. Maybe they were concerned about the lack of reliability of Rise.

Either way, Paris gets the exclusivity of LK. For now.

MerlinTheGoat

Thereโ€™s another 7dmt?
Shanghai. It's almost the same ride, only difference is that they didn't replicate the life-sized dwarf cottage and interior scene. They instead added a forced perspective miniature of the cottage viewed from a distance.

Glenn-SevenDwarfs03.jpg

co10064

Premium Member
A few thoughts hereโ€ฆ

1. If the ride is somehow brought to DAK down the line, I doubt it will be an exact clone. The concept art looks far too similar to Splash Mountain/Tianaโ€™s (notably the drop, runout, and s-curve back into the show building). Itโ€™s one thing to duplicate ride systems, but to have the same or very similar ride paths would be puzzling.

2. Yes, the winters in France are very cold, but the summers can easily see temps in the 90s (F). To me it makes sense to have at least one water ride at the resort. When I visited in the summer I found a water ride to be a notably missing experience.

3. DAK needs more than Tropical Americas. I understand why they did what they did by spreading the love to DHS (more capacity needed) and MK (premier theme park), but DAK will still have the least to do of all four parks. That being said, Disney did announce more than I anticipated, so I am withholding pessimism. To me, this was the most โ€œlong shotโ€ announcement.

Brummyboy92

Why are people so concerned with the climate in Paris? We have plenty of water rides in the UK, and that is colder/wetter than Paris. As far as I am concerned, this will be a must visit attraction, it will do it's job in attracting more people to the resort.
If the weather gets so bad that they would need to shut it down, which would be 3/4 weeks maximum a year, who cares? It will likely save Disney money given it will attract big numbers throughout the year, and save a bit of money on operating costs for a few weeks over a 12 month period.

This needs to come to Animal Kingdom in some variation though, and in a reasonable timeframe as well. Always surprised there was no flume ride in the park.

MerlinTheGoat

also this ride is mostly indoors.
Not against this ride or anything, but outside vs inside on the ride itself isn't the issue. It's after you get off the ride. A person and their clothes getting soaked and having to walk around outside afterwards.

Hopefully they design this attraction in a way that the splash factor can be tweaked for the colder times of the year. Splash Mountain had extra soaker jets around the big drop that they would disable for the winter season, one of the thematic waterfalls you pass by right before the finale was toned down as well. Though you could still get very wet at the base of the drops just due to the wave of water that the impact would kick up (the back row i've found is generally a good mitigation strategy for this though). Especially on the big drop.

Perhaps they can make it so that the initial troughs boats hit at the bottom can have their water tables adjusted. If the water level is low, then boats would coast more over the water surface instead of smashing into it like a wall. So a smaller wave would occur. During warmer seasons, this trough can have its water table raised back up again.

Regardless, I think they will probably close the ride down quite a bit during the winter, especially if there's a lot of snow and freezing. I don't think many people would want to ride it in such conditions anyway, and it may even cause operational issues to try to run it too. They'll probably (and hopefully) use this downtime for important maintenance.

Disone

Not against this ride or anything, but outside vs inside on the ride itself isn't the issue. It's after you get off the ride. A person and their clothes getting soaked and having to walk around outside afterwards.

Hopefully they design this attraction in a way that the splash factor can be tweaked for the colder times of the year. Splash Mountain had extra soaker jets around the big drop that they would disable for the winter season, one of the thematic waterfalls you pass by right before the finale was toned down as well. Though you could still get very wet at the base of the drops just due to the wave of water that the impact would kick up (the back row i've found is generally a good mitigation strategy for this though). Especially on the big drop.

Perhaps they can make it so that the initial troughs boats hit at the bottom can have their water tables adjusted. If the water level is low, then boats would coast more over the water surface instead of smashing into it like a wall. So a smaller wave would occur. During warmer seasons, this trough can have its water table raised back up again.

Regardless, I think they will probably close the ride down quite a bit during the winter, especially if there's a lot of snow and freezing. I don't think many people would want to ride it in such conditions anyway, and it may even cause operational issues to try to run it too. They'll probably (and hopefully) use this downtime for important maintenance.
It Periodically snows at Tokyo Disneyland which has Splash mountain. Also TDL's Splash mountain was initially designed to be less splashy although now they've gone the opposite direction and during the summer they get you extra wet. Point being is that Disney is well experienced in modifying a log ride's soak factor.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom