Rumor Lion King Flume Ride being considered for Animal Kingdom

DisneyHead123

“Animal Kingdom has always been the park about all animals — real and fictional, gritty and cartoon, and of past, present, and myth” doesn’t require all that hyperbole that nobody is actually trying to say
Apologies if I was a bit short. Theme parks have lots and lots of elements. If your criteria is “this appeared somewhere in the park at one point in time”, the theme could literally be anything and becomes a meaningless construct. I could go on and on about how Magic Kingdom has always contained lots of food and merch and so really we should turn the place into Disney Springs. Or a coaster park. Or a Renaissance Fair. Whatever. Lots of stuff has appeared in that park.

Without a deeper meaning for the word “theme” - all I can do is shrug and say “Ok, sure, that’s your opinion.” If I say Magic Kingdom was always themed to Disney Springs because shops, all you can do is shrug and say yeah, sure, that’s one opinion. At that point there’s little reason to even have a conversation and it would probably make more sense for Disney to poll their customers and see what the most popular theme for AK is, then go from there.

UNCgolf

I don't think anyone wishes Chester & Hester's would stay -- I always hated it. But if you think it's not a well-themed representation of an American roadside tourist trap, then... well... not sure what to tell you.

That aside, the lack of reading comprehension in this thread continues to hurt me to my core. It's the main reasons I've stopped posting here much; it feels like the vast majority of people either have abysmal reading comprehension or intentionally choose to ignore what they've read. It feels like a waste of time to engage.

Last edited:

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No
Yes. A for effort/execution, but an F for the assignment.

It's quite ironic when Six Flags tries (and often fails) to hide the fact that they built a new attraction over what was previously a 30 year old parking lot, and then Disney tries (and succeeds) in making it look like they built their land over a 30 year old parking lot that was never there in the first place.

cjkeating

So if we're touristing in Harambe, we can't have ventured into a corner of the Savannah where lions are in the middle of a (familiar) succession struggle? I don't see how bold changes to the film are necessary, even if you believe tourism is the theme of the park. These animals live in Africa, we're on vacay in Africa, we see them while on a boat...
I think there are two ways the Lion King flume could be designed to fit within Harambe. Both our outlandish and won't be done.

1) The village of Harambe design a Lion King flume based on their interpretation of the Lion King film following the huge success of the FOTLK at Harambe Theatre just like Disney have interpreted many 'fairy tales' over the years. Therefore the art style in the ride would not be the same as the film but more African, think of the general Harambe art style around the land. I wouldn't have issues with them using the songs from the film.

2) TWDC company have gifted Harambe a multi-million dollar dark ride because they had some corporate outreach money burning a hole in their pocket. If you want to go very meta Disney could even sponsor the ride in universe in Harambe... :D

Feels like people are desperate to find ways to define Animal Kingdom in a way that boxes out a Lion King retelling. But none of these definitions work without cherry picking parts of the park to define a pattern of convenience, or cherry picking elements of the film to ignore
Theaters are interesting as in themed entertainment they are often treated as a sort of play within a play. Their content is often considered to be detached for their surrounding. Big theater shows really became a thing with studio parks and their content does not remain the purview of the park designers.
For avoidance of doubt I love FOTL and I think it is the perfect treatment for the Lion King in DAK and a flume ride isn't required.

But Camp Minnie Mickey is what we got, and countless other additions to the park have combined the kawaii with the gritty, the fictional with the real, into the park it is today.
Can you give some examples of where DAK is kawaii?

lazyboy97o

I think there are two ways the Lion King flume could be designed to fit within Harambe. Both our outlandish and won't be done.

1) The village of Harambe design a Lion King flume based on their interpretation of the Lion King film following the huge success of the FOTLK at Harambe Theatre just like Disney have interpreted many 'fairy tales' over the years. Therefore the art style in the ride would not be the same as the film but more African, think of the general Harambe art style around the land. I wouldn't have issues with them using the songs from the film.

2) TWDC company have gifted Harambe a multi-million dollar dark ride because they had some corporate outreach money burning a hole in their pocket. If you want to go very meta Disney could even sponsor the ride in universe in Harambe... :D
This sort of meta narrative has been done but it’s a tool that allows pretty much anything to work.

For avoidance of doubt I love FOTL and I think it is the perfect treatment for the Lion King in DAK and a flume ride isn't required.
My point was more just that theaters are treated different than other attractions in terms of story. Whereas a ride or walkthrough is very much intended to connect to the story of a land, there’s a sort of acceptance that what is in a theater won’t necessarily be aligned with the story of the land. Even Festival of the Lion King is actually an example of this as it wasn’t developed for Africa.

CoasterCowboy67

I just think it's an unwise decision to make a beautiful theme park with a section whose theme is "cheap theme park". It's too esoteric and academic

Apologies if I was a bit short. Theme parks have lots and lots of elements. If your criteria is “this appeared somewhere in the park at one point in time”, the theme could literally be anything and becomes a meaningless construct. I could go on and on about how Magic Kingdom has always contained lots of food and merch and so really we should turn the place into Disney Springs. Or a coaster park. Or a Renaissance Fair. Whatever. Lots of stuff has appeared in that park.

Without a deeper meaning for the word “theme” - all I can do is shrug and say “Ok, sure, that’s your opinion.” If I say Magic Kingdom was always themed to Disney Springs because shops, all you can do is shrug and say yeah, sure, that’s one opinion. At that point there’s little reason to even have a conversation and it would probably make more sense for Disney to poll their customers and see what the most popular theme for AK is, then go from there.
Your examples exaggerate what anyone's actually proposing as far as a theme for Animal Kingdom. I can also cherry pick elements of any park to define contrived themes and rules that exclude a proposed concept just because I don't like it. And then claim it's a violation of the park's "theme" which I've defined out of convenience. I'm just pointing out the inconsistencies of these litmus tests

Can you give some examples of where DAK is kawaii?
It's not hard to believe Harambe villagers would have created a boat version of its safari. Rather than seeing real animals and leaving us to make up stories behind their interactions, we see a specific fictional story featuring the same animatronic lion and warthog who performed at their local show

Kawaii at DAK:
  • Simba, Pumbaa, Timon, and the other animatronic animals at FOTK;
  • the Finding Nemo show's depiction of fish;
  • It's Tough to be a Bug's depiction of bugs;
  • the UP show's depiction of a human, dog, and bird;
  • Rafikii's planet watch depiction of a mandrill (is he meant to be a real mandrill hosting a petting zoo? or did these villagers outside of Harambe just use the movie character?)
  • all of the character meet ups at DAK past and present;
  • ~half the merchandise sold at the park past and present

BrianLo

Imagine all this discussion about if a Lion King ride fits into AK, and at D23 they only announced a Lion king ride for DLP

The inclusion in the tree of life has convinced me the project both actually exists for DAK and is active. Along with DAK being front line for its budgeted approvals. If DAKs entire spend package hasn’t already been green-lit.

Doesn’t mean it is actually approved nor makes it as we’ve seen time and again. But I went from about 5% convinced this was a thing to 50. Ironically, more so than Moana, which felt like a very obvious Iger supported move.

I’m still left with the supposed spend in a post inflationary sense should really allow WDW to do 50% more than they did last decade. 50% in other words already accounting for projects being more expensive, so 1.5x Pandoras on a 2.0x spend.

Tropical Americas as presented is not more, it’s not even the same. Indy and a lot of retail and dining are being repurposed. Encanto lacks the massive rock work spend of FOP. The prior DAK project included both a new night show and the entire build of a lagoon outdoor theatre. A signature restaraunt, an entirely new theatre venue and quick service build in Harambe. An overhaul of the security plaza.

Either this DAK project is indeed more than merely Tropical Americas, or we’re getting an entirely second DAK project by early next decade. I think even with Lion King (and a night show), we’ll be due for another smaller 1-2 attraction project before the 10 year spend is up.

DisneyHead123

I just think it's an unwise decision to make a beautiful theme park with a section whose theme is "cheap theme park". It's too esoteric and academic

We actually agree on that one if you're talking Dinoland. I appreciated Boneyard for the littles in my family / extended family, but the rest I generally assumed was a placeholder and / or due to budget cuts. It's a departure from the rest of the park.

Your examples exaggerate what anyone's actually proposing as far as a theme for Animal Kingdom. I can also cherry pick elements of any park to define contrived themes and rules that exclude a proposed concept just because I don't like it. And then claim it's a violation of the park's "theme" which I've defined out of convenience. I'm just pointing out the inconsistencies of these litmus tests

Ok, let's do this then. What is your definition of "theme"? And what elements do you consider when deciding what the theme of Animal Kingdom is?

cjkeating

It's not hard to believe Harambe villagers would have created a boat version of its safari. Rather than seeing real animals and leaving us to make up stories behind their interactions, we see a specific fictional story featuring the same animatronic lion and warthog who performed at their local show
If we get a ride like this... then it just about works for me.

Kawaii at DAK:
  • Simba, Pumbaa, Timon, and the other animatronic animals at FOTK;
  • the Finding Nemo show's depiction of fish;
  • It's Tough to be a Bug's depiction of bugs;
  • the UP show's depiction of a human, dog, and bird;
  • Rafikii's planet watch depiction of a mandrill (is he meant to be a real mandrill hosting a petting zoo? or did these villagers outside of Harambe just use the movie character?)
  • all of the character meet ups at DAK past and present;
  • ~half the merchandise sold at the park past and present
I'm not sure how most or all of this fits in with the definition of kawaii? But I don't think it matters with what we are talking about.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom