Lines at the FP+ entrances

jlsHouston

As a large scale IT Program Manager, I think that I see the trap that most people on the forum are falling into. FP+ was not designed to enhance the guest experience. It is a data collection tool, plain and simple. By encouraging guests to pre-plan their attraction visits, the data engineers can now identify where people are going to be in the park and why. I am certain that the next phase of MM+ will include ads for shops, restaurants, etc around where your next FP+ will be, so when you look at your smartphone, other "suggestions" will be there as well.
Also, for marketing purposes, the data team at Disney now knows that if you use your MagicBand to ride BTMR and then 30 minutes later, go down to Pecos Bill's for a meal, they can use that data later on to ramp up food production down at the restaurant 30 minutes later.
And it really isn't about individual behavior, it is more about group behavior. The amount of data that is being generated by the MagicBands has to be massive and as a result, the engineers that are mining it aren't concerned about Joe Smith and his family, but what 2000 people are doing at precisely 12:45 in the afternoon in Fantasyland. These tools are all about data collection, marketing, personnel & restaurant management and nothing about how many times people (less or more), can get on TSMM each day.
The key fact to all this is the lack of park hopping with FP+. They are managing the data load per park and if you are park hopping with FP+, the data collection and analysis becomes exponentially more difficult. How does the data engineer factor in the time between the last MB use at MK and the next at Epcot? Were those people travelling the whole time? Did they go back to their room for a nap? Did they eat off property? Did they pay cash in a park for a meal at MK and therefore did not utilize the tool to capture the data before heading off to Epcot?
I have read many times in this forum and many others that the legacy FP system was largely underutilized by the masses and that smart people, like those on this board, found ways to manipulate the system. Disney found a way to close that loophole, find a cute way to encourage people to participate in their data collection efforts with the bands AND find a new avenue to potentially market to almost everyone who comes into the parks through the most distributed technology in the last 25 years, through their cellphone. As an IT guy, I think that it is pure genius. As a Disney customer, I will look to those smart people on this board to again to help find a way around the system.

Well I have many questions since you an IT person. I realize the FP+ program linked to a MB with RFID technology that can "track" me gives Disney a huge opportunity to collect tons of data on a guest(s) that can be used for marketing and upsell. But even if they collect that data, they have to do something with it. Which means all this data collection, and hopefully it isn't garbage in resulting in garbage out. Then it has to be analyzed and then they have to use the data for some purpose that will create revenue that results in profits and isn't there going to be a HUGE need for software and IT and marketing people to be able to do something with all this? I mean they spend a billion on this aren't they going to want to see maybe 5 or 10 billion at least as a ROI?

And if we look at how long TWDC has been playing with this NextGen stuff and creating the new website and writing code to implement MM+ and FP+ and where we are it with it 6 months after initial testing starting, do you think this is going to benefit the bottom line at WDW eventually in its current form? Personally I think they are going to have to keep raising ticket prices and room rates and the dining plan to PAY for MM+ .

Also what about the guest that doesn't use the cell phone ? I know the percent is not large but what if 5% of guests cannot or do not use cell phones or computers for vacation planning? How is this MM+ going to squeeze revenue from the 5%?

Honestly I am not an IT person at all but I don't think they wrote slick enough software for their existing resort and park and dvc computer systems to make MM+ a revenue and profit success...

What do you think?

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Let's see...

When you get to the park, head to one of the kiosks.. from there you can pick the attractions you don't want to wait on line for, and it will suggest times for you. If you don't like those times, you can customize them. When the time comes your your reservation, head to the attraction. Oh, you can do this on your smartphone too.

Not so difficult a concept to understand. Certainly more straight forward than "get a FP", yes you can get another FP, but not until your assigned time or 2hrs later.. whichever comes first. Where do you get a FP? At the attraction? No you can't get FPs for other attractions right now, you must wait. Yes you must goto the attraction to get the FP, even tho you aren't planning on riding right now. No you can't say when you want to ride.. you accept what they give you. How many can you get? It depends on the times and how active you are, etc.

3 FP per day... get them at once place... get it on your phone if you want. Dead simple.

There are more customizations, but the average user isn't burdened with them unless they want them. Linking of tickets is a one time task that will pull back over time as the stuff becomes more mainstream and you have things setup ahead of time.

It's what you don't like - not what's flawed. There's a difference.

A premise that would have made the old FP system 'fundamentally flawed' as well. If you argue there isn't enough capacity for 3 FPs per guest... that hasn't changed.. but in fact 'improves' that metric by adding more FP attractions. So if you want to cut FP+ off at the knees over 'it cant work for all guests for the attractions they wanted' - you should have been ing on the predecessor too, because it couldn't do it either, and was even LESS equipped to do it.

First, one should look at what I said was bunkus.. and try replying to that. But you were replying to my point about showing other angles your 'suggestions' failed to include. So no idea.

Second... here's a painfully obvious 'reason' to add FP to those attractions. You simply want more of your attractions in the online system. Not because you think people need to shorten their waits - but you want them in the tool period so your quiver looks more full and so you don't penalize attractions for being left out.

So you don't have to explain to dumb richard on the phone or at the kiosk "Yes sir, there are more than 5 rides in the park, but we only allow you to reserve those 5"

So you don't have to argue with dumb richard "Yes sir, there is a Mickey movie... but you don't need to cut the line because there isn't normally a line.."

Not every action is about the highest optimization of efficiency. There are aspects such as marketing, positioning, and simple influencing behavior. Yes, getting people to 'burn' a FP on attractions they might not otherwise need it is a waste for the advanced user, but not all users are advanced. Not every user knows when the best time to hit an attraction is.. nor should they need to. The FP system allows them to simply NOT CARE... freeing up the burden.

People moan about 'why do I want a FP for lunch' or whatever.. then turn around and complain about the long line.. or M&Gs.. and then turn around and post for 30 pages on what's the best time to see the Frozen characters.

For the super-user.. FP+ isn't needed for all things, they know of more efficient ways of doing it than FP+ offers at times. But that isn't for everyone... FP+ offers more than just shorter lines for these people. It's a guide, it simplifies the 'when/where' discussion, its a promotion tool for Disney, etc.

Doesn't match my experience for Nemo, F!, etc. The same can be said for TLM or Muppets when things are busy. But hey, if you don't feel you need a FP for an attraction - don't use it. In your examples the FP user isn't hurting you any either, since there was spare capacity that it didn't matter which line you went into, so why is it a negative for anyone?

Because you are dealing with a BUSINESS - not your best friend trying to tell you how to optimize your trip. Why is this hard to grasp? Disney is promoting attractions (just like they did with Bonus FPs) to try to entice people to go there. It's in Disney's interest (and everyone's to a degree) to ensure all attractions are being utilized... Not just a handful. To only put the most popular attractions into the online system would in fact re-enforce the problem of unequal usage. It's akin to the Bonus FP, or putting an attraction on the backside of the map handout.. attempts to promote the attraction so it's capacity is used.

And yet, he still offers 'pre-made' touring plans for the type of visitor you are too... why? Because again some people need the 'show me the turn key way' and aren't looking for max optimization.

Depending on what you are trying to accomplish. Disney's objectives and TP's are not the same... they aren't motivated by the same things, nor do they measure their success the same.

Again.. depends on whose chair you are sitting in.

I know it's hard for people to grasp at times... but not everything is done solely for the customer. Neither extreme is good for the end game of either party.

It's also a case of you get what you measure, Disney research showed the most 'satisfied' guests used 2.x FP's per day. So one of the motivators was to make sure EVERYBODY got that many FP's in a day. Of course the system was designed by people who DON'T visit the parks...

Oh well it's here and we are stuck with it, But I suspect IF I visit in 2014 I will be spending substantially less time (AND MONEY) in parks than years previous. I'm planning to let my premier passport expire in August

JimboJones123

What are your thoughts on "guest behavior" as far as people switching their FP+ selection when they arrive at an attraction and the wait time is short so they do standby and get on MDE and switch their FP+ to something else? It seems that people use this option frequently and Im wondering if Disney took into account how often people would use it. It could be a factor they underestimated and are now playing catch up to re-write their guest behavior algorithm.???
This is a biggie. Especially for anybody wanting a Fastpass with a mid afternoon arrival. They simply do not exist.

Cubfan300

Well I have many questions since you an IT person. I realize the FP+ program linked to a MB with RFID technology that can "track" me gives Disney a huge opportunity to collect tons of data on a guest(s) that can be used for marketing and upsell. But even if they collect that data, they have to do something with it. Which means all this data collection, and hopefully it isn't garbage in resulting in garbage out. Then it has to be analyzed and then they have to use the data for some purpose that will create revenue that results in profits and isn't there going to be a HUGE need for software and IT and marketing people to be able to do something with all this? I mean they spend a billion on this aren't they going to want to see maybe 5 or 10 billion at least as a ROI?

And if we look at how long TWDC has been playing with this NextGen stuff and creating the new website and writing code to implement MM+ and FP+ and where we are it with it 6 months after initial testing starting, do you think this is going to benefit the bottom line at WDW eventually in its current form? Personally I think they are going to have to keep raising ticket prices and room rates and the dining plan to PAY for MM+ .

Also what about the guest that doesn't use the cell phone ? I know the percent is not large but what if 5% of guests cannot or do not use cell phones or computers for vacation planning? How is this MM+ going to squeeze revenue from the 5%?

Honestly I am not an IT person at all but I don't think they wrote slick enough software for their existing resort and park and dvc computer systems to make MM+ a revenue and profit success...

What do you think?
Well, I will lead with, I am not a Disney employee, so this is just speculation. But, MM+, from my perspective is a capital improvement that will take years to see a profit. We obviously can only see the client facing potions of the application, so it is hard to tell how all developed it is, but from my initial use and from reading use reports, it seems to be doing is job well. You probably wonder how I can say that, but as a programmer, you are often writing code in a bubble. You have a requirement from management that says, "I need the program to do X.". So, you write the code for it to do that. Another programmer has the requirement for the program to do Y. If X and Y need to share data between them, the both programmers better be working from the same programming standard, which sometimes just doesn't happen. Everyone has their own style and two pieces of code, both well written, do not share the data needed, which is a bug. A program this size, when it is first tested, without any load on it, can generate, hundreds or even thousands, of bugs. That is an Alpha test. Then there are applications out there that help you simulate the load that you expect from the numbers of users you expect to have. With Disney, that will be upwards to hundreds of thousands of simultaneous users. People in the parks scanning their MBs, CMs taking reservations on the phone, people creating reservations on their computers, people at the kiosks trying to select FPs, people on their cell phones changing their FPs, etc. You can run simulations on all those transactions with the load software, but the programmers can't always anticipate the choices that some people will make or the order that they make them. That is what Beta testing is for. That period between August 2013 and January 2014, sheet Disney let people start using the system in small groups, first a few on-site guests at a few resorts, them more, until you get to today, where every guest is now using it to a point, all the while, programmers have been getting daily bug reports of problems experienced.
I think that the program, to this point, had been operating quite well. A rollout of this magnitude, in this short of a timeframe, is quite remarkable. And we don't really know what else may be under the hood that Disney still has yet to release. I am pretty confident that park hopping is next. The existing ticket sales for park hoppers is revenue they cannot lose.
How do they get the return on investment (ROI) you asked? Well I gave this some thought overnight and one conclusion that I keep coming to is that they can sell this data to other companies. Again Disney doesn't really care what Joe Smith does in the parks on a daily basis. They do... but they don't, you know. They want to know what thousands of people do in the parks over time. That is Human Behavior, and companies will shell out big bucks to get data that tells them that people that do A, also do B, then C. That is how business markets to a consumer. By understanding large group behavior, they can tailor advertising that is predictive to how you will react. Something as inoculous as riding Space Mountain, followed by a Tylenol purchase at a kiosk 20 minutes later helps a drug manufacturer design their upcoming commercial at you. If I had to guess, that is the plan to profit off of this.

jlsHouston

@flynnibus , the grandkids could stick their card in a kiosk and get the paper FP. It was a pretty simple transaction. Making multiple choice selections is easy and fast for people with strong comprehension skills...FP+ is about multiple choice too. It is no longer a linear process like legacy was. Multiple choice/multi tasking can be challenging for people. Yes once it is done it is done (unless you want to change it) but I really don't think it is faster or easier for the average park visitor. If you pre-select FP+ prior to arrival at the park there is convenience over legacy and the old kiosk method.
And you are absolutely right. If TWDC doesn't address long lines at the entrances of the rides for FP+..really is destroying the image to both the experienced FP user and the newbies that this is not much better than stand by.
Do you think this advance reservation model you are talking about with FP+ is going to be a big upside revenue enhancer for WDW? Or do you see it as more of a redistribution throughout the parks of people spread out more equitably on the rides? Or both or none of the above?
And as far as structure...I guess when they lay out the choices for FP+ and it includes many more rides and attractions available than what legacy had kiosks for...but it is limited to 3 per day at one park, I guess that is a guide. I mean it is...I tend to see it more like a limitation but a guided structure does sound better.

So tell me DO YOU think FP+ is an improvement for the average guest? Do you think there are going to be both short term and long term benefits to FP+ for TWDC? And do you think those benefits will justify the cost of MM+?

flynnibus

Premium Member
@flynnibus , the grandkids could stick their card in a kiosk and get the paper FP. It was a pretty simple transaction. Making multiple choice selections is easy and fast for people with strong comprehension skills...FP+ is about multiple choice too. It is no longer a linear process like legacy was. Multiple choice/multi tasking can be challenging for people. Yes once it is done it is done (unless you want to change it) but I really don't think it is faster or easier for the average park visitor

I'm aware of all that.. but this is a skill set everyone masters and the system is built for now going forward.. not to reach backwards. If you can manage an ATM withdraw... you can manage this. And while this is a small negative to some, the other pros far far far outweigh the other negatives of the old distribution model.. which was the point of the posts.

Do you think this advance reservation model you are talking about with FP+ is going to be a big upside revenue enhancer for WDW? Or do you see it as more of a redistribution throughout the parks of people spread out more equitably on the rides? Or both or none of the above?

FP+ itself is not going to be a revenue enhancer - but FP+ does not stand alone. This was a wholistic systems upgrade that integrated many systems that over time Disney will continue to roll products out with. FP+ is just ONE product enabled with the new technology. I think the justifications behind FP+ are multi-faceted, and no, not all are "customer first". But one must step back and look at the whole and how the shape is changing, not get fixated on one piece.

So tell me DO YOU think FP+ is an improvement for the average guest? Do you think there are going to be both short term and long term benefits to FP+ for TWDC? And do you think those benefits will justify the cost of MM+?

FP+ has the potential to be IMO. But like the old FP system, it's value depends highly on Disney's implementation choices.... choices they can change on a whim and we have no say in. So I find it pointless to try to determine if the system is good or bad.. because it's outcomes rely so heavily on the operator (Disney). I can speak towards the potential, and what it offers or not.. but the end result? Tough to corner... Just like ADRs... a simple good concept, that can be ruined depending on the implementation.

Personally I think most of the hype around FP+ is overblown... It's the classic case of 'you took something away from me, so I'm mad' where people are limited to 3 per park. That fact alone outweighs everything else for most people in these online communities who generally were the type that could maximize FP use. For ages people complained "just take FP away..." and here Disney does all kinds of things that effectively limit the use of FP for attractions... and people still complain even tho the effect is actually in the direction they were advocating. I'm tired of trying to explain the potentials or impacts because people can't see beyond the tip of their nose. I'm just going to sit back and let them have their tantrums and spent their energy. 2 or so years from now when the dust has settled, I'm sure you'll see entirely different complaints and attitudes.

Space Mountain

@flynnibus ,
So tell me DO YOU think FP+ is an improvement for the average guest?

98% or more of our Guests who are first time visitors review highly of this system in place. Even return Day-Guests give a positive review over 95%. Annual Passholders and Florida Residents are in opposition of the system. But don't worry, positive changes will be coming for you too, to help boost those ratings. And remember, once you have a MagicBand you can still pre-engage ahead of time for FP+ selections.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
How do they get the return on investment (ROI) you asked? Well I gave this some thought overnight and one conclusion that I keep coming to is that they can sell this data to other companies. Again Disney doesn't really care what Joe Smith does in the parks on a daily basis. They do... but they don't, you know. They want to know what thousands of people do in the parks over time. That is Human Behavior, and companies will shell out big bucks to get data that tells them that people that do A, also do B, then C. .

I remember when the congressman highly questioned the Disney data collection. Disney danced around the data collection and stated who would and would not have access to this data. We all also thought yeah but those rules could change at any time (hello Facebook) and when you actually try to read the Disney agreement that you "agree" to before proceeding, you really need an attorney well versed in protected data to comprehend everything stated in that long release we agree to.

I know what you say is true. I own my own small business. Sam's Club clerk renamed my business, really I didn't care, it was close, it is a corporate account and flies with the IRS, beyond that I've left it all these years as is. I receive mail offers and phone solicitations along with email offers all the time from insurance to auto's to internet cable services addressed to the weird version of my business name. This has been going on for years and receive several per week and my business is small potatoes.

jlsHouston

@Cubfan300 , Thank you for taking the time to explain this technology to me. I am not an IT person at all and while I am pretty quick learning software apps I basically still have issues with cut and paste on windows after all these years..After the problems we experienced this past November with the MB's linking properly to the room reservation it dawned on me that this endeavor by TWDC is a HUGE undertaking from a code standpoint.

And from a user standpoint I have been looking at the software involved in MM+ as kind of a failure. Maybe I am wrong to do so because as you pointed out much of what has been rolled out for users the percent of it working versus the glitches may be considered a success. Over the years I have seen applications that I use daily go from working extremely well and quickly to very slow....I was once told it was the hardware that would always have issues keeping up with the algorithms of code anyways...of course it was a software engineer defending the speed of his program that just got updated I was complaining about...

I don't know much about the inner and historical workings of TWDC, but I would still be surprised if there has been discussion about selling data collected about guests group behavior in a theme park to vendors or potentially competitors. After all TWDC is an entertainment company....and all their growth and acquisitions has just expanded this sector.

Their has been some conjecture from OP's in this forum that MM+ is part of a Blue Ocean strategy. What do you think about that?

jlsHouston

98% or more of our Guests who are first time visitors review highly of this system in place. Even return Day-Guests give a positive review over 95%. Annual Passholders and Florida Residents are in opposition of the system. But don't worry, positive changes will be coming for you too, to help boost those ratings. And remember, once you have a MagicBand you can still pre-engage ahead of time for FP+ selections.

I have lots of magic bands...I stayed on property in November and split my stay so I got 2 colors then and am on my way back with another split stay so I am up to 4 colors for me....

I only used FP+ while I was on property in November, never bothered with legacy because I am not a park commando anyways. I have an aversion to waiting in a line...also I get tired of crowds easily so I don't spend alot of time in the parks. While I liked some aspects of FP+, some features I thought were kind of a crappy trade off for the convenience of pre scheduling.

I have been able to book FP+ times with or without a current reservation since November too...so I guess you could say I have had full access to FP+ for a while now.

Goofyernmost

@Cubfan300 , Thank you for taking the time to explain this technology to me. I am not an IT person at all and while I am pretty quick learning software apps I basically still have issues with cut and paste on windows after all these years..After the problems we experienced this past November with the MB's linking properly to the room reservation it dawned on me that this endeavor by TWDC is a HUGE undertaking from a code standpoint.

And from a user standpoint I have been looking at the software involved in MM+ as kind of a failure. Maybe I am wrong to do so because as you pointed out much of what has been rolled out for users the percent of it working versus the glitches may be considered a success. Over the years I have seen applications that I use daily go from working extremely well and quickly to very slow....I was once told it was the hardware that would always have issues keeping up with the algorithms of code anyways...of course it was a software engineer defending the speed of his program that just got updated I was complaining about...

I don't know much about the inner and historical workings of TWDC, but I would still be surprised if there has been discussion about selling data collected about guests group behavior in a theme park to vendors or potentially competitors. After all TWDC is an entertainment company....and all their growth and acquisitions has just expanded this sector.

Their has been some conjecture from OP's in this forum that MM+ is part of a Blue Ocean strategy. What do you think about that?
I just don't see Disney selling that information. It is to their benefit to know what their guests are doing and what attracts them, but, it seems to me to be useless to anyone else. It's also unlikely that Disney would want to share the internal operation information with a possible competitor.

jlsHouston

I can't put a magic band in my wallet. I want to be able to just up and decide to go. Not drive home first to get my "magical" bracelet.

HAHAHA...I was surprised I didn't find the band annoying but the material feels quality actually and it didn't bother my wrist and I liked the idea of color coordinating it with what I was wearing after I thought about it. What I didn't like was using it to open the hotel door or pay for things or enter the park... Those transactions were awkward and it was much easier for me to whip out a card and do all those things....I like cards better too...the bands were okay but still prefer the cards.

Cubfan300

Wow...let me preface that I had to look up Blue Ocean strategy. My life has been largely technical and without a business degree, economic theory books from Harvard don't regularly make their way into my life. :-0
That said, I think that a company the size of TWDC that has diverse holdings has the capability of revolutionizing their products in such a way, but I don't think that this is the case. They are trying to squeeze dollars out of the market for their theme park business. 1.5 B is not a lot of money these days for a company to spend on a long term capital expenditure. Cowboys Stadium cost that much and it gets used 10 times a year for football (2 preseason, 8 regular season, 0 playoffs), that's it. :)

RSoxNo1

Personally I think most of the hype around FP+ is overblown... It's the classic case of 'you took something away from me, so I'm mad' where people are limited to 3 per park. That fact alone outweighs everything else for most people in these online communities who generally were the type that could maximize FP use. For ages people complained "just take FP away..." and here Disney does all kinds of things that effectively limit the use of FP for attractions... and people still complain even tho the effect is actually in the direction they were advocating. I'm tired of trying to explain the potentials or impacts because people can't see beyond the tip of their nose. I'm just going to sit back and let them have their tantrums and spent their energy. 2 or so years from now when the dust has settled, I'm sure you'll see entirely different complaints and attitudes.
My biggest gripe with FP+ is that it's applied where I don't think it needs to be applied. I love the idea of being able to pull up Fastpasses on my phone, but my concern too is that advanced bookings will reduce availability same day and destroy that advantage.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member

Just curious, where did those numbers come from? I visited 3 times since MB's have been rolled out and I have never been asked to do a survey or seen someone else being surveyed about them. According to those numbers, only 2 people out of every 100 gave a negative review?

When Disney will not give out any financial numbers pertaining to MM+ (especially to Wall Street) or the way they guard park attendance numbers, or any of their other percentages, Im skeptical when theyre quick to announce, "98% or more of our Guests who are first time visitors review highly of this system in place". Its the same spin as the "MK accommodated 3,000 additional people" (if your post was sarcasm, please forgive my questions)

Last edited:

Cubfan300

I just don't see Disney selling that information. It is to their benefit to know what their guests are doing and what attracts them, but, it seems to me to be useless to anyone else. It's also unlikely that Disney would want to share the internal operation information with a possible competitor.
They wouldn't sell the internal operation information to a competitor, but they would sell raw data about milk consumption to the American Dairy Association regarding how many half pints of milk were sold (as opposed to water, soda, beer, etc) on a day where 20k people were in MK and it was 85 degrees out. Trust me, that with MBs they are collecting that data easily. Next thing you know, you see a billboard on I-4 that shows a cute 8 year old girl with a glass of milk to her lips with a bright yellow/orange background. Milk, it does a body good.

roj2323

HAHAHA...I was surprised I didn't find the band annoying but the material feels quality actually and it didn't bother my wrist and I liked the idea of color coordinating it with what I was wearing after I thought about it. What I didn't like was using it to open the hotel door or pay for things or enter the park... Those transactions were awkward and it was much easier for me to whip out a card and do all those things....I like cards better too...the bands were okay but still prefer the cards.

Lets not forget they can track you to within 2 feet or less anywhere in the park. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if they could tell you what toilet stall someone used and at what time.

Cubfan300

Just curious, where did those numbers come from? I visited 3 times since MB's have been rolled out and I have never been asked to do a survey or seen someone else being surveyed about them. According to those numbers, only 2 people out of every 100 gave a negative review?

When Disney will not give out any financial numbers pertaining to MM+ (especially to Wall Street) or the way they guard park attendance numbers, or any of their other percentages, Im skeptical when theyre quick to announce, "98% or more of our Guests who are first time visitors review highly of this system in place". Its the same spin as the "MK accommodated 3,000 additional people"
Was emailed a LONG survey from Disney after our trip in September. Literally took 30 minutes to complete.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom