Lines at the FP+ entrances

flynnibus

Premium Member
So then Disney is making my FP+ choices for me?

So I've abdicated my decision-making to Disney?

Maybe I should let them quick pick my hotels and restaurants as well?

I don't mean to be antagonistic but it seems a bit silly to me to suggest that guests are somehow better served by letting Disney decide, which is exactly what the quick pick option is.

But you are being melodramatic. The workflow is easy.. pick what you want to ride.. and it gives you several options to pick for that set. DONE. Now the advanced guy wants to go in and tweak those... but you are picking the attractions (not Disney.. unless you don't pick 3) and Disney has streamlined the workflow with the options to make the choices simpler for the bulk of users. Instead of back and forth and trying to refit things - you get simple options to pick from.

Unless you are advocating that picking three attractions to ride is somehow over burdensome for people?

This simply is not true.

The legacy FP system was simpler because the decision of which attraction to select is made one at a time, and before ever arriving at the legacy FP kiosk.

Did the last 15 years of 'the average guest does not understand FP' just magically disappear??

Is the idea of a planning out 2-3 points of your day so obscenely hard that no one does it and instead roam aimlessly until their drop from hunger or lack of energy? Come on...

FP+ complicates this because it compresses this decision-making process for an entire day into a single transaction.

You act like the system is asking the people to name their next three unborn children. It's simply 'what do you want to visit today'? No one is locked in and no one dies if it doesn't happen.

So it would be even simpler if Disney decided which restaurant I ate at, what time I ate there, and, while I’m at it, let them decide what I should eat?

Funny - isn't that exactly what the majority of Seeking Help with Disney Dining and touring threads are about? People seeking advice on where to go, when, and what to get? Again... lots of choices, people are seeking guidance to navigate the many possibilities. That's why streamlining for the guest is not just about reducing steps, but about reducing the daunting overload of choices for many guests too.

Disneyfamily4

Just curious, where did those numbers come from? I visited 3 times since MB's have been rolled out and I have never been asked to do a survey or seen someone else being surveyed about them. According to those numbers, only 2 people out of every 100 gave a negative review?

When Disney will not give out any financial numbers pertaining to MM+ (especially to Wall Street) or the way they guard park attendance numbers, or any of their other percentages, Im skeptical when theyre quick to announce, "98% or more of our Guests who are first time visitors review highly of this system in place". Its the same spin as the "MK accommodated 3,000 additional people" (if your post was sarcasm, please forgive my questions)

Even if there was a survey, Disney would not release the numbers until after the Peak Season guests get tallied in there. If they did release stats without the Peak Crowd input, it would then appear they are disguising the overall opinions.

Goofyernmost

Lets not forget they can track you to within 2 feet or less anywhere in the park. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if they could tell you what toilet stall someone used and at what time.
A little over the top there don't you think. They can track you but only where there are receivers and they are spaced out to indicate where the crowds are gathering. I doubt they would waste millions of dollars to understand your toilet habits. Always remember that Disney always been able to follow you around via camera's. They were, maybe still are, all over the parks. You have always been tracked, now though you don't have to feel the need to be well dressed.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Lets not forget they can track you to within 2 feet or less anywhere in the park. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if they could tell you what toilet stall someone used and at what time.

Theory and practice are two different things. No need to claim your speculation as actually happening.

jlsHouston

Competitors...no. Vendors and pavilion sponsors? I can totally see them sharing the info with them.

Really? Maybe you are right... my take on TWDC since they got all the ABC people back in the 80's is the company slowly evolved from a "family" type of benevolency operation with fairly clear vision and principles established by the founders to leadership that lacked Walt and Roys synergy and entrepreneurship to a successful, dysfuntional, Queen of Hearts leader where the managers and employees never knew from day to day which head was rolling next, and has now evolved to it's current form of whatever keeps the stock price up works for our company vision.
I just find it hard to conceive TWDC doing anything these days that might smack of empowerment whether it being with employees or vendors and partners...

Goofyernmost

I suppose since I was an AP holder and stayed DVC they wouldnt care for my opinion. lol. I just double checked my email for the last month and my spam folder, nothing. Thanks for your response though. I figured it was an email survey.

Since you seem very knowledgeable of the subject, I have a question. I have read about other companies who collect data on customers (Target, cell phone companies) and assist police with investigations. Do you think Disney will do the same? Are companies legally obligated to assist authorities and give up the info they have?
They stopped me on the way into Epcot and asked if I would be willing to do a survey. Asked for my email address and about a week after I got back home they sent it to me. It didn't really seem to me to be leaning one way or the other, there were many diverse responses that could be checked off plus comment areas.

Goofyernmost

Competitors...no. Vendors and pavilion sponsors? I can totally see them sharing the info with them.
Well, pavilion sponsors, perhaps I can see that but, giving out that information to Vendors seems like a stretch to me. What would the need to know be when anything that Disney purchases would require authorization from Disney to purchase?

Goofyernmost

Which is exactly why the system DOESN'T present all the options and instead gives the quick pick choices as the defaults.

You're advocating that the buried advance menu is too difficult for some.. which is exactly why it's buried and not the default.

Disney IS giving simplier choices to make it streamlined for people... yet people keep focusing on the 'choice for highest optimization path' and arguing the streamlined path is not that. Yes... intentionally.
When I went to Disney a couple of weeks ago I was determined to find out everything I could about FP+ that I could along with how it worked for those of us that stay offsite.

Now that we are discussing it here, I find that I didn't think about the next level. I went up the screen showed what I believe were all the possible FP+ distribution possibilities. I scrolled through and checked the three that I thought might be the hardest to get, plus I wanted to go to them. You don't know until you are done choosing what times you end up with. To my surprise the three I wanted were available starting about 40 minutes from when I got them, the next one an hour later and the next in another hour. Because of that I had no reason to take it further. If I had gotten one that conflicted with other plans, ADR for example, I would have to then ask for a different time for the conflicting FP. I should have intentionally done that just to see how it worked, but, I didn't have a conflict so it never occurred to me.

So basically, as best I understand it, you make three choices of what you want to see. If one or more of those have been maximum issued then you have to forget that one and choose a different attraction. (just like you would have under the old system when the FP's were gone). If the time issued doesn't work, then you ask for a different time. (something that was much more difficult a total hassle under the old method) and take that one. If no times line up for you then you find a different attraction. (the old system told you the time frame being issued at the time you were at the kiosk, if they didn't work for you, you had to keep going back until it did) Yea, that's simple alright. As cynical as I am, and I am, it seems like a no brainer how much easier this is and how much less effort it takes to set up and use throughout the day. What it boils down to is the 3 only restriction that this places on the Guests. I didn't need anymore then three and the way it worked I saw more attractions in a short time span then I had done in a long time. You had all your times as you started your day. It was easy to decide which standby lines would work for you and uber simple to plan your path and your day.

jlsHouston

@flynnibus is annoyed the thought of a large number of guests can't get the concept of something so basic to him...or would struggle with it...
Both @flynnibus and @ParentsOf4 and GOD knows how many more of you already had concluded the app gives you best choice and 3 options for your FP picks is a manuever BY Disney to put the "structure" into the selection process and make it as efficient as possible...the dummy 101 version of something new. This aspect of the app just dawned on me reading y'alls post.
All of y'all who "get" what the technology is currently doing and what it potentially can do are so many steps beyond what I bet is over half the visiting guests to WDW. I am not completely dense but this is not the trucking business so it is new stuff to me. Just look at how y'all can look at an app and see how much more can be added or limited with it..normal people don't think like you guys do... Most people are not bold but hesitant when new procedures are presented. Y'all absorb, analyze and spit it out conclusions like you are tying shoes.

Lord_Vader

Join me, together we can rule the galaxy.
I can't put a magic band in my wallet. I want to be able to just up and decide to go. Not drive home first to get my "magical" bracelet.

Once you have your MB, you are granted the option to use FP+ and the band but are free to continue using your AP card. You can still up and decide to go without needing a band.

Lord_Vader

Join me, together we can rule the galaxy.
@flynnibus is annoyed the thought of a large number of guests can't get the concept of something so basic to him...or would struggle with it...
Both @flynnibus and @ParentsOf4 and GOD knows how many more of you already had concluded the app gives you best choice and 3 options for your FP picks is a manuever BY Disney to put the "structure" into the selection process and make it as efficient as possible...the dummy 101 version of something new. This aspect of the app just dawned on me reading y'alls post.
All of y'all who "get" what the technology is currently doing and what it potentially can do are so many steps beyond what I bet is over half the visiting guests to WDW. I am not completely dense but this is not the trucking business so it is new stuff to me. Just look at how y'all can look at an app and see how much more can be added or limited with it..normal people don't think like you guys do... Most people are not bold but hesitant when new procedures are presented. Y'all absorb, analyze and spit it out conclusions like you are tying shoes.

Yesterday I sat down with a single mom and her two children, 10 & 13 as she asked for my help. It took me a moment to help her log in to MDE, her reservation was already in MDE as it matched her email address. The app showed she needed to customize her MBs, the kids were excited to pick their colors and then start selecting their rides. The limit of help she needed from me was more of a crutch in case she needed help or had a question, I simply helped guide them with the very basics only because she wanted to wait, not a technical person at all and knew my wife & I have been many times.

After a few minutes, the three of them ran with it, made their FP+ choices for spring break with no assistance from me at all. In fact, her 10 & 13yo children were running the app almost from the beginning with no issues.

jlsHouston

Yesterday I sat down with a single mom and her two children, 10 & 13 as she asked for my help. It took me a moment to help her log in to MDE, her reservation was already in MDE as it matched her email address. The app showed she needed to customize her MBs, the kids were excited to pick their colors and then start selecting their rides. The limit of help she needed from me was more of a crutch in case she needed help or had a question, I simply helped guide them with the very basics only because she wanted to wait, not a technical person at all and knew my wife & I have been many times.

After a few minutes, the three of them ran with it, made their FP+ choices for spring break with no assistance from me at all. In fact, her 10 & 13yo children were running the app almost from the beginning with no issues.

Yes I totally agree the app on your phone or computer is simple to maneuver. Not sure about the ease at the kiosks in the parks. I would assume it is the same format. I think some people have needed no assistance using the app but others have and alot of it just like you said, a hesitancy related to a persons comfort level.

Tom Morrow

The biggest line-related issue with Fastpass Plus is not at all the lines to enter the Fastpass queues. What you're seeing and assuming: "OMG the Fastpass line is all the way out the door and down the walkway!" But the reality is that the same amount of people are using the Fastpass line (or often now, less than before), but you wait a bit longer to check in vs. waiting that long once inside. The actual waiting isn't any different or is less than before.

The real problem is waiting in line to set up your Fastpasses. Wait times to book your Fastpasses are reaching 30 minutes. And in that time you have no clue what will be available for you when you get to the kiosk. There simply aren't enough kiosks or locations for this to work well. Also, each party spends 3-5 minutes at the kiosk trying to set up their day and tweak it to attempt to get what they want. To make matters worse, the iPads some CM's are using to schedule Fastpasses seem ridiculously slow, each button click means 10-20 seconds of waiting to perform that action. The actual permanent kiosks seem faster, but the touch screens are terrible and not responsive, which also slows everything down.

Honestly, it's like they never once tested out any of this equipment to see if it could handle Disney park crowds.

Redhawk

I agree about the FP lines -- they've moved from inside the FP queue to outside the FP Entrances. Stupid waste of space, and may give some guests the impression that the FP line is backed up all the way to ride load, which may appear longer than the Standby line. I found a few backed up FP entrance lines in January, but as soon as I got through the first scanner the ride was basically a walk-on. Only Test Track had a several-minute FP wait inside the actual ride building.

jlsHouston

I don't know how Disney would even be able to sort through a minute by minute tracking of guests??? You could probably come up with traffic models and stuf like that but I doubt any really useful would be collected. I really haven't come up with a good reason Disney spent so much money on a system that is going to pay off how????
I don't either but it is a guarantee there are spreadsheets and all kinds of internal documentation TWDC has showing the ROI on MM+.

jlsHouston

The biggest line-related issue with Fastpass Plus is not at all the lines to enter the Fastpass queues. What you're seeing and assuming: "OMG the Fastpass line is all the way out the door and down the walkway!" But the reality is that the same amount of people are using the Fastpass line (or often now, less than before), but you wait a bit longer to check in vs. waiting that long once inside. The actual waiting isn't any different or is less than before.

The real problem is waiting in line to set up your Fastpasses. Wait times to book your Fastpasses are reaching 30 minutes. And in that time you have no clue what will be available for you when you get to the kiosk. There simply aren't enough kiosks or locations for this to work well. Also, each party spends 3-5 minutes at the kiosk trying to set up their day and tweak it to attempt to get what they want. To make matters worse, the iPads some CM's are using to schedule Fastpasses seem ridiculously slow, each button click means 10-20 seconds of waiting to perform that action. The actual permanent kiosks seem faster, but the touch screens are terrible and not responsive, which also slows everything down.

Honestly, it's like they never once tested out any of this equipment to see if it could handle Disney park crowds.

The last 2 days I was at the Dolphin in November was the only time I did the FP+ selection with CM's and an IPAD...and ONLY Dolphin/Swan were able to do that so there was no waiting so to speak. I had a feeling kiosks for FP+ were going to eventually resemble 100 Brazilians at a legacy kiosk..o_O

flynnibus

Premium Member
I don't know how Disney would even be able to sort through a minute by minute tracking of guests???

There are lots of ways you can slice this to get 'they are tracking you' and be legit... there is just the practicality of it and motivation behind it or not. It is also different to say 'they are tracking you all the time' (tracking everyone all the time) vs saying 'they can track you' (aka selectively localize and track).

I wouldn't be suprised if they save all the samples from a user... but the more interesting data is the picture in aggregate, vs the individual.

This is 'big data', but much bigger stuff has been done before... notable with ISPs like AOL who would track almost everything their users did.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom