Lines at the FP+ entrances

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
BUT FP+ is spread so thin and of so little value, I don't think it's going to be much of a draw for anyone to stay onsite. We've been thinking of going offsite after our next trip, and getting early reservation access to a single FP+ of value at HS/Epcot and 3 a day at MK (way too little) or AK (where we've never needed them anyway) isn't remotely valuable enough for us to even be a factor in the decision. I agree with your numbers, but not the underlying assumption: I don't think WDW hotels are going to see any increase in occupancy because of the earlier access to FP+ that an onsite stay offers. To the contrary, with the constant cost increases in ticket prices and hotel stays (and the corresponding lack of new attractions until Avatarland opens), I think occupancy may go down unless WDW is able to compensate by enticing guests with discount offers.

I think Disney needs to hire some good actuaries and recompute room pricing as they keep piling on price increases until no one wants to stay there unless they get a 'Discount' non-US guests get huge discounts on room/dining/ticket prices, I'd wager that the majority of guests at any point in time are non-US, But the US guests are paying rack rates for lodging/dining/tickets.

Making the 'street think that EVERYONE is paying these prices. I wonder how many of these so called 'Analysts' are actually doing anything other than reading pressers and SEC filings.

KatMaria

Would really like to know where all the information for buying magic bands is at?!?
Not official. Apparently there was an interview somewhere with Staggs saying it would be MB for sale for offsite but I haven't seen it just heard it about it through the grapevine. Makes sense to charge for MB though.

FerretAfros

During a financial report about 2 years ago they discussed possibly having Magic Bands for sale to off-site guests. However, there has never been any discussion (at least publically) about charging extra for FP+ privileges; the extra cost Magic Band would simply be a different form of entry/FP media with the same perks that any other off-site guest would have

That way, Disney gets to make money on something that's entirely unnecessary and then convince guests that they also need to buy things to decorate their new MBs with. Marketing genius!

alissafalco

During a financial report about 2 years ago they discussed possibly having Magic Bands for sale to off-site guests. However, there has never been any discussion (at least publically) about charging extra for FP+ privileges; the extra cost Magic Band would simply be a different form of entry/FP media with the same perks that any other off-site guest would have

That way, Disney gets to make money on something that's entirely unnecessary and then convince guests that they also need to buy things to decorate their new MBs with. Marketing genius!
Um yeah no thanks, you can keep your MB

culturenthrills

We'll as a local AP holder I hate it. Used to be you could go to MK in the late afternoon and rides like HM, POTC and IASW would be 10-15 min waits sometimes walkon now if the park is even a little bit busy we are now seeing 30 minute waits for these rides that never used to have them. The only good thing I have seen from FP+ is being able to get TSMM and Soarin FP in advance but it has totally screwed with the standby lines at MK.

71jason

Interesting, but Disneyfamily4 seems to have a lot more specific detail than that. Not doubting the rumor--I've said before this seems inevitable, only thing not easy to believe is that it wouldn't be $15 per day--but would like to know the source to evaluate.

Disneyfamily4

Would really like to know where all the information for buying magic bands is at?!?

It's on several different sites, but the only site I would trust to post here is adisneyworldafterall. Rumors say March or April or sooner rather than later, because of the anticipated lines at the kiosks at that time of year. So we shall see.

Disneyfamily4

Do you know if this charge is supposed to allow advance FP+ indefinitely, or just for the initial trip?

In other words, are these Magic Bands "lifetime free refill", or "length of stay"? If they are lifetime, will it say so on the bands? Or will people be disgruntled in a few years when the "Rapid Reserve" system rolls out in an attempt to prevent unauthorized pre-booking by offsite guests? Will there be any documentation to prove that they were lifetime bands?

OK, the first question really was serious. The rest you can make up your mind.

To me, hearing how it sounds, it seams it will be a one time useage. It would be 15 bucks per trip to allow you to make reservations in advance to draw people away from lines at the kiosks.

joannecasey

Can anyone tell me how the new Fast Pass + works for guests who stay off site ? I have looked in so many different places but keep seeing different answers. Thanks :)

flynnibus

Premium Member
Can anyone tell me how the new Fast Pass + works for guests who stay off site ? I have looked in so many different places but keep seeing different answers. Thanks :)

Currently - they can use fp+ in the parks day of via kiosk.

What it will be in the future... Is unknown

joannecasey

Thanks for the answer ! So that means I wouldn't get to pick any rides ahead of time. That stinks .. all the good ones would probably be gone the day of :( oh well ... I'm still at Disney so I'll take it !

stevehousse

Thanks for the answer ! So that means I wouldn't get to pick any rides ahead of time. That stinks .. all the good ones would probably be gone the day of :( oh well ... I'm still at Disney so I'll take it !
Don't get too upset! There is another thread on here with people saying they r staying offsite and have tickets linked and that the site says they can make FP+ picks starting on X day...let's see what happens!

PrincessNelly_NJ

Yes, threads on another forum are reporting that offsite guest are being allowed to book FP+ 60 days out from their ADRs as long as their dates fall on or after after April 7th.

joannecasey

60 days out isn't so bad ! I actually sent in a question to Disney's Mom's Panel who I thought would be able to answer that question for sure ... I also spoke to someone on Live Chat right on the Disney website, but they both gave me very vague answers. They didn't really seem sure at all how that was going to work.

flynnibus

Premium Member
60 days out isn't so bad ! I actually sent in a question to Disney's Mom's Panel who I thought would be able to answer that question for sure ... I also spoke to someone on Live Chat right on the Disney website, but they both gave me very vague answers. They didn't really seem sure at all how that was going to work.

Those channels will only give 'official' disney answers. Disney hasn't made any official statements beyond 'day of' use at this point.

piccolopat

Yes, I believe annual pass holders and people who stay in the resorts deserve more than the guests who don't spend nearly as much and rent a condo/villa or hotel room outside of Disney. Why should I have the same amount of fast passes after spending 4000, then the person next to me, who spent 1000 and is at hotel room?
I agree that Disney should give some extra benefits to people staying onsite. However I don't think it should be tied to how much you spend on your room. That is, I don't think someone staying at the Grand Floridian should get more fast passes than someone staying at All Star. The reason is that what you pay for your accommodations is just that - money spent to sleep at a resort with certain amenities and a specific location.

dstrawn9889

What if the magicband is a stepping stone to something better.

Imagine a visual camera system around the front gate and throughout the park that uses the magicband positioning system to determine what guests had snuck in the front gate. This would let guests walk right in the front gate without scanning anything. Same thing for using actual fastpasses. Paying for stuff would be much more difficult to do, but I could also see this method beig used on buses too. Ex charging non resort guests for transportation.

The mymagic+ is upgradeable. That is probably the best use for it from a business standpoint.

you mean like they do now? that medium range RFID chip used to attach ride pictures can easily (and probably already doing back-checks) every entrance also has a halo around it of some sort, would it not be feasable to add an antenna there to pickup medium range rf tags, to checksum the gate? also on ride photos also check the DB, and if not marked there, i would assume it would add you to the park, instead of erroring out... cheap backup to the gate readers, since it is already in place.

flynnibus

Premium Member
the park entrances are a lot harder because of the people density and chaotic movement if it's an open space. It's very easy to say 'bill was somewhere close' (like they would do for photopass) its a lot more intensive to say 'bill was right THERE.. and no not that guy in front of him..' .. and doing all of that in seconds. It's feasible.. but practical? Things are a LOT harder when people are stacked, different heights, etc. You really need to organize them and move them through a control space to make it more practical.

Disney opt'd to have each guest still get physically checked... vs moving them through bigger cattle shoots where their tickets could be read autonomously.

Adding facial recognition to ensure a pass hasn't been redistributed is necessary to elminate the per-guest check Disney has now. And that has a lot of it's own challenges.. especially in a theme park environment.

Again.. theoretical.. but how practical and at what success rate?

Checking at the FP entrance is a lot easier... but again I think the biggest problem is not checking people, but rather getting the anomalies out of the way so they don't hold up the normal line. Adding difficulty to that is that the anomaly could be part of a group.. and not necessarily the first one in a group.. etc.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom