Line Jumpers/Line Stallers

danyoung56

Not at all. It's just a lemming type behavior that a person paying attention can take advantage of. Am I going to explain to all those people "Hey, you can use both sides"? Or am I just going to get in what is actually a valid line and get my food? Yeah, I'm stepping in front of some folks. But it's experience at work, not rudeness.

Damon7777

I have walked up to Electric Umbrella and noticed one side was 4 transaction deep and the other side 0. I offered the next person in line opportunity to jump sides and go before me......hey guess what??

Surprise Surprise! They were very thankful of my offer and moved on over. Even the inept CM smiled and acknowledged that was the adult and polite move.

Last edited:

Damon7777

Am I going to explain to all those people "Hey, you can use both sides"

No, just offer it to the one in 2nd position. And from there things should start to balance by simple "passive transport"(to borrow a scientific phrase).
If no success then offer it to the 3rd one waiting..........after that then all bets are off and you did well enough already by leading thirsty camels to the water source. You can't make them drink.

Last edited:

Dave B

Let me give you a specific example. Many of the quick service restaurants at WDW have queues at the cash registers when you order your food. Each individual cash register has two lines. Invariably guests will line up in a single line as many as ten or twenty deep and leave the other line vacant. Now, am I supposed to tell each and every person in that line that they should form another line on the other side of the cash register? As Mr. Bernard points out, it's my responsibility to lead by example. Therefore I don't go to the end of the long queue. Instead I start a new line on the other side of the cash register and other people quickly learn and join me! Not only have I advanced in the queue more quickly than the other people in line, but I have also educated other guests as to how quick service food lines work. I am doubly rewarded and am often thanked by my fellow guests.

By the same token, it's not always a good idea to be "first" in a queue. For many attractions such as "It's Tough to Be a Bug" or "Soarin" (and many others) you must position yourself in the queue in a particular fashion in order to get the best seats. That requires that you work your party into a specific load pattern. And needless to say that it can sometimes be in your best interest to avoid getting on an attraction with other guests that have demonstrated their obnoxious behavior in the queue. Or you may wish to avoid people with poor hygiene that exhibit foul body odor.

Just as there are many ways to skin cats, there are many ways to advance in a queue.
Instead of positioning yourself, you can always ask the cast member to be seated in a certain section or seating area, I have never been told no, just that I might have to wait a couple minutes longer

Dave B

Caring for others, is subjective, I would stop and help a stranger in danger or in need of help, so yes I care about others, but I am not going to wait behind people that are not aware of their surroundings, or how things work, like another poster said, once they see me and they switch lines, they know now for the future. Time is valuable in the parks, sometimes those 10 minutes waiting could help get into another attraction or event later, 10 minutes here and there add up over the course of 10 days at the park

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
No, just offer it to the one in 2nd position. And from there things should start to balance by simple "passive transport"(to borrow a scientific phrase).
If no success then offer it to the 3rd one waiting..........after that then all bets are off and you did well enough already by leading thirsty camels to the water source. You can't make them drink.

You've never been to Disney World if you think this tactic would work. If people aren't intelligent enough to realize there are two sides to a line that's really nobody's problem but theirs. These are probably the same people who stop in the middle of the walk path to look at their maps or adjust their kids in their strollers or light their smokes.

You snooze you lose, if I see an opening I'm going to take it. If someone thinks less of me because I have knowledge of how lines work that they don't, oh well. :joyfull:

Damon7777

You've never been to Disney World if you think this tactic would work.

Looks like you missed my #132

It worked very well at Electric Umbrella(that's EPCOT in Futureworld)

And I've been to WDW about 225 to 250 times.....and it worked at Pecos Bill on another occasion.

StarWarsGirl

Line jumping:
If we're in a group, like in the library at TofT, or in a really wide queue, and you were behind me and now you're in front of me, I don't care in the least. It's not a huge deal if you get on the ride five minutes before me. If we just got in line and half your group is in front of me and half is behind, and you let me know politely, I'm more than happy to let those behind me through to catch up. If your wife is holding your spot in line and you're bipassing half the line with your two kids to catch up...yeah, that's a problem. That's called being a jerk.

Line holders: if you just didn't notice the line was moving, this is all that needs to happen: "The line is moving" "Oh, sorry, didn't realize, was looking at this fabulous queue." "No worries, it really is fabulous isn't it?" There is never a reason, ever, to push another guest in line.

Those taking pictures in line: I know, pictures are great; I drag my DSLR around WDW, so I get it. If you stop to take one in a line, though, make it quick or let others know they can pass you. If you can't do that...well, there's other spots for pictures!

Those double queue lines: I pick the queue line that's shortest. If you didn't know that was a line, that is not my problem. Just like if you didn't/couldn't use mobile order and I have and I'm now eating before you, again, not my problem (FYI, I've had people give me nasty looks when I've used mobile order and bypassed the line. Still...not my problem).

Phil12

Instead of positioning yourself, you can always ask the cast member to be seated in a certain section or seating area, I have never been told no, just that I might have to wait a couple minutes longer
Yes indeed that is true. It's just that I'm a "do it yourself" type of person. I only make requests of CM's for things that are out of my control. And besides it's fun to do the rapid and on the fly assessments needed in order to maneuver my party through a crowd in such a fashion so as to end up right in the perfect viewing area or be first in the bus queue! Situational awareness is important when dealing with and navigating large crowds. And, of course, time management is important. There are certain times of the day that some attractions are to be avoided at all costs and other times when the same attractions are walk-ons.

BrerJon

This is a strange thread. Why would anyone have a problem with people pausing in a line?

You still get to the ride at the same time. You could stand at the entrance to the cave in Flight of Passage, wait ten minutes without moving, then spend a minute walking up to fill the space, and you'd be exactly where you would have been without stopping, and still get on the ride half an hour after that.

It would only be an issue if for some reason the person stopped and the entire queue in front of them disappeared, but more often than not it will be backed up again in moments.

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
As long as we're keeping stats that's officially 2 for 2....not a bad start by any measure.

......not 2 out 250 like you insinuate.......but you're just being a funny poster which I applaud.

There's a definite lack of courtesy at WDW though. Then again who wants to be courteous to thousands of people who elbow, push, shove, and cut off or run over? I'm surprised you don't see line cutters in the QS registers like you do in the attractions. :joyfull:

thomas998

This is a strange thread. Why would anyone have a problem with people pausing in a line?

You still get to the ride at the same time. You could stand at the entrance to the cave in Flight of Passage, wait ten minutes without moving, then spend a minute walking up to fill the space, and you'd be exactly where you would have been without stopping, and still get on the ride half an hour after that.

It would only be an issue if for some reason the person stopped and the entire queue in front of them disappeared, but more often than not it will be backed up again in moments.
Generally it probably doesn't matter... but suppose you stop right at the entrance to the air conditioned or shaded part of the queue and wait for 10 minutes, do you really thing the people behind you want to wait in the hot Florida sun because you want to stop? Sorry but in that situation the people are probably going to walk around you or through you.

Damon7777

The biggest annoyances are the people who cut/move up faster than they should, and the people who never seem to realize that the line in front of them has moved up. Just wondering what some of you guys have seen and what you might have said/don

OK Raineman, here's the deal:

You have a legitimate gripe against line cutters. Why? Because line cutters cost us time

You have absolutely no legitimate gripe against those in the queue who leave gaps. Why? Because gap makers cost us no time(in damn near 100% of scenarios.....there are extreme select times when "gappers" could impact but that is not what you are talking about, is it?)

See, that's not too hard to figure.

Simple..... If it costs us, then it's an issue. If it doesn't cost us then it's a non-issue.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom