Line Jumpers/Line Stallers

Dave B

This is no way whatsoever the same thing at play.........are you for real with that?

One can not readily exit her car, thus leaving it unattended in a car payment booth lane and go knocking on other car doors in other lanes and inform drivers that empty lanes are available.
It is the exact same thing, no one is getting out of there cars, you can choose to pay on the left lane or the right lane, most people default to the driver side is what the OP is saying----They are talking about the entrance to the parks

Damon7777

no one is getting out of there cars,

Really?
Just curios as to how you can readily commentate to other queuing drivers about open lanes then without leaving your car.

I guess if you just happen to be carrying a megaphone like a SWAT negotiator towards a barricaded bank robber, then ya I see your point. Roll down your window and start informing the ignorant drivers who are unnecessarily lining up 12 deep.

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
Really?
Just curios as to how you can readily commentate to other queuing drivers about open lanes then without leaving your car.

I guess if you just happen to be carrying a megaphone like a SWAT negotiator towards a barricaded bank robber, then ya I see your point. Roll down your window and start informing the ignorant drivers who are unnecessarily lining up 12 deep.

What about people with 500 trays of food using DDP QS? They're also not going to leave their lines.

:joyfull::joyfull:

kelknight84

This is no way whatsoever the same thing at play.........are you for real with that?

One can not readily exit her car, thus leaving it unattended in a car payment booth lane and go knocking on other car doors in other lanes and inform drivers that empty lanes are available.
It's exactly the same thing. If someone is too dense to join an open/shorter line, why would I say anything?

Damon7777

why would I say anything?

Oh I dunno.......
could it be that maybe, just maybe, there is some honor in at least asking if the one in the food line would like to go ahead of you since he was there already waiting.

If your family member, friend, pastor, manicurist or cable installer, were too unaware would you inform or just pull that "survival of the fittest" and "natural selection" bs on them too?

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
This was basically the discussion I had with a co-worker today. It's the job of the cashier to control his/her line. And to be honest, I have been known to tell everyone about the 2nd line. But I'm under no obligation to do so. If I want to move to the head of the 2nd (empty) line, I'm not being at all rude if I do so.
To you, you're not being rude.

But if you polled everyone already in line that you bypass, I'll bet a Coke at last month's prices that you'd be found "rude."

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer

But if you polled everyone already in line that you bypass, I'll bet a Coke at last month's prices that you'd be found "rude."

So what.. They had the option to use both sides and have nobody to blame but themselves. If they take the opinion that someone else is rude because of an action that they themselves didn't take, I'd be happy to play a sad song on the world's smallest violin for them.

Last edited:

danyoung56

I agree with you. But my stand is it's not my responsibility to make sure that everyone knows everything. If they line up like lemmings in the left hand line, leaving the right hand line open, and I take advantage of that by getting into the empty line, well I just might tick a few people off. But I don't really care - I'm taking advantage of the system as designed by Disney. It's the same thing as a new turnstile opening at the front gate. Do I tell everyone that a new line is open, or do I move over and get into the new line?

Goofyernmost

I agree with you. But my stand is it's not my responsibility to make sure that everyone knows everything. If they line up like lemmings in the left hand line, leaving the right hand line open, and I take advantage of that by getting into the empty line, well I just might tick a few people off. But I don't really care - I'm taking advantage of the system as designed by Disney. It's the same thing as a new turnstile opening at the front gate. Do I tell everyone that a new line is open, or do I move over and get into the new line?
Actually, your moving over to that line is, in fact, informing others that they can use that line. Actions speak louder then words. All they ever had to do is pull their heads out of their nether regions and see how the other registers work if we are talking about the eatery's or if you saw something open at the entrance to the park and they didn't why didn't they. Your eyes work better then theirs? Bet they will never make that mistake in either case again.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Well, courtesy is always optional but it'd be a better world if people exercised courtesy at every opportunity.

mergatroid

This moving to the other side of the cashier or joining a newly opened one taking advantage of the fact others don't know or haven't noticed is an interesting debate, both sides have made some good arguments. I always think in life though that if you have to' justify' your argument repeatedly, that perhaps it's not as cut and dry as you'd perhaps like it to be? That's not always the case though and sometimes it's the other persons inability to understand a simple explanation or their unwillingness to change their stance. Sometimes though there's a right or wrong in both arguments depending on how you want to look at it.

Let's say we're queuing to pay our $50 for a plate of fries at Cosmic Rays with loads of other people waiting to be ripped off, angry in the knowledge that we're unlikely going to find a table after receiving our food and will probably end up eating it on a trash bin next to the restrooms stood up. We notice a rather bored looking lady wearing her very alluring CM outfit walking to an empty cash/order register and sitting down and realise she's very likely just about to open and began her most enjoyable of shifts waiting for people to decide what they want despite the fact they've had plain sight of a menu for the previous 15 minutes but have not bothered making their minds up. Now at some stage we know she's going to shout "This register is open now folks, come and fulfill my life by placing your orders and give me great job satisfaction" (or words to that effect)

Technically it's a new queue and yes, as such anyone can join it and those who don't notice or are slower to react can't really blame others behind them for being quicker to react and moving into this new line giving them a lesser wait than the person who was originally in front of them. Also it's not slowing down that person being served any as if that new register hadn't opened up, then their wait would have been the same as it's going to be anyway.

However if the world was perfect (and we know it's not), then morals and kindness would dictate that those nearby this newly opened queue would instinctively expect or tell those already in front of them to take that place as they entered the original line before you and as such should receive their food first. Now this 'argument' relies on 'kindness' towards others and not taking advantage of others hesitancy, ignorance, lack of confidence, lack of awareness or their own moral belief that joining that line instantly feels wrong to them as they feel that's pushing in. The fact of the matter is that you are 'taking advantage' of whatever makes those before you not move to this new line and get their food quicker, however you want to dress it up. You're technically doing nothing wrong but if you have to say that "you're technically doing nothing wrong" then this usually means at the very least you can understand to a degree how others may 'see' what you're doing as being 'not the kindest thing' and may feel slightly wronged over the situation?

Again it's not a perfect world though and we know that even if we were to say to others in front of us "Hey guys you can join that line now, go ahead you're before me", that many would look at us confused and start asking questions whilst other not so kind folk behind us would swarm to the new line anyway making our efforts probably worthless. The practicalities of doing this probably would cause confusion and it would take everyone in the world being kind and agreeing to be selfless to work, so it's probably highly unlikely going to happen anyway.

So no, technically you're not breaking any rules and I've done it myself for the reasons just given above. But let's not pretend we're doing nothing wrong, at least not in a perfect world anyway (which we know it's not)

Damon7777

Your CM opening another register scenario is different than the dual sided quick service register talk we have had....... but I see a lot of overlap in the two nonetheless, chiefly:
Consideration towards others be they alert patrons or unaware.

Once a CM opens a new register she has a duty to offer the very next guest in line the opportunity to place an order at her register.........and proceed down the line until somebody joins her line. Any guest who willfully circumvents the pecking order should be branded an inconsiderate wipe and removed.

mergatroid

Your CM opening another register scenario is different than the dual sided quick service register talk we have had....... but I see a lot of overlap in the two nonetheless, chiefly:
Consideration towards others be they alert patrons or unaware.

Once a CM opens a new register she has a duty to offer the very next guest in line the opportunity to place an order at her register.........and proceed down the line until somebody joins her line. Any guest who willfully circumvents the pecking order should be branded an inconsiderate wipe and removed.

I was unaware of this CM protocol, is it new? I say that not to be smart, but because the other year in Cosmic Rays we witnessed a new register open and the CM just shout "I'm open folks" followed by a mini free for all.

I think we're both on the same page over consideration towards others be they alert or unaware though.

Damon7777

if you have to say that "you're technically doing nothing wrong" then this usually means at the very least you can understand to a degree how others may 'see' what you're doing as being 'not the kindest

And that is, more or less, exactly my underlying point when I challenged kelknight84 a few posts back:
Would he still pull that stunt if it were friends, family or aquaintences who were "too dense" to figure out it's indeed a dual sided queue.

I'm guessing kel would not because deep down knows it's a low class move.

kelknight84

And that is, more or less, exactly my underlying point when I challenged kelknight84 a few posts back:
Would he still pull that stunt if it were friends, family or aquaintences who were "too dense" to figure out it's indeed a dual sided queue.

I'm guessing kel would not because deep down knows it's a low class move.
If my friends and family were there, they would be with me and I would show them how to efficiently move through the theme parks.

Life has limited advantages. People are successful because they take action.

I would never cut someone in line but if there are 2 or more lines and 1 is shorter I will choose the most efficient route. I also analyze who is on each line. Let's say line 1 has 5 people and they are all teens while line 2 has 10 people comprised of 2 families. While line 1 appears shorter it consists of 5 separate orders while line 2 has only 2 orders.

I'm all about fair, but I'm also not giving up an advantage to someone else.

That would be like me at work saying I'm better at my job than you and more qualified but since you've been here longer and suck at your job, go ahead and take the promotion.

mergatroid

I'm all about fair, but I'm also not giving up an advantage to someone else.

That would be like me at work saying I'm better at my job than you and more qualified but since you've been here longer and suck at your job, go ahead and take the promotion.

I don't really get this comparison (could be just me though). If you go for a promotion somebody else picks who gets the job and not you. So the boss would say "there you go Kell, the job is yours" or similar. Even if you said "Give it merg instead, I don't want the promotion", you're reacting to a verbalised offer.

Somebody not understanding they can use either side of a queue and you taking advantage of that is different as they've not been told they can use both sides. The advantage you gain is down to one of you being unaware of what's going on, unlike a job promotion interview where you both go in knowing what's required and somebody else makes the decision anyway?

As I say though, maybe I'm missing something here?

kelknight84

I don't really get this comparison (could be just me though). If you go for a promotion somebody else picks who gets the job and not you. So the boss would say "there you go Kell, the job is yours" or similar. Even if you said "Give it merg instead, I don't want the promotion", you're reacting to a verbalised offer.

Somebody not understanding they can use either side of a queue and you taking advantage of that is different as they've not been told they can use both sides. The advantage you gain is down to one of you being unaware of what's going on, unlike a job promotion interview where you both go in knowing what's required and somebody else makes the decision anyway?

As I say though, maybe I'm missing something here?
The other person waits in line hoping to get handed the promotion due to time put in. (Which many places still do, although it's getting fewer). The other person performs better and is hopefully rewarded.

There are no guarantees but working hard and paying attention usually pan out instead of just sitting around waiting for someone else to tell you to move.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom