Line Jumpers/Line Stallers

Damon7777

So all you gap makers out there you are on solid ground......keep pulling off to get water, snap that picture, tie your shoe, play on your phone and be the best gap maker you can be. But don't pull that stunt near the loading causing unfilled logs or empty doombuggies or we got problems.

Last edited:

thomas998

So all you gap makers out there you are on solid ground......keep pulling off to get water, snap that picture, tie your shoe, play on your phone and be the best gap maker you can be. But don't pull that stunt near the loading causing unfilled logs or empty doombuggies or we got problems.
Actually it also causes a problem when they stall near the convergence of the fastpass and standby lines... when they stall there it increases the probability that the CM will start letting fastpassers enter where they might have delayed that a bit longer if the standby line was full and flowing.

Paper straw fan

In the instance of “there’s 2 open lanes but nobody in line seems to know” that’s their problem. If I walk up and can clearly see an open lane, I don’t know, maybe you’re in a group and don’t want to split up, or maybe you lack awareness. Either way that’s not on me.

Now if I’m in line and another lane opens up just then, and I’m in a quick serve or even the grocery store, I’ll likely point it out to the person ahead of me, especially to older persons. But in the case of the former, I figure maybe seeing me notice and use an empty open lane will possibly result in them following suit and still save them time.

Damon7777

If I walk up and can clearly see an open lane, I don’t know, maybe you’re in a group and don’t want to split up,

I must concede some here since you do present a good point--- your angle has me reconsidering,...... at least in part.
Indeed 4 guests on one side and none on the other could very well be one single party and thus possibly one single transaction at the register.

Damon7777

Now if I’m in line and another lane opens up just then, and I’m in a quick serve or even the grocery store, I’ll likely point it out to the person ahead of me, especially to older persons.

Perfect.......it would be nice if many more would do that; sadly I don't see it too often.

Paper straw fan

Thanks, and I mean, it’s not meant to be rude, just sometimes, by the time I get someone’s attention to the open line, someone who just walked up can already see the open line and go ahead of all of us- so perhaps just seeing me go is alerting enough IMO.

There have been times I point out a time save like that, and I have gotten a “we’re all together, but thank you!” I agree it’s a nice thing to do. Some days I just choose the path of least resistance-it’s not meant to be considerate or inconsiderate for me, probably just being lazy and a bit anti-social

danyoung56

You snooze you lose, if I see an opening I'm going to take it. If someone thinks less of me because I have knowledge of how lines work that they don't, oh well. :joyfull:

THIS!!

And as to the line pausing, it's a matter of perception. If I'm slowly moving along, at least I'm making progress. If someone in front of me is pausing, then I'm not making any progress. While it's true that it's not really slowing me down in the long run, I still feel much better about the queue if it's moving steadily (albeit slowly) forward.

Hockey89

This is a strange thread. Why would anyone have a problem with people pausing in a line?

You still get to the ride at the same time. You could stand at the entrance to the cave in Flight of Passage, wait ten minutes without moving, then spend a minute walking up to fill the space, and you'd be exactly where you would have been without stopping, and still get on the ride half an hour after that.

It would only be an issue if for some reason the person stopped and the entire queue in front of them disappeared, but more often than not it will be backed up again in moments.
I find you response to be so odd and not in reality....

Goofyernmost

This is a strange thread. Why would anyone have a problem with people pausing in a line?

You still get to the ride at the same time. You could stand at the entrance to the cave in Flight of Passage, wait ten minutes without moving, then spend a minute walking up to fill the space, and you'd be exactly where you would have been without stopping, and still get on the ride half an hour after that.

It would only be an issue if for some reason the person stopped and the entire queue in front of them disappeared, but more often than not it will be backed up again in moments.
I find you response to be so odd and not in reality....
How so, it makes complete sense to me
Absolutely, does make sense and is reality. If someone sets up camp, has a picnic and doesn't move, then the gap is important. If they just didn't notice the line moving and what seems like hours, but, is actually only seconds they notice and move then you have lost absolutely nothing. Like they said you are ending up in exactly the same place you would have been if they had not paused. Usually, as the line gets closer to load, there is almost no pausing by anyone, because they are getting ready to have their turn. It gets annoying only if there is a large possibility of line cutters taking up that space and that is what angers people, however, that is not usually what will happen. You will just be delayed for a few moments and then catch right back up. That was much more of a problem back before FP when there was very few times when the line stopped long enough to distract people. We all just kept moving and if someone stopped to pick their nose, everyone behind then had to stop as well. (See @danyoung56 above)

Dave B

Absolutely, does make sense and is reality. If someone sets up camp, has a picnic and doesn't move, then the gap is important. If they just didn't notice the line moving and what seems like hours, but, is actually only seconds they notice and move then you have lost absolutely nothing. Like they said you are ending up in exactly the same place you would have been if they had not paused. Usually, as the line gets closer to load, there is almost no pausing by anyone, because they are getting ready to have their turn. It gets annoying only if there is a large possibility of line cutters taking up that space and that is what angers people, however, that is not usually what will happen. You will just be delayed for a few moments and then catch right back up. That was much more of a problem back before FP when there was very few times when the line stopped long enough to distract people. We all just kept moving and if someone stopped to pick their nose, everyone behind then had to stop as well. (See @danyoung56 above)
You seem to be agreeing, is that correct

mergatroid

Must say this year twice in lines we had a group of four or so people saying "Excuse me, excuse me, my family are ahead and we need to join them". These were 20 somethings and not young kids and we'd been in the line for over 5 minutes before this happened, 30 seconds I get but 5-10 minutes! Everyone let them through but once they'd passed everyone commented on how wrong that was rolling their eyes and saying if they were that desperate to ride together, then surely they should join the queue together.

I don't see the above as them deliberately trying to cheat the system as such, more ignorance and bad manners without thinking or caring how it effects others. I wanted to say "No, you're not going past me because we've all have had to wait and so should you. If you want to be together then join the group together and nobody will have a problem with you". I guess I didn't because a) I was on holiday and trying to escape stressful interactions and b) Because everyone else had let them through at that point and so it kind of seemed the 'consensus' was that it's kind of justified?

I know 'allowing it' is a small part of the problem, but also what happens if you don't and a big scene erupts if you refuse to let them through and physically block them? Would CM's side with them or you? I guess CM's might say "Well sir perhaps you let them through this one time and we'll make sure they know not to do it again in the future", just to keep the peace. But if that is the case then the whole thing would have seemed to have been for nothing?

Last edited:

KCheatle

I won't lie and say I'm not annoyed by it. But, I usually just let the line-jumpers thru. I guess my perspective is that it's usually only a couple people, and it's not going to impact me in any noticeable way. It also doesn't happen all that often, at least to me, so I don't feel like I'm "going to pay for it" down the road. My DH and I differ on this, though. He will say something to them. But, he and I are different about that at home, too - with bad drivers, he will try and "teach them a lesson" for doing something stupid, where I'm more of the "drive away from people driving vehicles who have proven to be stupid." I'm just more passive I guess.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
First you say this...
As long as one of those methods isn't cutting in front of other people, we're fine.
Then you say this...
You snooze you lose, if I see an opening I'm going to take it. If someone thinks less of me because I have knowledge of how lines work that they don't, oh well. :joyfull:

And as to the line pausing, it's a matter of perception. If I'm slowly moving along, at least I'm making progress. If someone in front of me is pausing, then I'm not making any progress. While it's true that it's not really slowing me down in the long run, I still feel much better about the queue if it's moving steadily (albeit slowly) forward.
It's called "Disney World," not "Darwin World." If there are people in front of you, you're in a line. It's considered polite to wait for your turn to order. It's considered impolite if you cut in front of them.

By all means, let them know the line is moving, or that there are two cashiers and they should move to the one not busy.

But cutting in front of them is simply that.

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
First you say this...

Then you say this...

It's called "Disney World," not "Darwin World." If there are people in front of you, you're in a line. It's considered polite to wait for your turn to order. It's considered impolite if you cut in front of them.

By all means, let them know the line is moving, or that there are two cashiers and they should move to the one not busy.

RE: Cashier...there is no line if there is no line. If everyone is on the left, and it's open on the right the right has no line. It's not cutting to start a line on that side too. You can tell by looking at every single one of the register areas that it supports people on both sides. It's really up to the cast member to let people know they should use both sides.

danyoung56

This was basically the discussion I had with a co-worker today. It's the job of the cashier to control his/her line. And to be honest, I have been known to tell everyone about the 2nd line. But I'm under no obligation to do so. If I want to move to the head of the 2nd (empty) line, I'm not being at all rude if I do so.

kelknight84

For those arguing that going to the other cashier side is cutting, what are your thoughts on the parking booths? Most vehicles go on the side with the driver window and the middle lanes. So if I go to the other side with no cars or the end lanes with no cars am I also cutting?

Damon7777

For those arguing that going to the other cashier side is cutting, what are your thoughts on the parking booths? Most vehicles go on the side with the driver window and the middle lanes. So if I go to the other side with no cars or the end lanes with no cars am I also cutting?

This is no way whatsoever the same thing at play.........are you for real with that?

One can not readily exit her car, thus leaving it unattended in a car payment booth lane and go knocking on other car doors in other lanes and inform drivers that empty lanes are available.

Goofyernmost

First you say this...

Then you say this...

I think they were talking about those double sided cashiers in the Quick Service areas. So many times people are not paying attention and all form in one line leaving the other one empty. I also just go to that second line and very quickly part of the first line pulls in behind me. So, in a way, I did them a favor in that case. I didn't cut in line, I started an other one that was always available to them they just didn't know it. It's not really the same thing anymore then your FP line moving faster then my Standby line which you all seem to think isn't cutting in front.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom