Line Jumpers/Cutters

wdw2011por

Don't wanna get in an argument, but I have to ask: If the wait was really only five minutes, why not peacefully take your time to allow those in your family to catch a bit of the fireworks show and do so together? Why the rush? The line is not going to fill up during the fireworks show. I would be VERY uncomfortable pushing past people in line and even more so just to save five minutes. Even if it was 20-25 minutes as you said was posted (and at least in my experience posted wait times at HM are always longer than real wait time) that's still not long. Enjoy a bit of the fireworks together and then "endure" the line together.

Grimley1968

Don't wanna get in an argument, but I have to ask: If the wait was really only five minutes, why not peacefully take your time to allow those in your family to catch a bit of the fireworks show and do so together? Why the rush? The line is not going to fill up during the fireworks show. I would be VERY uncomfortable pushing past people in line and even more so just to save five minutes. Even if it was 20-25 minutes as you said was posted (and at least in my experience posted wait times at HM are always longer than real wait time) that's still not long. Enjoy a bit of the fireworks together and then "endure" the line together.

Because, for some, inconvenience for fellow guests merits no consideration as long as they themselves aren't inconvenienced.

People can rationalize line cutting all they want (and admittedly it is a trivial issue in the big scheme of things), but that's what it really boils down to.

Walt Disney1955

What in the hell does that last question have to do with anything? And why, just give me one good reason, would someone intentionally run over somebodies foot? The point of my concern is that you seem to think that using one of those is some kind of advantage. I will go on record to inform you that it is anything but an advantage.

We were talking about line cutting and I think you associate that with wheelchairs and/or scooters with line cutting. It is not, we go in the same lines as everyone else. The only advantage is that we get to sit in line instead of stand, but all the while we are envious of those that can just move easily and would gladly switch places with any able bodied person willing to do so.

Age has nothing to do with physical challenges. I am 75 and spent a large part of my life helping people of all ages with physical problems to enjoy live as much as possible. My problems didn't start until my 70's, but a whole lot of people aren't as lucky and have unrepairable problems or accidents that may seem minor to people that don't know the details, but for that person less than a joy to deal with. I will also guess that there are some people that think riding around in a scooter all day would be fun, I can assure you that it is a very small percentage. It slows you down, you have to spend the day trying not to "hit" a person so wrapped up in their own enjoyment that they cannot be bothered to look before they step in the path, riding at butt level through crowds (wonderful scenery), and generally feeling that people are sure that they are faking the whole thing just to get some advantage by riding around, not to mention having to pay for that vehicle while paying the same to get into the park as everyone else.

Because the person tried to run me over as I was going past them. With their wheelchair. Wouldn't have been fun if that happened especially wearing sandals. Anyway, there are "Karens" in a lot of lines, I met one on my last trip.

Walt Disney1955

Amazing thing is they waited in line and you your family didn't, and you are shocked they got angry with you for jumping? Is this how you guys work a parking lot?

We did actually wait. You must not have read my post. I honestly didn't think it was a big deal because I really didn't anticipate the line going as quick as it did. Are the Disney fan boys on here really that upset that some kids who can barely tie their shoes heard the bang in the fireworks while in line and just wanted to go check it out for a few minutes and their parents said yes (one of them went with them)? And then the remaining family members (me being one of them) stuck around not thinking anyone would be a Karen about it (Wow am I ever off on that one in this thread!). But then noticing that maybe I should let them know how quick the line is going and then as I start walking down the path to retrieve them I see them coming back all the while still having other family standing in line?

Really, people take the side of the guy who tried to roll over my foot with a wheelchair in this situation? Because he incorrectly thought we all ditched the line and then came back. Yikes. I think people are getting a little obsessed here.
This really isn't helping your argument as this is also line cutting. Trust me, the 60-70 people you bypassed cared, they just didn't say anything.

It happens to me all of the time and I've never cared. If they were bypassing some people and they never had a family member holding a spot for them, for whatever reason, then I consider that line cutting. However, a line can be 45 minutes long, maybe longer. Things happen, I've got a strong bladder but I know very well others don't. I just as well assume that something came up and they are going back to their spot. It really isn't my concern. They aren't taking anything away from me or my experience.

mergatroid

Then I noticed he got up rather comfortably from his wheelchair and got onto the ride vehicle. Hmmm. Interesting.

Anyway, the point is that WDW is the last place I want to start a verbal fight with anyone.
I have dystonia which affects my walking. I can walk but after walking a while my leg can literally give up on me on a really bad day. At times I've had to use a wheelchair for this very reason. Your reasoning/implication is that if a person can seemingly get out of a wheelchair and walk a few steps, that they shouldn't be in a wheelchair? I think it's better realising that some people can walk but perhaps not that far and so may legitimately need a wheelchair due to the long distances they're required to walk at places such as Disney.

I've personally never been in a wheelchair myself on the days I've done the Haunted Mansion, but on my last four rides of it have been accompanied by a friend who has. On every occasion we've been directed through a separate line near the exit to board rather than the normal line, are you sure you're not misremembering which attraction you were on? I've never witnessed anyone in the stretch room in a wheelchair in all my numerous visits either. In fact with the very narrow line following the stretch room is there even a way a guest in a wheelchair can access the ride that way?

Last edited:

Chi84

Premium Member
If they were bypassing some people and they never had a family member holding a spot for them, for whatever reason, then I consider that line cutting.
This is quoted from WDW’s property rules:
  • Please show common courtesy to fellow Guests and our Cast Members by not *** jumping lines or saving places in lines for others.
It’s not about what each person thinks is right. Disney doesn’t want people crawling over one another leaving lines to see fireworks and then disrupting them again returning to their spot.

Sometimes you just have to tell your kids “sorry, you can’t go out to see the fireworks because we’re already in line for the ride.”

Walt Disney1955

I have dystonia which affects my walking. I can walk but after walking a while my leg can literally give up on me on a really bad day. At times I've had to use a wheelchair for this very reason. Your reasoning/implication is that if a person can seemingly get out of a wheelchair and walk a few steps, that they shouldn't be in a wheelchair? I think it's better realising that some people can walk but perhaps not that far and so may legitimately need a wheelchair due to the long distances they're required to walk at places such as Disney.

I've personally never been in a wheelchair myself on the days I've done the Haunted Mansion, but on my last four rides of it have been accompanied by a friend who has. On every occasion we've been directed through a separate line near the exit to board rather than the normal line, are you sure you're not misremembering which attraction you were on? I've never witnessed anyone in the stretch room in a wheelchair in all my numerous visits either. In fact with the very narrow line following the stretch room is there even a way a guest in a wheelchair can access the ride that way?

Nope, not misremembering, it was Haunted Mansion, and it was just a month ago.

This is quoted from WDW’s property rules:
  • Please show common courtesy to fellow Guests and our Cast Members by not *** jumping lines or saving places in lines for others.
It’s not about what each person thinks is right. Disney doesn’t want people crawling over one another leaving lines to see fireworks and then disrupting them again returning to their spot.

Sometimes you just have to tell your kids “sorry, you can’t go out to see the fireworks because we’re already in line for the ride.”

I guess there actually are people that care about this. I've seen in done so many times when someone is going past me and I never bat an eyelash. I assume they have a reason why and that they aren't just budding in. Honestly, I think people need to chill.

mergatroid

I believe I mentioned already that my wife was out there with the kids getting a closer view of the fireworks. I was in line with other family. The line suddenly went a lot faster than I thought it would be. It was supposed to be a 20-25 minute wait, it turned out to be just barely over 5 minutes. So hence why I thought I should go and bring them back. The line was never left unattended as it was only me who left. But I was gone 10 seconds as they were already coming back in. That's it. 4 people, three of them children, two of them smaller children, came into the line that we were already saving for them in the first place. Not different at all than if they had to sneak to the bathroom. The guy took offense to it, his girlfriend nearly rolled over my foot with the wheelchair as the last thing I was expecting was to have anyone care about it. He continued on, and yet here is the kicker we got on the ride at the same time. Literally nothing changed than if 3 children are in front of him or not. I am surprised the fan boys are as offended on here as they are. I don't think you are understanding what a "Karen" is. A "Karen" cannot be reasoned with, I was trying to explain it to him calmly.

This is very much one of those "you had to be there" type of moments. Remember, the complaint of the guy is that I left completely and abandoned the line and then came back and budded in front of him. None of that was true and it didn't matter how I explained it to him. There was other family in the line holding our spot. Earlier in the day my family lined up for Pirates. It was a 30 minute wait. I went to the bathroom prior to lining up. 5 minutes later I scoot past probably 60-70 people to catch up with my family. From my vantage point, no one cared. Life went on. I tend to think the average person understands that.

So in your first example highlighted you've said you'd all joined the line initially and that 4 people left to see the fireworks and returned, comparing this to those same people going to the toilet. The problem is that if everyone did this then the line would look 80% shorter during the fireworks, possibly encouraging people to join the line assuming it a lot shorter than it actually was.

However in the second example highlighted you've gone from arguing that everyone was in the line initially to admitting that you sent your family ahead of you onto Pirates on this different occasion without you joining the queue until you'd been to the toilet, expecting everyone to allow you to have your place held and push in?

So your argument at HM was that you'd all joined the queue to start with and then some left to watch the fireworks and that's no different than them all going to the toilet. However in Pirates when you got there you sent your family ahead whilst you went to the toilet (having never been in the line) and then pushed past everyone to catch them up. Why 'justify' the instance at HM by explaining they were already in the queue when you also clearly show you're ok with joining at Pirates having never being in the queue? Why not make the family wait whilst you went to the toilet before all joining the Pirates line which wouldn't need 'justifying' as you would have done nothing wrong?

Walt Disney1955

So in your first example highlighted you've said you'd all joined the line initially and that 4 people left to see the fireworks and returned, comparing this to those same people going to the toilet. The problem is that if everyone did this then the line would look 80% shorter during the fireworks, possibly encouraging people to join the line assuming it a lot shorter than it actually was.

However in the second example highlighted you've gone from arguing that everyone was in the line initially to admitting that you sent your family ahead of you onto Pirates without you joining the queue until you'd been to the toilet, expecting everyone to allow you to have your place held and push in?

So your argument at HM was that you'd all joined the queue to start with and then some left to watch the fireworks and that's no different than them all going to the toilet. However in Pirates when you got there you sent your family ahead whilst you went to the toilet (having never been in the line) and then pushed past everyone to catch them up. Why 'justify' the instance at HM by explaining they were already in the queue when you also clearly show you're ok with joining at Pirates having never being in the queue? Why not make the family wait whilst you went to the toilet before all joining the Pirates line which wouldn't need 'justifying' as you would have done nothing wrong?

I think you have far too much time on your hands and are overthinking it. Haunted Mansion is pretty close to where the fireworks go off. We weren't deep into the line, we were right at the beginning of a line that I assumed wasn't going to move very fast. We didn't "bother" anyone other than the one guy.

Not like you are ever "pushing" past people on a line, but if you want the Pirates story my family was right on the other side of a chain and I just stepped over and - Voila - we were re-united.

I am actually shocked I am the only person that seemingly admits there was a time where they felt the need to go to the bathroom before getting on an attraction line.

mergatroid

I think you have far too much time on your hands and are overthinking it. Haunted Mansion is pretty close to where the fireworks go off. We weren't deep into the line, we were right at the beginning of a line that I assumed wasn't going to move very fast. We didn't "bother" anyone other than the one guy.

Not like you are ever "pushing" past people on a line, but if you want the Pirates story my family was right on the other side of a chain and I just stepped over and - Voila - we were re-united.

I am actually shocked I am the only person that seemingly admits there was a time where they felt the need to go to the bathroom before getting on an attraction line.
I don't think anyone is saying that? It's more why not have your family wait for you to go to the toilet and then all join the line together? That's what I and most people do and is fair. By sending them ahead of you to 'save a place' for you in the line that you've never joined is a way for you to save time at everyone else's expense. If everyone did this lines would look emptier, falsely encouraging people to join them.

And before saying "Well not everyone does that" that isn't a valid excuse. It's more like saying "The rules don't apply to me". Whichever way you cut it, you or your family are joining a queue before you're ready to join it for a reason. The reason is "The line is 30 mins now and if we wait for X to go to the toilet, it could mean a longer wait following that. We don't want a longer wait so we'll break the rules and hold a place which means not only do folk have to move to allow X in, but also their wait is now longer because of our decision"

As for only 'bothering one guy', I doubt that's the case. Very often people bite their tongues over things that bother them. The guy in the queue with BO bothers me, however I don't say anything because perhaps he has a medical condition that makes him sweat or he can beat me up. The kid screaming bothers me, however as I don't know why I say nothing. The people who wait till they get to the cashier before then deciding what to order bothers me, however saying anything will only prolong my wait. The person talking too loudly during a pre-show bothers me, again though will shushing him create more problems than tolerating it?

As for "having too much time on my hands", you're the one arguing with people on here about it and have made far more posts than me on the subject. So the question should really be how come you have all this time on your hands?

Last edited:

Chi84

Premium Member
Nope, not misremembering, it was Haunted Mansion, and it was just a month ago.

I guess there actually are people that care about this. I've seen in done so many times when someone is going past me and I never bat an eyelash. I assume they have a reason why and that they aren't just budding in. Honestly, I think people need to chill.
Again, this isn’t about what you think the rules should be; it’s what Disney says the rules are. The vast majority of people follow them and what you’re doing is unfair to the people who do what they’re supposed to do.

Club Cooloholic

We did actually wait. You must not have read my post. I honestly didn't think it was a big deal because I really didn't anticipate the line going as quick as it did. Are the Disney fan boys on here really that upset that some kids who can barely tie their shoes heard the bang in the fireworks while in line and just wanted to go check it out for a few minutes and their parents said yes (one of them went with them)? And then the remaining family members (me being one of them) stuck around not thinking anyone would be a Karen about it (Wow am I ever off on that one in this thread!). But then noticing that maybe I should let them know how quick the line is going and then as I start walking down the path to retrieve them I see them coming back all the while still having other family standing in line?

Really, people take the side of the guy who tried to roll over my foot with a wheelchair in this situation? Because he incorrectly thought we all ditched the line and then came back. Yikes. I think people are getting a little obsessed here.

It happens to me all of the time and I've never cared. If they were bypassing some people and they never had a family member holding a spot for them, for whatever reason, then I consider that line cutting. However, a line can be 45 minutes long, maybe longer. Things happen, I've got a strong bladder but I know very well others don't. I just as well assume that something came up and they are going back to their spot. It really isn't my concern. They aren't taking anything away from me or my experience.
Yes we all love people walking in and out of line, those in wheel chairs probably appreciate a family squeezing by and twice, three times if we count you. Please also be sure to text and talk as much as you want at the movies, FaceTime while at a checkout register while speaking as loudly as possible. It's your world boss, we are all just living in it, right?

PS, if your kids were that into the fireworks, maybe, I dunno wait on doing the ride and go watch some fireworks.

LeighM

I've had to leave the line only once and I was highly embarrassed and apologetic. We were in an hour long wait for Rise of the Resistance due to a ride break down and we were stuck behind the waterfall for a while with no idea when the ride would restart. I had to climb around all of those people to get to the bathroom (too many switchbacks to count with no easy, quick exit out) before a bladder accident apologizing to each one. I got to the end of the line and explained to the cast member what happened and asked where the nearest restroom was. Unfortunately for me, the line started moving again as soon as I entered the bathroom. When I got back, I went to the CM and he asked where my husband currently was in line. After getting (and proving) his location, I asked him to move to the side when he got to a specific location to let others pass him by. The CM then sent me to someone else who walked me backstage and reconnected me with my husband at the hidden door next to where he was standing. Then we rejoined the procession. We always use the restroom before getting in a long line or ride (to try and avoid incidents like this) and always wait for each other. I'm sure the people I had to walk by to get out clearly remembered me and the fact that I was escorted by a CM to meet back up with my husband also made things okay for them. But if I had to walk in front of all of those new people that had entered the line that didn't see me walk out, would've had issues if I had just casually pushed by to get in front of them.

Chi84

Premium Member
I've had to leave the line only once and I was highly embarrassed and apologetic. We were in an hour long wait for Rise of the Resistance due to a ride break down and we were stuck behind the waterfall for a while with no idea when the ride would restart. I had to climb around all of those people to get to the bathroom (too many switchbacks to count with no easy, quick exit out) before a bladder accident apologizing to each one. I got to the end of the line and explained to the cast member what happened and asked where the nearest restroom was. Unfortunately for me, the line started moving again as soon as I entered the bathroom. When I got back, I went to the CM and he asked where my husband currently was in line. After getting (and proving) his location, I asked him to move to the side when he got to a specific location to let others pass him by. The CM then sent me to someone else who walked me backstage and reconnected me with my husband at the hidden door next to where he was standing. Then we rejoined the procession. We always use the restroom before getting in a long line or ride (to try and avoid incidents like this) and always wait for each other. I'm sure the people I had to walk by to get out clearly remembered me and the fact that I was escorted by a CM to meet back up with my husband also made things okay for them. But if I had to walk in front of all of those new people that had entered the line that didn't see me walk out, would've had issues if I had just casually pushed by to get in front of them.
Please let’s not make this about emergency trips to the bathroom. You handled the situation with common sense and consideration for those around you.

That is neither cutting the line nor holding a place for someone else.

LeighM

Please let’s not make this about emergency trips to the bathroom. You handled the situation with common sense and consideration for those around you.

That is neither cutting the line nor holding a place for someone else.

I was responding to him saying "I am actually shocked I am the only person that seemingly admits there was a time where they felt the need to go to the bathroom before getting on an attraction line." I was giving an example of a time that I actually had to use the bathroom WHILE I was stuck in a line and I still didn't handle it the way that he did.

mergatroid

There's nothing wrong with what you did and it's completely different to the example given. It blows my mind that somebody believes sending their family into a queue to save a place for them without ever entering it, is the same as what happened to you. You handled your situation perfectly and the fact that you even felt bad about it and apologised to people shows how much you consider others.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom