Line Jumpers/Cutters

Ayla

These are kids 12 and under we are talking about. Sorry, I disagree. Nothing changes if they are in the line or if they aren't. The line wasn't left unattended. And even the "Karen's" complaint was not that the kids came into the line, it is that I left and "budded" back in. Despite already having someone in our place. This is like saying you can't go to the bathroom and come back in a long line. We have all done that and we all have seen people do this and no one (rarely) cares. Well, I met someone that cared on that line for some reason.
As was already pointed out, you were the Karen in this situation...but since you think rules don't apply to you, you'll never admit it.

Goofyernmost

I'd have let it be. It isn't often you can get away with that, so he likely couldn't do it twice. You paid a ton of money to be at that park, and the last thing I'd want to be is a Karen in that situation.

Here is a good example of a time when I had a Karen in my line and I actually was NOT in the wrong. Haunted Mansion line, we skipped the fireworks to get in to some rides we hadn't done yet. So we are in line, my wife and kids felt they had enough time to run out onto the main walkway and see the fireworks the best they could. 5 minutes or so. Well, the line was going faster than I thought so I had another relative with me and he stayed in line while I went to go get them and bring them back. They were coming back anyway, and so I was gone for 10 seconds out of the line, but still had someone in our place. We come back and get in the line and a young guy and his girlfriend(?) start complaining to me that I cut in. He's in a wheelchair and as I am trying to get past him his girlfriend actually tries to run me over. I was pretty surprised and tried to tell him that we had someone in our place and I was just getting my kids. He was a classic Karen, didn't listen to reason, and he complained to a cast member who sort of just smiled at me as if to say "Yeah don't worry, I think the guy is an idiot too." I explained it to her and left it at that. Here is the kicker, we all ended up in the same stretch room so nothing changed one way or another.

Then I noticed he got up rather comfortably from his wheelchair and got onto the ride vehicle. Hmmm. Interesting.

Anyway, the point is that WDW is the last place I want to start a verbal fight with anyone.
Wanna guess where you lost me? I kind of agree, even though I wouldn't do it, that leaving a line you are already in and coming back is asking for controversy. That isn't how queue's work and it is entitled to think that is OK for you to do. That said, however, it isn't something I would be overly upset about as long as I knew you were had been in the line just moments before. I did object to sending out part of the family, kids or not, to watch something else and then find them coming back to a line they probably were never in to begin with except in your mind. But not even that.

The way you worded the highlighted line that upset me. The condescending way you put in "Hmmm. Interesting", like you just discovered someone getting one over on Disney or the rest of the crowd. Let me slightly explain. In my 40 years of going to WDW, I spent time pushing a wheelchair around all day in that Florida sunshine. I also went with people that needed a scooter, one of your main targets, I would imagine. I also had, on my last trip, to use a scooter myself. I could get off the scooter and walk onto a ride and you would have thought, Hmmm. Interesting. I would gladly trade the last four vertebrae in my back for yours and then you could use the scooter. I can get off it and walk normally, but I cannot stand for over 5 minutes or walk for over 5 minutes without real pain in my lower back that transfers down my legs and makes me look like I had been drinking all day. So, Hmmm. yourself and thanks for determining that people like myself are apparently lazy or that there is some other advantage to having to use a device to do what everyone else can do just by moving one foot in front of the other. Believe me, a scooter or a wheelchair (worse) is a hindrance not a joy. If you would like to spend the day looking at everyone's butt, instead of the castle or other things then you have my blessing for you to use one to get one over on us.

Last edited:

Walt Disney1955

Are you 12 and under? If these are small kids why are you sending them alone in the first place? Dude, I don't think you understand what a Karen is, because YOU were Karen, in this case. You wanted the kids to see the fireworks and ride the ride. The line is short because people CHOSE to watch the fireworks. If everyone sent a group rep into the lines that line wouldn't be so short.

I believe I mentioned already that my wife was out there with the kids getting a closer view of the fireworks. I was in line with other family. The line suddenly went a lot faster than I thought it would be. It was supposed to be a 20-25 minute wait, it turned out to be just barely over 5 minutes. So hence why I thought I should go and bring them back. The line was never left unattended as it was only me who left. But I was gone 10 seconds as they were already coming back in. That's it. 4 people, three of them children, two of them smaller children, came into the line that we were already saving for them in the first place. Not different at all than if they had to sneak to the bathroom. The guy took offense to it, his girlfriend nearly rolled over my foot with the wheelchair as the last thing I was expecting was to have anyone care about it. He continued on, and yet here is the kicker we got on the ride at the same time. Literally nothing changed than if 3 children are in front of him or not. I am surprised the fan boys are as offended on here as they are. I don't think you are understanding what a "Karen" is. A "Karen" cannot be reasoned with, I was trying to explain it to him calmly.

This is very much one of those "you had to be there" type of moments. Remember, the complaint of the guy is that I left completely and abandoned the line and then came back and budded in front of him. None of that was true and it didn't matter how I explained it to him. There was other family in the line holding our spot. Earlier in the day my family lined up for Pirates. It was a 30 minute wait. I went to the bathroom prior to lining up. 5 minutes later I scoot past probably 60-70 people to catch up with my family. From my vantage point, no one cared. Life went on. I tend to think the average person understands that.

Last edited:

Walt Disney1955

Wanna guess where you lost me? I kind of agree, even though I wouldn't do it, that leaving a line you are already in and coming back is asking for controversy. That isn't how queue's work and it is entitled to think that is OK for you to do. That said, however, it isn't something I would be overly upset about as long as I knew you were had been in the line just moments before. I did object to sending out part of the family, kids or not, to watch something else and then find them coming back to a line they probably were never in to begin with except in your mind. But not even that.

The way you worded the highlighted line that upset me. The condescending way you put in "Hmmm. Interesting", like you just discovered someone getting one over on Disney or the rest of the crowd. Let me slightly explain. In my 40 years of going to WDW, I spent time pushing a wheelchair around all day in that Florida sunshine. I also went with people that needed a scooter, one of your main targets, I would imagine. I also had, on my last trip, to use a scooter myself. I could get off the scooter and walk onto a ride and you would have thought, Hmmm. Interesting. I would gladly trade the last four vertebrae in my back for yours and then you could use the scooter. I can get off it and walk normally, but I cannot stand for over 5 minutes or walk for over 5 minutes without real pain in my lower back that transfers down my legs and makes me look like I had been drinking all day. So, Hmmm. yourself and thanks for determining that people like myself are apparently lazy or that there is some other advantage to having to use a device to do what everyone else can do just by moving one foot in front of the other. Believe me, a scooter or a wheelchair (worse) is a hindrance not a joy. If you would like to spend the day looking at everyone's butt, instead of the castle or other things then you have my blessing for you to use one to get one over on us.

This person was probably 21 years old. I don't know how old you are, nor will I ask. Before you mention that this person could have a hidden injury, yes, anything is possible, but as you know with the scooter debate on here the main idea is that we all full well know there are people who shouldn't be using them who are using them. If this person was one of them it is up to them. But I am going to go out on a limb that you never tried to roll over someone's foot with your scooter/wheelchair before, am I right? ;)

Goofyernmost

This person was probably 21 years old. I don't know how old you are, nor will I ask. Before you mention that this person could have a hidden injury, yes, anything is possible, but as you know with the scooter debate on here the main idea is that we all full well know there are people who shouldn't be using them who are using them. If this person was one of them it is up to them. But I am going to go out on a limb that you never tried to roll over someone's foot with your scooter/wheelchair before, am I right? ;)
What in the hell does that last question have to do with anything? And why, just give me one good reason, would someone intentionally run over somebodies foot? The point of my concern is that you seem to think that using one of those is some kind of advantage. I will go on record to inform you that it is anything but an advantage.

We were talking about line cutting and I think you associate that with wheelchairs and/or scooters with line cutting. It is not, we go in the same lines as everyone else. The only advantage is that we get to sit in line instead of stand, but all the while we are envious of those that can just move easily and would gladly switch places with any able bodied person willing to do so.

Age has nothing to do with physical challenges. I am 75 and spent a large part of my life helping people of all ages with physical problems to enjoy live as much as possible. My problems didn't start until my 70's, but a whole lot of people aren't as lucky and have unrepairable problems or accidents that may seem minor to people that don't know the details, but for that person less than a joy to deal with. I will also guess that there are some people that think riding around in a scooter all day would be fun, I can assure you that it is a very small percentage. It slows you down, you have to spend the day trying not to "hit" a person so wrapped up in their own enjoyment that they cannot be bothered to look before they step in the path, riding at butt level through crowds (wonderful scenery), and generally feeling that people are sure that they are faking the whole thing just to get some advantage by riding around, not to mention having to pay for that vehicle while paying the same to get into the park as everyone else.

TalkToEthan

That's it. 4 people, three of them children, two of them smaller children, came into the line that we were already saving for them in the first place.

There is some irony at play here:
you point out quantity(and makeup)of those re-entering the line as if that helps your case. Actually, to me that hurts it.

I’m not sure where I stand on the re-entering a queue debate but 4 ain’t right. That’s way too many under close to any circumstance imaginable……….that number to me is almost certainly an automatic disqualification for re-entry.

Lilofan

I feel really bad for women called Karen! I’m sure they hate that their name has become a byword for entitled behaviour. I never use the term for that reason.
If it is a guy they might be called Ken or Greg. At times their first interaction to staff may be “ I need to speak to a manager “.

Club Cooloholic

I believe I mentioned already that my wife was out there with the kids getting a closer view of the fireworks. I was in line with other family. The line suddenly went a lot faster than I thought it would be. It was supposed to be a 20-25 minute wait, it turned out to be just barely over 5 minutes. So hence why I thought I should go and bring them back. The line was never left unattended as it was only me who left. But I was gone 10 seconds as they were already coming back in. That's it. 4 people, three of them children, two of them smaller children, came into the line that we were already saving for them in the first place. Not different at all than if they had to sneak to the bathroom. The guy took offense to it, his girlfriend nearly rolled over my foot with the wheelchair as the last thing I was expecting was to have anyone care about it. He continued on, and yet here is the kicker we got on the ride at the same time. Literally nothing changed than if 3 children are in front of him or not. I am surprised the fan boys are as offended on here as they are. I don't think you are understanding what a "Karen" is. A "Karen" cannot be reasoned with, I was trying to explain it to him calmly.

This is very much one of those "you had to be there" type of moments. Remember, the complaint of the guy is that I left completely and abandoned the line and then came back and budded in front of him. None of that was true and it didn't matter how I explained it to him. There was other family in the line holding our spot. Earlier in the day my family lined up for Pirates. It was a 30 minute wait. I went to the bathroom prior to lining up. 5 minutes later I scoot past probably 60-70 people to catch up with my family. From my vantage point, no one cared. Life went on. I tend to think the average person understands that.
You are line jumping and cutting. Your family was never in line, you were, if you wanted to say you left the line to check on them and only you came back..I can kinda almost see it, but why would you need to check on them, oh tha right because they were watching fireworks and not in line. I can tell nothing written here is going to change your mind, but trust me your family are line cutters. No grey area here.

Club Cooloholic

Amazing thing is they waited in line and you your family didn't, and you are shocked they got angry with you for jumping? Is this how you guys work a parking lot?

Earlier in the day my family lined up for Pirates. It was a 30 minute wait. I went to the bathroom prior to lining up. 5 minutes later I scoot past probably 60-70 people to catch up with my family. From my vantage point, no one cared.
This really isn't helping your argument as this is also line cutting. Trust me, the 60-70 people you bypassed cared, they just didn't say anything.

Chi84

Premium Member

You need to work on your line standing skills because what you’re doing is cutting in front of other people.

Here’s the way it works: The party intending to enter a line waits for all of its members to finish eating, watching shows, using the restrooms, etc. Then they all enter the line together.

Of course there are exceptions for emergencies but you don’t send your family ahead to hold a place for you while you use the bathroom. They wait for you at the line entrance and everyone enters together.

Disney’s rules under property rules, guest courtesy, prohibit both jumping lines and saving places for others.

Last edited:

TalkToEthan

You are line jumping and cutting.
what you’re doing is cutting in front of other people.

I’m not there(yet anyway… as I’m still wrestling with the severity)

As of this writing I’m saying re-entry under that scenario is somewhere between ill-advised and SUPER lousy form. The offender does not deserve to be kicked out of park.

Line cutting warrants ejection.

I just don’t see what WaltDisney did as “line cutting” per se since he already waited in line. But that needs to stop.

I have to measure culpability here and if that stunt went down on my watch I’d be thinking(perhaps voicing, too): “Come on Dude, REALLY?!?!”

Chi84

Premium Member
I’m not there(yet anyway… as I’m still wrestling with the severity)

As of this writing I’m saying re-entry under that scenario is somewhere between ill-advised and SUPER lousy form. The offender does not deserve to be kicked out of park.

Line cutting warrants ejection.

I just don’t see what WaltDisney did as “line cutting” per se since he already waited in line. But that needs to stop.

I have to measure culpability here and if that stunt went down on my watch I’d be thinking(perhaps voicing, too): “Come on Dude, REALLY?!?!”
All I’m saying is placeholding is expressly prohibited in WDW’s written rules, along with line jumping. He seemed to mistakenly believe it was allowed. I’m not concerned about what penalty is warranted.

Again, not talking about emergency bathroom trips, which someone will come along with momentarily.

Goofyernmost

Anger about what? If they were to take on a able bodied person and they cannot escape what would happen then. Common sense is needed here. No, if the victim did or said something that upset the injured person then perhaps it was justified and lucky it was just a foot, however, having experienced the actual situations that happen, I'd have to say that it wasn't the case.

NelleBelle

First off, I view the family getting out of line (or never joining) but someone saving a place in line is beyond rude! It’s the same thing that tour groups from a certain South American country are known for doing—sending someone to e a place holder and then 50 people (or in this case, 4) push past the 85 people in line. It doesn’t matter if everyone all ended up in the same stretching room because they very well could’ve been not let in. Your entire party needs to stay TOGETHER! If the kids want to see the fireworks, get a snack, etc, it all needs to happen before you queue up!

And I am appalled at the insinuation that because some was young and in a wheelchair they must have had some kind of advantage. It’s beyond judgemental and none of your business why they’re using a wheelchair/scooter. Do you also question people who have handicap placards and can walk through a store??

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom