Lin-Manuel Miranda Pitches Encanto Attraction to Chapek?

Brer Panther

For a quick an easily switch...Encanto becomes the next Sing a long at DHS kicking Frozen out and instead of being the "citizens of Arendale" your "Familia of the Encanto"
I doubt they would get rid of something Frozen-related. They probably consider anything Frozen-related sacred ground.

TikibirdLand

I'm really not understanding the "fatigue" of Lin Manuel Miranda. I may be in the minority. But, I'm a fan of Mary Poppins Returns and would love to see more of either old or new Mary in the parks. I haven't caught up on other projects. So, that may be why I'm not following. I did get to see an overview of his work on 60 minutes last year. Very impressive creative. Good to see more latin perspective to Disney projects. I hope it continues!

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
You can dismiss it from your personal music tastes, but it doesn’t change that the rest of the music world seems to have it as their favorite song.

Maybe put the broad paintbrush back in the drawer. But you are obviously personally aggrieved by anyone disagreeing with you, so there’s no sense in trying to have a rational discussion about this.

Not every movie needs a theme park presence 14 seconds after it comes out. That’s called “chasing a fad” and doesn’t play well in the theme park world, particularly one run by penny-pincher crap peddlers.

ToTBellHop

I'm really not understanding the "fatigue" of Lin Manuel Miranda. I may be in the minority. But, I'm a fan of Mary Poppins Returns and would love to see more of either old or new Mary in the parks. I haven't caught up on other projects. So, that may be why I'm not following. I did get to see an overview of his work on 60 minutes last year. Very impressive creative. Good to see more latin perspective to Disney projects. I hope it continues!
I don’t get it either. Moana in 2016, Mary Poppins Returns in 2018, and Encanto 2021 with four new songs in The Little Mermaid next year. Doesn’t feel over-used to me. Do we have Alan Menken fatigue yet?

Similar pacing with Josh Gad playing Olaf and then LeFou with nothing on deck until her perhaps portrays Quasimodo (although he seems more focused on ensuring that Hunchback happens regardless of who is in the title role).

mattpeto

Maybe put the broad paintbrush back in the drawer. But you are obviously personally aggrieved by anyone disagreeing with you, so there’s no sense in trying to have a rational discussion about this.

Not every movie needs a theme park presence 14 seconds after it comes out. That’s called “chasing a fad” and doesn’t play well in the theme park world, particularly one run by penny-pincher crap peddlers.
It’s not that. We can disagree on tastes, but when a person just acts like the song or soundtrack isn’t quality, yet it’s a cultural phenomenon according to Billboard and streaming stats is when I’d like to remind the critic that their opinion is in the minority.

ToTBellHop

It’s not that. We can disagree on tastes, but when a person just acts like the song or soundtrack isn’t quality, yet it’s a cultural phenomenon according to Billboard and streaming stats is when I’d like to remind the critic that their opinion is in the minority.
I agree with this. Personally, I think it is too soon to commit to any attraction but no one is suggesting they are doing that. They are exploring future options which makes sense for this company given their pace of building.

The only changes that could occur in the next couple years would be a segment for a nighttime show.

Dear Prudence

The problem a lot of people have is that he is ONE Latino, he is not the ambassador to all of us. He comes from a very SPECIFIC background, and his perspective has very little to do with the rest of us (Latin people). I don't like that everything he works on feels like self-insert fan fiction. He's very talented, I won't deny that, and I like some of his works, but he's really getting on my nerves.

UNCgolf

People saying Encanto doesn't fit in Animal Kingdom, well, neither does Pocahontas, but that's r@cism for you, and not s conversation anymore wants to have, it seems.

I'm not sure I understand your point. You're right that Pocahontas doesn't fit in Animal Kingdom, just like Encanto doesn't. Animal Kingdom should be about animals, not humans (or humans dressed up like animals, a la Zootopia or Robin Hood).

Regardless, as I mentioned above, they aren't going to add to Animal Kingdom without using IP, so Encanto would be as good a choice as any to get a new South America area with more animals. I'll be surprised if they ever add any significant number of new animals, though.

Last edited:

ToTBellHop

The problem a lot of people have is that he is ONE Latino, he is not the ambassador to all of us. He comes from a very SPECIFIC background, and his perspective has very little to do with the rest of us (Latin people). I don't like that everything he works on feels like self-insert fan fiction. He's very talented, I won't deny that, and I like some of his works, but he's really getting on my nerves.
I would argue exposure and having projects fronted by someone who can actually get them made so latinx actors and film crew members actually get gigs is better than doing nothing and just sending out more white people.

He does the best one man can do. Let’s hope for more with his talent.

MagicHappens1971

A trackless dark ride through Casita could be a great addition to Animal Kingdom if it’s executed correctly. Technically I’m sure it doesn’t fit with the core values/bible Joe Rhode developed for AK. But we’re all in agreement Disney will not add to AK unless it includes IP. My biggest concern is where this would go, and what it would take over for. I can’t remember where the expansion plots are. Could take over Rafikis as a little Encanto mini-land but fitting in the train ride would be a little weird though. Can’t really put it in as a replacement for Primeval Whirl as it doesn’t fit in Dinoland. Would have to be a new build somewhere

Brer Panther

I wish people would stop saying they should put an Encanto ride/land in Animal Kingdom. Yeah, there's a minor character in the movie who can talk to animals, but that doesn't mean the movie fits in Animal Kingdom. It'd be like them adding a Black Cauldron ride to Animal Kingdom because, hey, there's a pig in it.
I think Muppets Haunted Mansion would happen before that ever did. Wouldn't put it past them anymore, nothing is safe.
As good as that special was, I wouldn't want Muppets invading the Haunted Mansion. Or the Hall of Presidents, for that matter.

yensidtlaw1969

I wish people would stop saying they should put an Encanto ride/land in Animal Kingdom. Yeah, there's a minor character in the movie who can talk to animals, but that doesn't mean the movie fits in Animal Kingdom. It'd be like them adding a Black Cauldron ride to Animal Kingdom because, hey, there's a pig in it.

As good as that special was, I wouldn't want Muppets invading the Haunted Mansion. Or the Hall of Presidents, for that matter.
I wish people would stop suggesting Disney might add The Muppets to The Haunted Mansion ride. They very obviously won't be doing that.

Agreed that Encanto isn't a fit for Animal Kingdom. There's no messaging in that movie that aligns with that of AK.

Gringrinngghost

Maybe they can delete the movie from Disney+ so you can feel better.
Jokes on you. I don't even have Disney+ nor do I wish to subscribe. I will stick with physical media thank you. That fact that your answer that I need the film "deleted" because I stated that "just because it is a hit song doesn't mean there needs to be an attraction built around it" to be emotionally stable speaks volumes about yourself.

Its just that it's too soon to push for something because its new and shiny. You do know that most of us here are mature enough to not give a crap about something because it doesn't match into our preferences. In a case like that, we wouldn't want to act on our emotions to have it cancelled as you are implying. We just don't give it the time of day.

I'm sorry if my music tastes don't align with yours or that of the masses. I can't help you in that regard. As Haunted Pirate said, "you are obviously personally aggrieved by anyone disagreeing with you," which yes, you do come off in that regard. You aren't being ostracized by myself because I just happen to not like one mans work -- the feelings of of being ostracized you might be getting are from your thinly veiled comments.

All I have said about the song is how it sounds like 2 other songs and how its more aligning instrumental wise more akin to music found in Cuba instead of Colombia. I guess you missed the part where I said "That all being said, "We don't talk about Bruno" is an good song," because I specifically said its nothing to write home about.

Lyrically speaking, its a good song, however the instrumentals to myself, have nothing remarkable and thusly nothing to write home about. In a musical there is always an emphasis on the score, which helps to progress the story. When I heard the song [We don't talk about Bruno], it immediately took me out of the story as I tried to figure out where I had heard the same motif before. To also clear the air here, I also didn't explicitly state that the entire album isn't of quality as you so graciously tried to imply.

"I’d like to remind the critic that their opinion is in the minority." -- If one would like to talk about ostracizing someone, I would like to bring that of which I have just quoted into that record, actually just bring the entire conversation itno the record.

As a sidebar as well, just because the crowd loves to have their ears bleed from a crushed dynamic range, I prefer to have actual dynamic range and not the loudness war.

Personally, I think it is too soon to commit to any attraction but no one is suggesting they are doing that.
From the messaging LMM are trying to put across and from those who will complain when something changes. However from what the public is saying you would think Bob is ready to sign the check already.

Exactly. People say up and down that Disney wants to get every penny imaginable, and will call them out for trying to ride a fad. And yet they are now the ones who are trying to push for a fad and for Disney to ultimately chase the fad. Got to love that juxtaposition.

...everything he works on feels like self-insert fan fiction.
That was the vibes I had gotten from Hamilton.

Agreed that Encanto isn't a fit for Animal Kingdom. There's no messaging in that movie that aligns with that of AK.
I think people are just trying to find excuses for that park to like it and complain that they are talking away from the original meaning of the park, a la Epcot. That being said, Epcot would make the most sense for it, if they we're to had a Colombia pavilion. They do however have an dormat sound stage that's rigged for shows in DHS... (Little mermaid for those wondering)

celluloid

People really like Smooth by Carlos Santana and Rob Thomas with different lyrics I guess.

I know that it is a matter of taste but I am going to give a harsh opinion on it:

It is not that We Don't Talk about Bruno is bad, but it is not great. It is just one of the only of maybe two memorable songs in the entire movie. The only one you can really sing still in your head by the time the first time viewing the movie is over.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom