Lin-Manuel Miranda Pitches Encanto Attraction to Chapek?

yensidtlaw1969

Did Frozen on Broadway really flop? I've seen it twice and thought it was fantastic. Much better than Aladdin.

Also as far as where it could fit:
MK: Adventureland expansion
EPCOT: If they build a Columbia country
DHS: This one feels like more of a stretch, don't think the IP is large enough to have an Encanto-land, also don't think there is any existing land where you could plop it.
AK: No fit at all, apart from Antonio's minor story line, the move has nothing to do with animals, nature, or conservation.
On Broadway the definition of "Flop" is a show that didn't make back its initial capitalization - which, truthfully, it most shows that open on Broadway. So, yes, by that standard Frozen was a flop. A show either closes at a loss and is a "flop" or runs long enough to turn a profit and is a "hit", but the word "hit" gets used casually in marketing, and seeing an ad for a show that calls itself a "Hit Broadway Musical" is not necessarily one that made a profit. It's really, really rare to have a "Hit", which actually turns a profit, and usually requires running for a year or sometimes many more for big shows. And it's even MORE rare to have a hit that can then also make back its running costs every week and actually keep making you a profit. But Disney sunk big money into Frozen feeling that this was for sure their next mega-hit on Broadway and, well, turned out they were way off.

That's part of why Lion King will be around seemingly for eternity - that show pays for itself and just keeps making Disney money and they know how rare that is. The odds that they'll ever have another hit that big are astronomical. Truly no show in the history of Broadway has ever made as much money as Lion King. In 2013 it became the first show on Broadway to have ever made a Billion Dollars from just the New York production - Four years later Phantom of the Opera reached that same milestone, despite having an 11 year headstart over Lion King.

Disney has a strange and surprising history with flop shows - Tarzan and Little Mermaid both flopped pretty famously, but I recall hearing that Mary Poppins was also technically a flop when it closed, despite running on Broadway for 8 years. Apparently they just never turned the corner. I'm not sure whether or not Aida turned a profit, but I suspect it would be easier to find the answer if it were yes.

Beauty and the Beast was a big financial hit and was still making money when they closed its Broadway production, but Disney thought they could make more money by putting The Little Mermaid in that theater. Whoops. That's part of why Disney has been exploring a Broadway Revival of Beauty - it's got a proven track record and the Live Action remake only restated its popularity. But Broadway's had a very bumpy road and nothing is clear at the moment.

UNCgolf

Colombia, Mexico, and Brazil are three of the MOST biodiverse countries in the entire world. Brazil is the most, with Mexico and Colombia rotating throughout the top five slots with Indonesia and China. It's honestly a perfect fit.

South America would be a great addition to AK, but Encanto doesn't really make sense there.

With that said, AK isn't going to get an expansion without some sort of IP attached, so Encanto works about as well as anything to bring in a South American area.

Casper Gutman

Encanto is very very good. It is significantly better then Frozen. It is also custom-made for a trackless ride, with the story set in a single colorful central location with multiple, aesthetically and thematically varied rooms branching off the main plaza. I dislike Disney's obsession with the trackless system, but it fits perfectly here - it should basically be the American version of Mystic Manor.

A well-run company would be looking to get a major Encanto ride open by late 2024 - early 2025... not that there's any reason Disney might want a lot of high profile E-tickets opening about then.

Disneyson

Encanto is very very good. It is significantly better then Frozen. It is also custom-made for a trackless ride, with the story set in a single colorful central location with multiple, aesthetically and thematically varied rooms branching off the main plaza. I dislike Disney's obsession with the trackless system, but it fits perfectly here - it should basically be the American version of Mystic Manor.

A well-run company would be looking to get a major Encanto ride open by late 2024 - early 2025... not that there's any reason Disney might want a lot of high profile E-tickets opening about then.
I did not like Encanto as much as everyone else (I’m tired of Lin), but I think this would be an excellent ride. I think that this could come to DHS as a show or even to Adventureland as a major show. Having the house open and close, “come to life”, and expanding different rooms via stagecraft would make a lot of sense and lends itself easily to a creative staging.

yensidtlaw1969

I did not like Encanto as much as everyone else (I’m tired of Lin), but I think this would be an excellent ride. I think that this could come to DHS as a show or even to Adventureland as a major show. Having the house open and close, “come to life”, and expanding different rooms via stagecraft would make a lot of sense and lends itself easily to a creative staging.
Honestly, I also didn't love Encanto the way everyone else seems to - but if they're looking for an Attraction concept this seems very much NOT like a propety suited to a ride. This seems like a perfect fit for an Animatronic Stage Show that mashes the style of The Country Bears with the Tiki Room.

It seems like the great aspirational moment for people watching the movie would be to visit the house and see the magic, and the characters in that live there would absolutely invite people in for a special open house to share their gifts with them.

Build the Casita, invite guests in through the front door, have seating all around the interior courtyard, and perform a show in the round with Mirabel as your host. Fill it with different animated props and practical effects that show how the whole place is alive around you, and have it transform with each character as Animatronics appear on the 2nd level, singing their songs and spilling magic out of their door to transform both levels of the house around you. Have Isabela come down on her swing, have Camlio magically transform before your eyes. Throw in some related "4D" effects like the smell of flowers as Isabela makes them bloom all over the walls and wind and light rain for a storm conjured by Pepa, and you've got the most popular Animatronic stage show on property.

If the Animatronic part bothers Disney for rea$on$, swap that out instead for live performers with the exact same premise and you're golden. Who wouldn't want to go into the Casita and see the family use their gifts to bring the space to life?

Last edited:

Dear Prudence

To be honest, I didn't like Encanto as much as Coco (Encanto was strangely a lot more Americanized, which was disappointing), but I thought the actual characters were more interesting than the plot itself. I feel like they were not given enough time to develop. Antonio and Camilo were the most interesting to me, and Camilo's abilities were more of a distraction a lot of the time. I HOPEEE it gets a Disney+ show, to expand on this world and their abilities. That would be really interesting. And, please, get more Colombian people to work on it, oh my God.

Make no mistake, I really liked it, but I was PSYCHED for Encanto, and felt like they didn't go as hard for it as they had for Mexico with Coco.

Captain Neo

What is everyones thoughts on this. According to the interview he apparently came up with it while riding Ariel/Little Mermaid. I'm all for more dark rides or attractions in general. No sure it should go in EPCOT.

Forgive me if this is already being talked about.

Where is the link to the source? What are you refering to?

DCBaker

Premium Member
Where is the link to the source? What are you refering to?

It was taken from here -

"Last week Bob Chapek referred to this as the company’s new animated franchise.

Did he really?

Yes.

If I go to Disneyland, I’m going to get some sweet VIP access.

Have you started working on anything new?

No. I’m literally learning from you that Chapek said that. I talked to him and said, “I know there’s a world in which this casita lives in a theme park and we get to actually walk through it in real life.” And that’s really exciting, but the other byproduct of all these characters is that there’s a lot more folks want us to explore and a lot that’s being explored in fan art all over world. I don’t know what form that takes. I don’t know if that’s an animated series. I don’t know if that’s a second movie. I don’t know if that’s a stage adaptation where we have a little more time to go deep. I think it’s all possible, but we had no conversations about what they actually are."

"But you want a theme park attraction? What about a Colombia pavilion at EPCOT?

Well, I took my kids to Disneyland for the first time pre-pandemic a few years ago. And we sat through The Little Mermaid thing five times in a row. That’s where my brain goes. It’s like, I want to go in and out of this casita and see those characters and see the house respond because that’s something Disney can do that no one else can do.

But yeah, in terms of the world of the characters, it’s really early days on that. I don’t know what that will be."

Sir_Cliff

Tarzan was too big of a gamble (but it did well abroad).
Seems to have been a big hit in Europe. Where I live in The Hague they have a big theatre by the beach that seems to mainly cycle through Disney broadway shows (Aladdin right now) where it ran for a while. While it was no Starlight Express, Tarzan also seemed to run and tour for years in Germany. Whether that is enough to make the whole project profitable, though, I don't know.

That's actually a very good idea for an attraction, and one that I would think they would find appealing as it could be slotted into most if not all of the resorts. It's one of those attractions where I think you could find a thematically appropriate location at most of the parks and the film has also been a hit internationally, so seems like something they'd want to start working on.

aladdin2007

It was taken from here -

"Last week Bob Chapek referred to this as the company’s new animated franchise.

Did he really?

Yes.

If I go to Disneyland, I’m going to get some sweet VIP access.

Have you started working on anything new?

No. I’m literally learning from you that Chapek said that. I talked to him and said, “I know there’s a world in which this casita lives in a theme park and we get to actually walk through it in real life.” And that’s really exciting, but the other byproduct of all these characters is that there’s a lot more folks want us to explore and a lot that’s being explored in fan art all over world. I don’t know what form that takes. I don’t know if that’s an animated series. I don’t know if that’s a second movie. I don’t know if that’s a stage adaptation where we have a little more time to go deep. I think it’s all possible, but we had no conversations about what they actually are."

"But you want a theme park attraction? What about a Colombia pavilion at EPCOT?

Well, I took my kids to Disneyland for the first time pre-pandemic a few years ago. And we sat through The Little Mermaid thing five times in a row. That’s where my brain goes. It’s like, I want to go in and out of this casita and see those characters and see the house respond because that’s something Disney can do that no one else can do.

But yeah, in terms of the world of the characters, it’s really early days on that. I don’t know what that will be."

whoever asked those questions, since hes a disneyland goer I doubt he knows anything about epcot. His response sure didn't say anything to the question. And since a Brazil pavilion couldn't even make it off the ground (unfortunately), a Columbian one never will. I don't think we will ever see a new country at Epcot. Too much has changed and is changing. We will be lucky if we see intl cast come back and the costumes return as they once were.

Gringrinngghost

So... Rinse and Repeat?

This happens with every movie from them it seems. People just love it because its new and shiny. I just wonder how the reception would be if it didn't have Lin-Manuel Miranda and his overzealous need to have like 10 rhymes per line.

I'm honestly over the, It just came out, so everyone is clamoring for a ride mindset of late. Its like when a ride closes how its now everyone's favorite ride ever.

That all being said, "We don't talk about Bruno" is an good song, but nothing to write home about -- not to mention how its more aligning instrumental wise more akin to music found in Cuba instead of Colombia. So I guess it will be on brand for them to put it in the Mexico pavilion -- A ride based in Colombia with musical stylings of Cuba in the Mexico pavilion.

However not everything needs a ride and LMM is still over used.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom