Lin-Manuel Miranda Pitches Encanto Attraction to Chapek?

Sir_Cliff

Shouldn’t they do the Mary Poppins attraction first before this or is Not Woke enough?
What, they can't build anything new until the cancelled Mary Poppins attraction happens? Will ignore that "Not Woke" apparently is capitalised now.

I get the argument that not every new film needs an attraction, but sometimes there are natural possibilities and it's worth discussing. If Disney Parks are all IP all the time, I'd certainly rather an Encanto attraction than another Toy Story attraction or even a Marvel attraction.

mattpeto

So... Rinse and Repeat?

This happens with every movie from them it seems. People just love it because its new and shiny. I just wonder how the reception would be if it didn't have Lin-Manuel Miranda and his overzealous need to have like 10 rhymes per line.

I'm honestly over the, It just came out, so everyone is clamoring for a ride mindset of late. Its like when a ride closes how its now everyone's favorite ride ever.

That all being said, "We don't talk about Bruno" is an good song, but nothing to write home about -- not to mention how its more aligning instrumental wise more akin to music found in Cuba instead of Colombia. So I guess it will be on brand for them to put it in the Mexico pavilion -- A ride based in Colombia with musical stylings of Cuba in the Mexico pavilion.

However not everything needs a ride and LMM is still over used.
“Nothing to write home about”?

Attachments

• 17036528-CAAD-462A-81E9-98BDD40B112A.jpeg
    17036528-CAAD-462A-81E9-98BDD40B112A.jpeg
    58.8 KB · Views: 118

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
That all being said, "We don't talk about Bruno" is an good song, but nothing to write home about -- not to mention how its more aligning instrumental wise more akin to music found in Cuba instead of Colombia. So I guess it will be on brand for them to put it in the Mexico pavilion -- A ride based in Colombia with musical stylings of Cuba in the Mexico pavilion.

Yeah, but doesn't Disney still have a slightly used spinning Wild Maus they could retheme to Encanto laying about somewhere in the swamp?

Gringrinngghost

“Nothing to write home about”?
Yes. It’s nothing to write home about. It’s melodically a very standard Latin chord progression that the first 58 seconds of the song you can easily place Smooth by Santana.

If you would like another example and one more poignant, Havana by Camila Cabello which is sitting at 1 Billion views on YouTube. When looked at they both share nearly the same chord progressions, they both share similar hip hop elements.

And one wonders why it’s nothing to write home about. It to myself really takes a lot from Havana alone, but all it does is rearrange them.
So yes, to myself, this song is nothing to write home about — even with the fact it’s viral, especially considering Havana.

Remove TikTok the social media equivalent to a goldfish’s memory and crack cocaine rolled into one, and ask yourself this question. Where would the song be? I can surely tell you one thing, it wasn’t a hit when the soundtrack came out in November… it picked up steam in January…

Last edited:

ToTBellHop

So... Rinse and Repeat?

This happens with every movie from them it seems. People just love it because its new and shiny. I just wonder how the reception would be if it didn't have Lin-Manuel Miranda and his overzealous need to have like 10 rhymes per line.

I'm honestly over the, It just came out, so everyone is clamoring for a ride mindset of late. Its like when a ride closes how its now everyone's favorite ride ever.

And we’ve found the one person on earth who doesn’t appreciate Lin-Manuel, arguably the most talented creator of musical theater of this generation.

I find his writing to be incredibly clever and bringing him on board is one of the few decisions of the Bobs that I celebrate. I certainly think he does a better job than Lopez/Anderson-Lopez.

I will be curious to hear his new songs for The Little Mermaid and how they compare to those of the immensely-talented Howard Ashman.

Last edited:

Gringrinngghost

And we’ve found the one person on earth who doesn’t appreciate Lin-Manuel, arguably the most talented creator of musical theater of this generation.

I find his writing to be incredibly clever and bringing him on board is one of the few decisions of the Bobs that I celebrate. I certainly think he does a better job than Lopez/Anderson-Lopez.

I will be curious to hear his new songs for The Little Mermaid and how they compare to those of the immensely-talented Howard Ashman.
Didn’t people say the same thing about Trey Parker and Matt Stone when the Book of Mormon came out?

Yes, I’ve found nothing from him that I’ve liked. Not a single thing. Same thing with Pharrell Williams, another person where one could argue that he’s the “most talented producer of pop music of this generation.”

In Lin Manuel Miranda’s case, his work seems to be just whitewashing history in Hamiltons case. Hamilton, he whitewashes the fact that Alexander Hamilton himself was a slave owner and his involvement in the genocide of the Native Americans.

So yes, you can say that I don’t appreciate this prior work. Maybe he’ll make something I can appreciate. But from what I’ve seen from him, I’m not impressed.

Lastly the only thing that I can go back to from the Lopez/Anderson-Lopez Broadway shows is Avenue Q which is moreso Lopez and not Anderson-Lopez.

If you also want to ever question why; here is a 22 minute video on how the dies irae is in nearly every song of Sweeney Todd.

Sir_Cliff

I kind of understand why people feel Lin-Manuel Miranda is over-exposed at the moment, but I agree it's one of the better creative relationships Disney has developed in recent times. So far, at least, they also don't over-use him, so it's not like they've fallen into a formula of Lin-Manuel Miranda musical animated features as they kind of did during the early-to-mid-1990s with animated Broadway musicals. So far there have been two fairly far apart, both with massive hit soundtracks and at least one song that seems destined to join the Disney classics.

I don't know if this is controversial, but I recently saw In The Heights and am a little sorry that film and soundtrack didn't get more love. The debate about colourism is completely legitimate, but I kept hearing people raising that issue as part of a broader discussion AND saying the film was wonderful and people should go out and see it. Unfortunately, I think a lot of people vaguely heard something about it being racist and avoided the film entirely. I really love the soundtrack in particular for that film.

Last edited:

Cmdr_Crimson

I kind of understand why people feel Lin-Manuel Miranda is over-exposed at the moment, but I agree it's one of the better creative relationships Disney has developed in recent times. So far, at least, they also don't over-use him, so it's not like they've fallen into a formula of Lin-Manuel Miranda musical animated features as they kind of did during the early-to-mid-1990s with animated Broadway musicals. So far there have been two fairly far apart, both with massive hit soundtracks and at least one song that seems destined to join the Disney classics.

I don't know if this is controversial, but I recently saw In The Heights and am a little sorry that film and soundtrack didn't get more love. The debate about colourism is completely legitimate, but I kept hearing people raising that issue AND saying the film was wonderful and people should go out and see it. Unfortunately, I think a lot of people vaguely heard something about it being racist and avoided the film entirely. I really love the soundtrack in particular for that film.
There is also the other animated film he starred and wrote for Sony Animation that was to get a run in theaters before the shift to streaming named Vivo.

Sir_Cliff

There is also the other animated film he starred and wrote for Sony Animation that was to get a run in theaters before the shift to streaming named Vivo.

This is where I understand getting a bit tired of him. Particularly in the past year there have been a lot of Lin-Manuel Miranda projects coming out. Mind you, I had never heard about this so it didn't contribute to any LMM fatigue for me!

gerarar

Premium Member
So is Hall of Presidents, Muppets edition off the table now?

Wasn't it rumored that Lin-Manuel was "involved" in that?

Cmdr_Crimson

This is where I understand getting a bit tired of him. Particularly in the past year there have been a lot of Lin-Manuel Miranda projects coming out. Mind you, I had never heard about this so it didn't contribute to any LMM fatigue for me!
This one I believe didn't get too much hype...I think there were 2 songs that were popping up here and there in social but, nothing as memorable..

Cmdr_Crimson

For a quick an easily switch...Encanto becomes the next Sing a long at DHS kicking Frozen out and instead of being the "citizens of Arendale" your "Familia of the Encanto"

mattpeto

Yes. It’s nothing to write home about. It’s melodically a very standard Latin chord progression that the first 58 seconds of the song you can easily place Smooth by Santana.

If you would like another example and one more poignant, Havana by Camila Cabello which is sitting at 1 Billion views on YouTube. When looked at they both share nearly the same chord progressions, they both share similar hip hop elements.

And one wonders why it’s nothing to write home about. It to myself really takes a lot from Havana alone, but all it does is rearrange them.
So yes, to myself, this song is nothing to write home about — even with the fact it’s viral, especially considering Havana.

Remove TikTok the social media equivalent to a goldfish’s memory and crack cocaine rolled into one, and ask yourself this question. Where would the song be? I can surely tell you one thing, it wasn’t a hit when the soundtrack came out in November… it picked up steam in January…
You can dismiss it from your personal music tastes, but it doesn’t change that the rest of the music world seems to have it as their favorite song.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom