Like Competition- Why WDW is better than Universal!!!

ParentsOf4

So then.... is Sea World a Theme park or an amusement park? Is Bush Gardens a theme park or an amusement park? Are water parks just water parks or are they "theme" parks or amusement parks? What would Legoland be considered? Maybe I was wrong in saying that Universal was not a "theme" park, but Universal is a "coaster" park whereas Disney World is a whole other ball of wax.:) PS- Should I put in a cute animal so I get more likes? LOL.:D
I don't know about adding more cute animal pictures. I'm not sure Jimmy Thick will be happy if this thread devolves into "Who can post the cutest animal picture?";)

Captain Chaos

I thought Universal had more coasters than that? Are we including Universal Islands of Adventure/Wizarding World of Harry Potter? Are we including "kiddie" coasters? LOL.:D Seriously though, Rock N Roller Coaster is the only "inverted" coaster that WDW has. I still can't see the comparison being fair.:confused:

Potter is a dark ride, not a coaster... OOPS, wait, I forgot Flight of the Hippogriff...

Coasters in Universal: Dueling Dragons, Hulk, Rip Ride Rock It, Mummy, Woody Woodpecker, Flight of the Hippogriff

Coasters in WDW: Rock n Roller Coaster, Big Thunder Mountain, Space Mountain, Expedition Everest, Primeval Whirl, Barnstormer...

Universal's 6 to WDW's 6.... And Disney will have 7D which is considered a coaster, so WDW will have 7...

How is the comparison not fair???? A coaster is a coaster regardless if it is inverted or not... BTMR is a coaster, Space Mountain is a coaster... Barnstormer is a coaster... Everest is a coaster... Primeval Whirl is a coaster... Rock n Roller Coaster is a coaster...

So Universal is no more coaster park that Disney...

bethymouse

OK- I see your point, but why do people go to Disney as opposed to Universal? I guess you could call Cedar Point a "coaster park" then. What is Universal's niche other than Harry Potter? Won't most people say they go to Universal for the coasters? Won't most people say they go to Disney for the magical memories?:confused:

Californian Elitist

Well then, we've opened a "can of worms" here so to speak. What defines a "theme park" as opposed to an "amusement park"?:confused:

An amusement park is just that. A place for amusement, a carnival type place. Like Coney Island. Carnivals arent themed, they offer the typical rides like ferris wheels. Think of the ending of Grease. A theme park is just that. There are specific themes at these parks, for example Disney, DC Comics, sea life and Legos.

Californian Elitist

OK- I see your point, but why do people go to Disney as opposed to Universal? I guess you could call Cedar Point a "coaster park" then. What is Universal's niche other than Harry Potter? Won't most people say they go to Universal for the coasters? Won't most people say they go to Disney for the magical memories?:confused:

Universal Studios Hollywood is heaven for a movie buff like me. The park appeals to movie/film buffs because it's a legendary movie studio that's been around for literally a hundred years. Universal has made so many great films and the backlot tour alone is worth the price of admission. There's nothing like passing by Bates Motel and driving through Wisteria Lane. The rides and attractions are bonuses in my opinion.

bethymouse

"An amusement park in which all the settings and attractions have a central theme, such as the world of the future." This is an interesting definition of theme park I found in the dictionary online. "A commercially operated enterprise that offers rides, games, and other forms of entertainment" This definition is for an amusement park. :)

Nemo14

Time for another cute photo:

thumbnail.aspx

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Just to clear up the rules, are we comparing Walt Disney World to Universal Studios/Islands of Adventure in FL or all of the Universal parks and all of the Disney parks? I have never been to Universal in CA so I can't really speak intelligently about places I have only seen pictures of on the internet or YouTube. I have also never been to any of the international Disney parks.

Assuming we are just focused on WDW and the 2 Universal parks in FL the primary reason WDW is better for me is tradition. The "classic" rides have a nostalgia that cannot be duplicated no matter how much is added to Universal. This is the same reason the MK still tops my list of the 4 Disney parks even though all of the new headliner rides have been in DHS, AK or EPCOT. EPCOT does come close to MK. Universal has no match for that first step onto main street looking up at the castle. They have no match for classic rides like HM, Pirates or Peter Pan or any of the mountians that immediately transport me back to being a kid. Don't get me wrong, Universal has great rides and some really unique things too, but it lacks the tradition. I know I am breaking the rules since this is only supposed to be why WDW is better and not the other way around, but it is a true statement for me. Maybe the next generation that grows up with Uni will feel the same way about Harry Potter or Spiderman or some other rides at Uni.

BryceM

Potter is a dark ride, not a coaster... OOPS, wait, I forgot Flight of the Hippogriff...

Coasters in Universal: Dueling Dragons, Hulk, Rip Ride Rock It, Mummy, Woody Woodpecker, Flight of the Hippogriff

Coasters in WDW: Rock n Roller Coaster, Big Thunder Mountain, Space Mountain, Expedition Everest, Primeval Whirl, Barnstormer...

Universal's 6 to WDW's 6.... And Disney will have 7D which is considered a coaster, so WDW will have 7...

How is the comparison not fair???? A coaster is a coaster regardless if it is inverted or not... BTMR is a coaster, Space Mountain is a coaster... Barnstormer is a coaster... Everest is a coaster... Primeval Whirl is a coaster... Rock n Roller Coaster is a coaster...

So Universal is no more coaster park that Disney...
Disney does have more parks though. Plus Pteradon Flyers counts a coaster. And Dueling Dragons counts as two.

But I still wouldn't call Universal or IOA "coaster parks". Leave that stuff to Cedar Fair and Six Flags.

neoshinok

I spent some time thinking, and the real reason I will always believe Disney is better is because some of my earliest and best childhood memories took place there. I enjoy Universal, I see Disney's flaws, but the memories are what keep me coming back.

baby-bats2.jpg

disney fan 13

When was the last time you visited Universal? Because it sounds like you have ether never been or you did Potter and left.

BryceM

When was the last time you visited Universal? Because it sounds like you have ether never been or you did Potter and left.
I'm sorry bethymouse, but I agree. Have you ever been? People don't go to Universal just for the coasters... The amount of non-coaster rides far out numbers coasters.

In fact, I enjoy going to Universal more occasionally (maybe even most times) due to it being cheaper and it's so much fun! I have some amazing memories from there. And the annual pass for FL residents is only $199! :D

Plus I enjoy the close proximity of everything, that's why I think I would DLR. Anyways, I should seriously take the advice @raven24 gave me... You can't argue for Universal on these forums. It's impossible... :( I just wish people would enjoy the parks and experience instead of constantly feeling the need to bash Universal Orlando Resort and Universal Studios Hollywood... :(

Captain Chaos

Disney does have more parks though. Plus Pteradon Flyers counts a coaster. And Dueling Dragons counts as two.

But I still wouldn't call Universal or IOA "coaster parks". Leave that stuff to Cedar Fair and Six Flags.

Then Space Mountain counts as two coasters... Pteradon Flyers I didn't consider a coaster, but Universal does... So add that... So what do we have?

Universal: Dueling Dragons (2), Hulk, Mummy, Rip Ride Rock It,Woody Woodpecker, Flight of the Hoppigriff, Pteradon Flyers...

WDW: Rock N Roller Coaster, Space Mountain (2), Big Thunder Mountain, Expedition Everest, Primeval Whirl, Barnstormer...

Am I forgetting any?

Universal coaster count: 8
WDW: 7, soon to be 8...

So, yes, Bryce, we agree... Cannot call Universal a coaster park.. leave that for Cedar Fair and Six Flags...

BryceM

Then Space Mountain counts as two coasters... Pteradon Flyers I didn't consider a coaster, but Universal does... So add that... So what do we have?

Universal: Dueling Dragons (2), Hulk, Mummy, Rip Ride Rock It,Woody Woodpecker, Flight of the Hoppigriff, Pteradon Flyers...

WDW: Rock N Roller Coaster, Space Mountain (2), Big Thunder Mountain, Expedition Everest, Primeval Whirl, Barnstormer...

Am I forgetting any?

Universal coaster count: 8
WDW: 7, soon to be 8...

So, yes, Bryce, we agree... Cannot call Universal a coaster park.. leave that for Cedar Fair and Six Flags...
Actually, Primeval Whirl counts as two. So ha! They are tied. Therefore, Universal is as much of a "coaster park" as Disney.

But wait. Disney will have SDMT which means Disney will have more than Universal! :eek:

It bothers me how people call US and IOA coaster parks... Like seriously bothers me.

Californian Elitist

I'm sorry bethymouse, but I agree. Have you ever been? People don't go to Universal just for the coasters... The amount of non-coaster rides far out numbers coasters.

In fact, I enjoy going to Universal more occasionally (maybe even most times) due to it being cheaper and it's so much fun! I have some amazing memories from there. And the annual pass for FL residents is only $199! :D

Plus I enjoy the close proximity of everything, that's why I think I would DLR. Anyways, I should seriously take the advice @raven24 gave me... You can't argue for Universal on these forums. It's impossible... :( I just wish people would enjoy the parks and experience instead of constantly feeling the need to bash Universal Orlando Resort and Universal Studios Hollywood... :(

I mean there really is no point. If people can't convince WDW vets to visit DISNEYLAND, which is owned by the same dang company, there's definitely no hope for Universal. It really is impossible. I laugh at some of these comments towards Universal, though, especially the it being a coaster park comment. After I laugh I just shake my head.

Captain Chaos

Actually, Primeval Whirl counts as two. So ha! They are tied. Therefore, Universal is as much of a "coaster park" as Disney.

But wait. Disney will have SDMT which means Disney will have more than Universal! :eek:

It bothers me how people call US and IOA coaster parks... Like seriously bothers me.
Ok, I'm done LOL... No more counting coasters as two, three, one LOL...

Just give me a fun attraction with all parts working and I'm happy :)

Jimmy Thick

Original Poster
Ok, here are some truths about why Disney World is better than Universal.

* Walt Disney was the innovator of the current ideal of what a theme park is, no matter how hard Universal will try, they will never beat Disney at their own game.

* I have never seen a fist fight at Disney World, I have at Universal.

* Disney World has way better resorts to stay at. Universal will never touch the quality of what a themed resort can be compared to Disney.

* Tower of Terror, the Florida version, is still the best theme park attraction of any theme park anywhere.

* O'Hana is the best restauraunt at any resort anywhere.

Just a small sampling of reasons, more as needed.

Jimmy Thick- <--- Still the best reason to post/read this forum.

BryceM

There was an insane man fighting people in front of Tower of Terror at Disneyland...

I can't argue with you about Tower of Terror at DHS. Nothing will ever compare. Seriously.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom