Lights of Winter not being displayed this year (2009)!?!

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Indeed that's true but it's just one of the many, many energy savings that together added up to significant energy reduction. Think of it this way, LoW played a large symbolic role in the reduction of energy consumption. We can be proud of that.
No, it didn't. One light display, shown at night over a few months at the end of the year had a marginal impact. Again, less than is used for RnRC. With that the symbolism does nothing but fall to the wayside as any of Disney's other excuses.

And be proud of what you want. Let others lament the loss of the display in their own fashion....

Clever Name

I don't know where the idea that Disney cut the LoW to be more green came from, but it's not true.

They cut it for the same reason they cut other things - they want to see how many cutbacks it will take to put them out of business.
The rumors continue that this is the last year for the Osborne Lights as well.

Zummi Gummi

Pioneering the Universe Within!
I do wonder if the Osborne lights going away would be some sort of tipping point. They're much more popular and talked about than LoW ever was. I know people who plan entire vacations around seeing the lights

freediverdude

Yea, I get that they changed the Osborne lights over to LED, but the LoW weren't nearly as many lights, wouldn't make that much difference. I still think it was just cost cutting/not wanting to maintain it.

Magic Feather

Listen this is getting out of hand. Every, and I mean every, cast member I've talked to about this has said that backlot, honey I shrunk, and LMA will be pixar expansion ( not necessesarily Carsland) muppets/ Melrose/ pizza will be made into a larger muppets area ( depending on the new muppets box office turnout) streets of america will stay WITH Osbourne lights, due to its popularity. Then, star wars will occupy part of echo lake, turning sounds dangerous to Jedi. Echo lake will bee filled and have a new building on it which will be the cantina with Indy becoming a Star Wars coaster and possible Indy ride, is Indy comes this will make it George Lucas Land, not Star wars world. The Idol theater is most likely to be renovated for A: a new live computer/ special effects show ( mini no cars LMA) B: this will occupy the new Indy ride C: reconfigured so that entrance is closer to commissary to be a part of ABC lane D: used as an empty theatre like premier. And as for the future of the premier, it will become part of muppet expansion or new rumors from CMs a year round comedy show or a Tangled musical. Also, Little Mermaid by rumor will become Reconfigured to house Mickey and the magical map by taking over a part of One Mans Dream theater making it slightly smaller. Finally, it seems Beauty and the Beast will stay due to what Disney considers popular. The end.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Listen this is getting out of hand. Every, and I mean every, cast member I've talked to about this has said that backlot, honey I shrunk, and LMA will be pixar expansion ( not necessesarily Carsland) muppets/ Melrose/ pizza will be made into a larger muppets area ( depending on the new muppets box office turnout) streets of america will stay WITH Osbourne lights, due to its popularity. Then, star wars will occupy part of echo lake, turning sounds dangerous to Jedi. Echo lake will bee filled and have a new building on it which will be the cantina with Indy becoming a Star Wars coaster and possible Indy ride, is Indy comes this will make it George Lucas Land, not Star wars world. The Idol theater is most likely to be renovated for A: a new live computer/ special effects show ( mini no cars LMA) B: this will occupy the new Indy ride C: reconfigured so that entrance is closer to commissary to be a part of ABC lane D: used as an empty theatre like premier. And as for the future of the premier, it will become part of muppet expansion or new rumors from CMs a year round comedy show or a Tangled musical. Also, Little Mermaid by rumor will become Reconfigured to house Mickey and the magical map by taking over a part of One Mans Dream theater making it slightly smaller. Finally, it seems Beauty and the Beast will stay due to what Disney considers popular. The end.

This sounds great, and I would love to see this plan play out, but unfortunately CM's have proven over and over to be very unreliable sources for this sort of information.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member

Hopefully in the middle of all that they can buy a big wreath for each FW pavilion to upgrade EPCOT as well. I have a wreath on my front door that automatically lights up at dusk each night. I figure some wreaths and light up garlands for EPCOT would help turn the place somewhat festive again, unless guests want "gray, dystopian future theme park world" at Christmas. I bet they could even afford a ton of AAA's for power.

BTW, did you know that B batteries never caught on because people don't like to sound like they are stuttering.

CSUFSteve

FWIW, for those who recall Lights of Winter with fondness as I do, I've posted a video of the full show on YouTube. I'm sure I'm not the only one, but this is in order, from the beginning of the loop to the end, uninterrupted.

The audio is live, with me sitting as close to a speaker as I could get, to drown out background noise as much as possible. You'll notice there's one part where I was apparently missing, like, a second of the speaker-audio, and so I had to use the video-audio.

Unfortunately, the video is from a single angle. I could have done multi-angle, but I think I only had another angle for one song and thought it might be kinda awkward to do that for only one of the songs.

EPCOT Lights of Winter

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
FWIW, for those who recall Lights of Winter with fondness as I do, I've posted a video of the full show on YouTube. I'm sure I'm not the only one, but this is in order, from the beginning of the loop to the end, uninterrupted.

The audio is live, with me sitting as close to a speaker as I could get, to drown out background noise as much as possible. You'll notice there's one part where I was apparently missing, like, a second of the speaker-audio, and so I had to use the video-audio.

Unfortunately, the video is from a single angle. I could have done multi-angle, but I think I only had another angle for one song and thought it might be kinda awkward to do that for only one of the songs.

EPCOT Lights of Winter
Very nice work! Thank for posting.

danpam1024

EPCOT Lights of Winter
very nice :'( do you have video of everything else they're throwing away??? Still gives me chills, it really was spectacular. I guess I am grateful I did get to experience them many times. Thanks

hpyhnt 1000

@CSUFSteve -Actually stumbled on your LoW video on YouTube last night. It was wonderful to see the complete show with pretty clean audio. Thank you for posting it and for the work of putting it together.

Been five years and counting, and we're still waiting for a proper replacement for the Lights of Winter (no, the gospel group doesn't count in my book).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom