Lights of Winter not being displayed this year (2009)!?!

Ignohippo

One reason really: Disney LOVES money! They are not going to give up on charging money to one of their premier Christmas events.

Rent. The Osborne Lights would be a major selling point to getting retailers into Disney Springs. The millions they would make from a successful Disney Springs would compensate for the loss in draw to a park.

When/if the expansions happen to DHS, they won't have to worry about attendance at DHS for quite a few years.

Ignohippo

Free? Seems highly unlikely.

It would also make DTD a complete nightmare every night for two months.

It wouldn't be "free". Retailers pay rent for space in Disney Springs. Just because the money isn't coming from visitors doesn't mean they aren't getting revenue from them.

Plus, think of the merchandising potential with the Lights being right smack dab in the middle of the shops.

As for the "nightmare", retailers would love it if the place were jam-packed with crowds every night for two months. It wouldn't be any more of a "nightmare" than SOA is now, and they'd be making money from the crowds this way.

Ignohippo

Remember, we don't know exactly what their plans are for DHS yet. Even if they demolish SOA, it is still possible that the light show will be changed and worked into the park somehow. I would expect that they would try and keep them at DHS, since the whole reason they are giving the park a makeover is to draw people to it. I can't imagine they would remove an attraction that already acts as a draw.

They won't need the draw for quite a few years if/when they get Star Wars.

Plus, I'm not convinced SOA is going anywhere. This is just the plan in case it does (if they decide to move them and not get rid of them altogether).

Ignohippo

Animal kingdom the lights don't fit in anywhere. Epcot the only viable option would be the world showcase and that probably wouldn't work out for the best. Magic kingdom does not and should not get anything else that would boost it's holiday attendance. They have enough trouble as is. Blizzard beach is closed on random dates when it's too cold so that would be a terrible choice for them to put the lights in. Also only charge for the lights? That is a plan that is downright bad and wouldn't work and Disney even knows that. The lights are a plus and a draw but folks aren't going to pay admission to an empty water park to see a light show that lasts about 5 minutes. At most you could spend an hour there but then what? Doesn't sound worth the price disney would draft up, not to mention blizzard needs whatever downtime they get. Your plan has a few holes. Disney springs really is beyond epcot the only other viable option.

^ This.

Even EPCOT isn't a viable option unless they completely retool them. Most of the lights are made for large flat surfaces, which EPCOT doesn't have, and there isn't one central area to put them (of course, most of the building lights would have to be retooled, anyway). You could adorn each country in Christmas lights (which would be beautiful), but they'd be spread out and you'd have to ignore the countries that don't celebrate Christmas as we do.

Sadly, I think they'd be more likely to get rid of them than go to the expense of outfitting all of the buildings in the WS for them.

Last edited:

Kman101

So it looks like Tokyo even decorated their Mickey Mouse themed handrail thingys on their monorail train. With Santa hats. Amazing what they do, honestly. I can't wait to get to Tokyo. Yet we get things cut left and right. Sigh.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
I think bumping this thread each holiday season is fine and dandy, since apparently it is OK and has become defensible by many fans for EPCOT to remain a lifeless, drab, gray, entity during the holidays with a spot of cheer here and there hidden deep in its Dystopian recesses.

My first Holidays at WDW.... no arches = guest relations....

What crummy luck for this to be your first holiday(s) at WDW. Really crummy.

Seriously.

53 posts, all of which are decrying the loss of LoW, and not a single response? Shame.

It looks like this happened during a time I was busy at work and not paying attention to Disney on the internetz and this makes me retroactively sad.

Anyhoo, true anecdote from just a couple of weeks ago. We're spending a couple of days on property the week before Christmas before visiting all the weirdos that comprise our respective families. We were planning on visiting resorts, looking at pretties, and doing a few off kilter things without entering the parks. In June we will be activating APs and with that timing we will get 3 trips of significance out of them before letting them expire. Anyway, I mentioned the new turrets to the family and showed them the lights. They agreed it looked pretty....they remember Osborne and even though this may be its last year they were still comfortable with just dorking around property. I then turned to the wife. I said, "Remember the two trips we made when we were in graduate school in 1994 and 1996? What if EPCOT were decorated now like it was then?" She said, "I'd insist you buy one day park hoppers (note: she is the ultimate deal finder, she knows this is the exact opposite of a good deal) and that we spend a day walking around looking at decorations in the parks."

NearTheEars

I think bumping this thread each holiday season is fine and dandy, since apparently it is OK and has become defensible by many fans for EPCOT to remain a lifeless, drab, gray, entity during the holidays with a spot of cheer here and there hidden deep in its Dystopian recesses.

What crummy luck for this to be your first holiday(s) at WDW. Really crummy.

It looks like this happened during a time I was busy at work and not paying attention to Disney on the internetz and this makes me retroactively sad.

Anyhoo, true anecdote from just a couple of weeks ago. We're spending a couple of days on property the week before Christmas before visiting all the weirdos that comprise our respective families. We were planning on visiting resorts, looking at pretties, and doing a few off kilter things without entering the parks. In June we will be activating APs and with that timing we will get 3 trips of significance out of them before letting them expire. Anyway, I mentioned the new turrets to the family and showed them the lights. They agreed it looked pretty....they remember Osborne and even though this may be its last year they were still comfortable with just dorking around property. I then turned to the wife. I said, "Remember the two trips we made when we were in graduate school in 1994 and 1996? What if EPCOT were decorated now like it was then?" She said, "I'd insist you buy one day park hoppers (note: she is the ultimate deal finder, she knows this is the exact opposite of a good deal) and that we spend a day walking around looking at decorations in the parks."

I quite enjoy Holidays Around the World, which really isn't hidden or drab.

However, I never got to experience these lights, and so wish that I could have. Too bad there's never been a replacement.

PhilharMagician

I know that for years the Lights of Winter were sitting somewhere rotting away in suran wrap.
Does anyone know for sure if they have been scrapped?

I am sure that they have been scrapped. This will be the 7th year without them.

Epcot was so much fun for the holidays. The tree lighting ceremony with the characters. My kid loved it. Then the LOW shinning in the pools or water on both side was amazingly beautiful.

Hrudey3032

star-shower-laser-light1.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom